McDonald Decommits

McDonald was pretty gun-ho about being a Gopher, recruiting other players to commit here and such. Perhaps when Kill was only recruiting MAC level talent he got discouraged?..

Sounds fishy, either he realized he's a blue chip prospect (the scout article mentions him talking to tOSU) or Kill cooled on him for some reason, cause he was pretty jacked about being a Gopher... Either way s***

Lies. From hawkeye insider. Do not buy.

Sounds fishy, either he realized he's a blue chip prospect (the scout article mentions him talking to tOSU) or Kill cooled on him for some reason, cause he was pretty jacked about being a Gopher... Either way s***

"or kill cooled on him" lmao! i realize we all love kill as do i, but seriously? we aren't wisconsin fans. let's be real.

Maybe he didn't like Kill signing Moulton, Freuchte and whoever else is in the works at WR for the 2012 class? He may have seen his early playing time cut?

I heard people saying he recently received an OSU offer that he was "going to look into".

Maybe he didn't like Kill signing Moulton, Freuchte and whoever else is in the works at WR for the 2012 class? He may have seen his early playing time cut?

He is a 4 star recruit I doubt he is that insecure in his abilities.

Quotes from Scout article:

Andre McDonald admits he might have "jumped the gun" a bit when verbally committing to home state Minnesota in early February. He says that pledge is now soft and he's looking at other schools along with the Gophers.

"I did it because I thought it was where I wanted to be and what I needed," McDonald said of his early commitment. "I just didn't figure out that there might be some things I need that aren't there. It's not that I'm necessarily going to go somewhere else for those missing things. I'm just going to look around a little to see if it's where I want to be."

"I've talked to the (Minnesota) coaches and they understand," the 6-foot-2, 190-pound wide receiver said. "I think they're a little upset and I understand that. But this is going to be my life for the next few years and I have to make sure that Minnesota is where I want to be."

"I'm going to let it play out and I'll know when I know," he said. "I'm just trying to hang out and let it happen. The first time around, I really got stressed out. I didn't see a lot of it coming. I don't want that this time."

He said he is also looking at Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and Illinois. He will be attending MSU's camp in July.

"or kill cooled on him" lmao! i realize we all love kill as do i, but seriously? we aren't wisconsin fans. let's be real.

I was hoping someone would find that funny.

Refresh my memory.. This is the kid from Osseo?

according to the twitterverse he is still a GOPHER!

MattOConnellGI Matt O'Connell (7 mins ago)
Hopkins receiver Andre McDonald tells me via text he had not decommitted from the Gophers. He just left MN camp. Going to talk to him soon.

If he decommits, it wouldn't shock me to see Kill pull the offer, I don't think Kill wants to play those games.

MkAZ you are exactly right about Kill not wanting to play games. He flat out tells them before they sign a letter, "Make sure you want to be a Gopher and want to go thru what we require, or don't sign the paper!" I don't think they will go begging, if they don't want to come the coaches will find someone who wants to be a Gopher.

I talked to Andre at TCF. He said that he wants to be sure of his decision. He had nice things to say about Coach Poore.

I'll post the story later tonight.

Chris Monter

Basically, he can go wherever he feels like going, I will not care. I am used to the local "stars" leaving the state. A few of them like Floyd have panned out as stars, but most have been average to good players, not great players.
If he is looking around, he decommitted, and they should pull the offer. I would approve of that completely.

Perhaps when Kill was only recruiting MAC level talent he got discouraged?..

Check out the various recruiting services about who the Gophers are recruiting before you make a stupid statement like that. Whether the Gophers are able to land top end talent remains to be seen but they certainly are recruiting some pretty highly regarded players with impressive offer lists including WRs rated higher than McDonald.

If he is looking around, he decommitted, and they should pull the offer. I would approve of that completely.

Why would you pull the offer for arguably the top instate recruit? I can understand considering him uncommitted and not holding a spot for him, but pulling the offer? That seems excessive and borderline stupid.

according to the twitterverse he is still a GOPHER!

MattOConnellGI Matt O'Connell (7 mins ago)
Hopkins receiver Andre McDonald tells me via text he had not decommitted from the Gophers. He just left MN camp. Going to talk to him soon.

if hes looking at other schools then he decomitted. it doesn't matter what spin people try to put on it. he could still end up here but if he's looking, he's not committed.

Why would you pull the offer for arguably the top instate recruit? I can understand considering him uncommitted and not holding a spot for him, but pulling the offer? That seems excessive and borderline stupid.

Even if you are a Vadger, I agree completely with your point.

"I did it because I thought it was where I wanted to be and what I needed," McDonald said of his early commitment. "I just didn't figure out that there might be some things I need that aren't there. It's not that I'm necessarily going to go somewhere else for those missing things. I'm just going to look around a little to see if it's where I want to be."

Is anyone else wondering what that is supposed to mean?

Is anyone else wondering what that is supposed to mean?

Maybe he wants to get some breathing room from his family for college? Maybe he wants an atmosphere where the football players are adulated? Maybe he wants to go to a place that has a track record of putting guys into the NFL?

Those are some of my guesses. I still really hope he ends up here. Maybe Nelson ends up recruiting the guy that recruited him :)

Check out the various recruiting services about who the Gophers are recruiting before you make a stupid statement like that. Whether the Gophers are able to land top end talent remains to be seen but they certainly are recruiting some pretty highly regarded players with impressive offer lists including WRs rated higher than McDonald.

What? The WRs they sign are either Division II or community college transfers. Lets get real here folks, the gophers could use a four star WR.

Rivals changed his status from "solid verbal" to "soft verbal" and updated his offer list to include Ohio St., both within the last hour.

I can't decide if I now hate Ohio State more, or the fact that any sane-minded recruit, with as many offers as McDonald has, would even still be considering OSU. Tressell has been the fall guy, as he should be, but every single coach on that staff knew exactly what Tressell knew - guaranteed. Nobody said a word, nobody did anything to fix it, and likely were even bigger enablers than Tressell. And now, if there is any true justice in the world, every single one of them will be fired after this next year (Fickell is "interim", afterall), as should their AD.

Yet, a recruit like McDonald who could go anywhere, gets an offer from OSU and decides seemingly on the spot to open things back up because of said OSU offer? I can't help it, and maybe it's a little raw with me right now having just read this, but it makes me lose respect for Andre, which shouldn't be sweat off his back, but seriously... I don't care if he's 17/18 - have some common sense.

Well I can guarantee that pantherhawk has a 4 hr boner goin after seeing this. Rivals shows Mcdonald has medium interest in Iowa and tOSU now. Iowa really?? And what the hell is so appealing about a school that is about to have the hammer dropped on them??

Well this isn't good news, but pulling his schollie? Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face? Me, I'd use this time at camp to further build our relationship with Andre & to show him how we do it at Minnesota!!!

Top Bottom