Maybe this is a good thing

EG#9

Reaction score
Since 2019, every awful loss PJ has had has been relatively close. He could lie to himself that he wasn't the problem (even though it kept happening over and over again)...it could just be one dropped pass, one missed assignment...he was just unlucky. The last time there was any sort of awful blowout loss to a bad team (excluding 2020 because Covid was an excuse) was the Illinois game that got Robb Smith fired.

Maybe THIS was necessary for PJ to realize he needs to make major changes. This was the easiest conference schedule PJ will have for the rest of his tenure at Minnesota. A single loss to an Illinois or Purdue (much less both) type team will be almost impossible to recover from in the future.

Defensively, Rossi has always gotten way too much praise for holding down bad, one dimensional, B1G West offenses while we drain the clock with our offense. We've never shown we can hold down a good offense like an Iowa or Wisconsin has in past years. I think we are solid enough here not to make a change, but there should be an expectation to improve the tackling across the board in addition to tightening up the coverage.

Offensively, we need a total overhaul in philosophy. For supposedly being a run first team, we A. Don't create nearly enough explosive runs and B. Are not able (and most times don't try) to convert 3rd and 3 or less against fellow power 5 programs. Outside of Mo converting 3rd and shorts last season, those two issues have been there consistently for this program post 2019. The run stuff mirrors what we saw from the Kill/Claeys era. Even if we get to 3rd and 3 via the run, we're going to have to pass. Then we don't have a passing game that is any more likely to convert a 3rd and short than a 3rd and medium. The 2nd and long run plays are especially maddening for this reason.

Going to the portal for at least competition for Athan is mandatory. He's just not accurate enough. In the first half TD's were left on the board to Spencer and Jackson (and CrAB dropped another). There were WR's open all over the field and Athan was like 11/22. The second half (as always) was worse. Morgan was not good post 2019 and yet was never challenged. That mistake cannot be repeated again.

Wenger has to go. If there is no competition for Athan and Wenger is back next year, it will be really hard to believe that PJ will ever turn things around. I hope we can look back at today as an embarrassing, but necessary, even that spurred change to a better future for Gopher football.

I think Rossi has earned some grace based on the past few years but yes, the offense needs tweaking. We're super run dominant but can't compete short to medium passes with any consistency when we need them. I don't want to see anything change in either the offensive line room or the rb room. Qb room needs change for sure. Special teams need a look re: the return game, too.

I think Rossi has earned some grace based on the past few years but yes, the offense needs tweaking. We're super run dominant but can't compete short to medium passes with any consistency when we need them. I don't want to see anything change in either the offensive line room or the rb room. Qb room needs change for sure. Special teams need a look re: the return game, too.
Offense scored 34, 27, and 30 in 3 of the losses this year. That’s really bad on the defense. However what our offense has been doing in the second half of games is equally bad.

Here's what I wish:

I wish we could peer into an alternate universe where we have last year's staff still all on the team.

What would they have been able to do with this year's roster, and all the injuries etc.?

I just have a feeling that guys like Danny Collins have come in and contributed to the significant decline on defense. Rossi is the same. Nubin and Walley are the same.

on the Defense - I don't think Rossi has forgotten how to coach football.
His schemes/philosophy have been successful in the past.

So what changed?

as I see it - either the players on this year's defense lack the athletic ability (size, speed, strength) to execute the defense, or they are struggling with the mental part of the game - learning the defense and then being able to take what they learn in practice and apply it to the game - reading keys and reacting.

I suspect it could be a little of both. the young LB's who had to play on Saturday looked lost out there. I'm not saying it's easy, but presumably these players have been on the team all season. they attend the meetings and go to practice every day. by now, they should have some idea of what is expected of them.

but, if the guys on the other team are faster or stronger than you - and you're not 100% sure what you're supposed to be doing - then that is how you get games like last Saturday.

on the Defense - I don't think Rossi has forgotten how to coach football.
His schemes/philosophy have been successful in the past.

So what changed?

as I see it - either the players on this year's defense lack the athletic ability (size, speed, strength) to execute the defense, or they are struggling with the mental part of the game - learning the defense and then being able to take what they learn in practice and apply it to the game - reading keys and reacting.

I suspect it could be a little of both. the young LB's who had to play on Saturday looked lost out there. I'm not saying it's easy, but presumably these players have been on the team all season. they attend the meetings and go to practice every day. by now, they should have some idea of what is expected of them.

but, if the guys on the other team are faster or stronger than you - and you're not 100% sure what you're supposed to be doing - then that is how you get games like last Saturday.
Speed was most evident in the Purdue game. I shudder to think what this week will ne like. Good thing I will be pheasant hunting.

I wonder if Drake Lindsey can push AK as a true freshman. I kind of doubt Fleck would play a true Freshman at QB, but I hope he’s at least open to a competition.
Add this guy to the Koi Perich list of “sweating it out to signing day,“ I guess.

I wonder if Drake Lindsey can push AK as a true freshman. I kind of doubt Fleck would play a true Freshman at QB, but I hope he’s at least open to a competition.
I think PJ will be playing the best player at each position next year regardless of class. That said, it will be hard for a true freshman to come in and win the job. We need to get him signed.

Since 2019, every awful loss PJ has had has been relatively close. He could lie to himself that he wasn't the problem (even though it kept happening over and over again)...it could just be one dropped pass, one missed assignment...he was just unlucky. The last time there was any sort of awful blowout loss to a bad team (excluding 2020 because Covid was an excuse) was the Illinois game that got Robb Smith fired.

Maybe THIS was necessary for PJ to realize he needs to make major changes. This was the easiest conference schedule PJ will have for the rest of his tenure at Minnesota. A single loss to an Illinois or Purdue (much less both) type team will be almost impossible to recover from in the future.

Defensively, Rossi has always gotten way too much praise for holding down bad, one dimensional, B1G West offenses while we drain the clock with our offense. We've never shown we can hold down a good offense like an Iowa or Wisconsin has in past years. I think we are solid enough here not to make a change, but there should be an expectation to improve the tackling across the board in addition to tightening up the coverage.

Offensively, we need a total overhaul in philosophy. For supposedly being a run first team, we A. Don't create nearly enough explosive runs and B. Are not able (and most times don't try) to convert 3rd and 3 or less against fellow power 5 programs. Outside of Mo converting 3rd and shorts last season, those two issues have been there consistently for this program post 2019. The run stuff mirrors what we saw from the Kill/Claeys era. Even if we get to 3rd and 3 via the run, we're going to have to pass. Then we don't have a passing game that is any more likely to convert a 3rd and short than a 3rd and medium. The 2nd and long run plays are especially maddening for this reason.

Going to the portal for at least competition for Athan is mandatory. He's just not accurate enough. In the first half TD's were left on the board to Spencer and Jackson (and CrAB dropped another). There were WR's open all over the field and Athan was like 11/22. The second half (as always) was worse. Morgan was not good post 2019 and yet was never challenged. That mistake cannot be repeated again.

Wenger has to go. If there is no competition for Athan and Wenger is back next year, it will be really hard to believe that PJ will ever turn things around. I hope we can look back at today as an embarrassing, but necessary, even that spurred change to a better future for Gopher football.
Good post, reminds of one of my favorites-

The Story of the Chinese Farmer

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”
The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”
The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.

I think PJ will be playing the best player at each position next year regardless of class. That said, it will be hard for a true freshman to come in and win the job. We need to get him signed.
Maybe he’ll enroll early?

This season has been bad, with some really awful losses to bad teams. Fleck has done great things in previous years, but this flop couldn't have come at a worse time, on the cusp of 3 more powerful programs joining the conference.

I don't want to minimize some of the great seasons we've had under Fleck because they're the best i've seen in my lifetime, but this season & the recruiting that follows is going to set us up for the type of future we can expect in the "new world".

If we lose Perich or Lindsay, or lose a good young player on the current roster, we're probably headed to the bottom again, where a 7-6 or 6-7 season is best we can do. We really needed to keep momentum going into next season and we've failed to do that.

What makes you think that?

Top Bottom