Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota vs West Virginia

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Rittenberg first out of the gate:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Chase Field (Phoenix)
10:15 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Both teams have veteran quarterbacks in Tanner Morgan (Minnesota) and Jarret Doege but really lean on their run games and defenses to win. Minnesota overcame several key injuries at running back to win six of its final eight games, including the regular-season finale against Wisconsin. The Gophers are stout along the line of scrimmage and often play well away from home, while West Virginia's big wins (Iowa State, Virginia Tech) came in Morgantown. Boye Mafe and the Gophers' defense rise up, and Minnesota controls tempo to grind out a win in the desert.

Prediction: Minnesota 27, West Virginia 19

Go Gophers!!

CFN chimes in:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl​

Tuesday, December 28
FOX, 10:15 pm
Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ
West Virginia vs Minnesota

Knee-Jerk Instant Analysis: There are two perfectly good football stadiums in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area and they’re going to keep rolling in the baseball park. Minnesota always shows up big in bowl games under PJ Fleck, and the pounding ground game behind the massive offensive line should take over right away.

No Research Bowl Prediction: Minnesota 24, West Virginia 17
Early Bowl Line Guess: Minnesota -6
Actual Line: Minnesota -5

Go Gophers!!

Waiting for the first "expert" to use some version of "they lost to Bowling Green....."

Very interesting how beating Wisconsin makes all of that hurt a heck of a lot less.........
Also interesting how the order matters. Having disappointing losses earlier but then recovering to finish with back to back wins and the Axe to get to 8-4 feels a lot better than if we were 8-2 with the Axe in hand and then we closed out by losing to BGSU and Illinois.

Rittenberg first out of the gate:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Chase Field (Phoenix)
10:15 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Both teams have veteran quarterbacks in Tanner Morgan (Minnesota) and Jarret Doege but really lean on their run games and defenses to win. Minnesota overcame several key injuries at running back to win six of its final eight games, including the regular-season finale against Wisconsin. The Gophers are stout along the line of scrimmage and often play well away from home, while West Virginia's big wins (Iowa State, Virginia Tech) came in Morgantown. Boye Mafe and the Gophers' defense rise up, and Minnesota controls tempo to grind out a win in the desert.

Prediction: Minnesota 27, West Virginia 19

Go Gophers!!

The writer is off a bit. I stated the Gophers would win by 10 points + !!!

I would venture to guess 30-20 in favor of the Maroon and Gold. Watched WVa against Iowa State; they are a little better than their 6-6 record. They will likely have trouble stopping Thomas and Irving for all 4 quarters though.......

Waiting for the first "expert" to use some version of "they lost to Bowling Green....."

Very interesting how beating Wisconsin makes all of that hurt a heck of a lot less.........
Re: your 1st sentence. You mean . . . Like many, many, posters here that just . . . can’t . . . let . . . go . . . . ?!?

Don't know about anyone else but getting Cirroacca back is not hurting my mood at this point at all.

Beat the Mountaineers, get some good kids on signing day, plus some Portal Power, then I'll be back to optimistic again.

Got to get The Pig back...first in Minneapolis next fall...then keeping Floyd again when in Iowa City 2023...

Don't know about anyone else but getting Cirroacca back is not hurting my mood at this point at all.

Beat the Mountaineers, get some good kids on signing day, plus some Portal Power, then I'll be back to optimistic again.

Got to get The Pig back...first in Minneapolis next fall...then keeping Floyd again when in Iowa City 2023...

I love pork!

Game Haus chimes in:

Prediction​

It should be a low-scoring game in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. West Virginia will have a tough time moving the ball with Brown out at running back. Minnesota’s offense will do just enough to win the game.

Minnesota Golden Gophers 21 West Virginia Mountaineers 20

Go Gophers!!

Game Haus chimes in:

Prediction​

It should be a low-scoring game in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. West Virginia will have a tough time moving the ball with Brown out at running back. Minnesota’s offense will do just enough to win the game.

Minnesota Golden Gophers 21 West Virginia Mountaineers 20

Go Gophers!!
Anyone taking the mountaineers to cover is part of the national anti-big ten west conspiracy created by the Penn state fans

Anyone taking the mountaineers to cover is part of the national anti-big ten west conspiracy created by the Penn state fans
A Penn State fan created conspiracy? First I have heard of that one, care to elaborate?

They are going to struggle to move ball but still score 20 points against this defense? Makes no sense.

As unbiased as I can be, the Gophers should dominate this game. And I think they will.

A Penn State fan created conspiracy? First I have heard of that one, care to elaborate?
Penn state fans and coach were the first to call for reshuffling divisions.

He seems to think the thing holding him back is the big ten divisional alignment. Since he made these statements he is

Vs West 4-5 (44%)
Vs East 11-7 (61%)

These guys don't give an actual score, but do not like WVU's chances. (And very amused at how the betting line had moved around.) Was recorded over a week ago and predicted that Leddie Brown would not be playing.

As unbiased as I can be, the Gophers should dominate this game. And I think they will.
Their RB who is opting out looks like he was a huge part of their offense and the backup hasn't done much in limited action. Put up some yards against Kansas when the team ran for 300 so guessing Kansas doesn't put up much resistance in terms of run defense.

Can't really see them scoring much on our defense. Then just a matter of what the Sanford less offense throws at them.

Sanford less offense throws at them.
Yeah I'd think that would only help. Wouldn't be surprised if we put up 30+.

Even with Sanford I'd think we'd score on 'em

We can put up a lot of points if we decide to engage with both hands. If we use one hand only—doing just enough to win (unless we miscalculate)—it could be very close. Hope we run an offense that is a robust and adaptable as our defense.

Last edited:

We can put up a lot of points if we decide to engage with both hands. If we use one hand only—doing just enough to win (unless we miscalculate—it could be very close. Hope we run an offense that is a robust and adaptable as our defense.
No point to hold anything back the way we definitely appear to in the early season games most years. Fleck has shown a willingness to go after it in bowl games.

Heartland College Sports chimes in:

PREDICTION: MINNESOTA 27, WEST VIRGINIA 10​

I think West Virginia is in a bad spot here. Not only are they facing a defense on par with Oklahoma State (who beat them 24-3) but they are playing an 8-4 team coached by PJ Fleck who beat a 14th-ranked and red-hot Wisconsin team the last time they saw the field. You add to that your leading rusher and offensive weapon in Leddie Brown opting out for the NFL Draft and you have trouble brewing. Minnesota is currently favored by 4.0, and I think they cover that without much resistance.

Go Gophers!!

No point to hold anything back the way we definitely appear to in the early season games most years. Fleck has shown a willingness to go after it in bowl games.
Once he sees that UVW can't move the ball and the Gophers are up by 21 in the first half, guns will be blazing.

for some reason, I hear "Mountaineers," and the first thing I think of is the theme song from the "Beverly Hillbillies."

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was shooting for some food,
And up through the ground come a bubbling crude
(Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea)

Top Bottom