Maybe it's our turn...

bga1

Reaction score
..to get a big road win like OSU just got. How about tomorrow night versus MSU? We matchup well with them. Go Gophers!

..to get a big road win like OSU just got. How about tomorrow night verus MSU. We matchup well with them. Go Gophers!

Well, we can hope right???;)

That's what my buddy said--I'm fine with beating Ohio State, and it's great that they beat Purdue, but why can't we get one of those wins like Ohio State got tonight? I think a lot of it has to do with us lacking a true scorer who can create his own shot. Hoff is a scorer, but isn't going to do a lot of the things Turner did in the second half. Can't necessarily create his own shot. Westbrook has his moments, but isn't consistently doing the heroics that he turned in for the Wisconsin game(s) last year.

Maybe it's our turn..to get a big road win like OSU just got. How about tomorrow night versus MSU? We matchup well with them. Go Gophers!

Nope. Don't think so.

If you don't have a go-to guy or the ability to execute on offense you can't win on the road against high-quality teams. Think of the Monson years. We never had either. Even with Tubby we don't yet have it. It won't happen.

We did get one of those wins last year (at Wisky). Hopefully we will get another one this year....

Its the same story

and same problem they have had for years. They dont have the horse to take over games---the go to guy----the Willy Burton type player----that can get the big basket on the road when you really need it. Blake is good but not the stud athlete you need.

Tubby has already faxed the forfeit papers to Izzo, due to the fact that we don't have a chance. :confused:

Play the game, dammit!!!

Nope. Don't think so.

If you don't have a go-to guy or the ability to execute on offense you can't win on the road against high-quality teams. Think of the Monson years. We never had either. Even with Tubby we don't yet have it. It won't happen.

I generally agree with your premise, but Monson did have 2 go-to scorers in his tenure. Humphries and Grier. Grier had enough of a supporting cast to get us some road wins in conference, and lead us to the tourney. Humpries could score on just about anyone, but the rest of the team was dismal.

It's been 20 years since we've won there. I would think we're about due. :)

There's a reason why we play the games. Because, of course there is a chance. MSU occasionally has an off day.
Am I seeing right that we play them at home the following week on Saturday? Thats an odd schedule.

I agree BGA. The time has come to beat Michigan State. The Gophers are good enough to do it, if they play well. If not tonight, than certainly 10 days from now in Minneapolis. It's better to play Sparty early in the season than late.

Ohio State's win @ Purdue has upped the ante a little bit. The Buckeyes have beaten one of the heavyweights -- on the road no less -- and the Gophers need to follow suit in at least one of their two games vs. Sparty and/or the home games vs. Purdue and Wisconsin.

We need warriors tonight on the boards. This would be a great game for Iverson/Sampson to realize how big they are and start using their size.

I think a lot of it has to do with us lacking a true scorer who can create his own shot.

If you don't have a go-to guy or the ability to execute on offense you can't win on the road against high-quality teams. Think of the Monson years. We never had either.

They dont have the horse to take over games---the go to guy----the Willy Burton type player----that can get the big basket on the road when you really need it.

I'd argue that a "go to" isn't really a neccesity and it's more about offensive execution like josh pointed out. For example, OSU didn't beat us and they have one of the top five "go to" guys in the nation. I think our execution, although still lacking, has improved since last year. By that I mean I have seen us run some sets besides the three man weave more than twice a game in multiple games. Hopefully we continue to improve on this as the year goes on.

That's what my buddy said--I'm fine with beating Ohio State, and it's great that they beat Purdue, but why can't we get one of those wins like Ohio State got tonight? I think a lot of it has to do with us lacking a true scorer who can create his own shot. Hoff is a scorer, but isn't going to do a lot of the things Turner did in the second half. Can't necessarily create his own shot. Westbrook has his moments, but isn't consistently doing the heroics that he turned in for the Wisconsin game(s) last year.

Not saying you guys can't win tonight, because MSU is certainly beatable. But I think this is a key point. You need a go to guy that can create his own shot. MSU has Green, Morgan, Lucas, and to an extent, Roe, Allen, Summers, and Nix (Sherman hasn't gotten the ball down low enough but he has looked good when attacking) Watch the sweet 16 game against Kansas last year, when a play HAD to get made Lucas found a way to make it happen, this year against Gonzaga same thing. I think tonight will be a good game but I think MSU wins by about 15 or so. We're tough at home.

We'll lose tonight, and here is why.

The Gophers best opportunity to win a game against Sparty is to (1) run, (2) beat them on the boards and (3) execute the half court offense.

(1) The Gophers can't miss their chances, if given them, when they fast break. The Gophers only lost to Michigan St. by 8 at the Big Ten tournament last year with a concerted effort to run in that game. But, it is hard to run against a team that is more athletic than the Gophers at every position.

(2) hard time believing the Gophers will beat them on the boards at their place. Impossible? I say yes.

(3) and does anyone really think that the Gophers will execute any semblance of a half-court set against Michigan St.? Ohio St. made the Gophers look good in the half court. But that is what 7 of 9 from 3-pt. land will do for anyone.

The Gophers are still a couple of players away from swinging with the big boys, IMO.

Impossible is nothing!

I forget the stat but we're 0 and 30 something against ranked opponents on the road. I'm not sure what that translates into years but for nothing other than that I think we have a chance tonight.

0 for our last 37 in true road games vs. ranked opponents, is what the Big Ten Network said last night.

For example, OSU didn't beat us and they have one of the top five "go to" guys in the nation.
After watching Turner last night at Purdue, I have say, maybe the Gophers caught him at a good time. I agree with you, he has to be one of the top five "go to" guys.

Turner: I'd narrow it down even more

He's one of the top 2 go-to guys in the country. Wall is the other.

Without his injury Turner would be right there with Wall for player of the year. And there's still time for him to get back into the conversation.

After watching Turner last night at Purdue, I have say, maybe the Gophers caught him at a good time.

Although Turned didn't take over the Gopher game like he did with Purdue he quietly almost put up a triple double against us. 19/8/7.

(3) and does anyone really think that the Gophers will execute any semblance of a half-court set against Michigan St.? Ohio St. made the Gophers look good in the half court. But that is what 7 of 9 from 3-pt. land will do for anyone.

The Gophers are still a couple of players away from swinging with the big boys, IMO.

Exactly my point earlier with halfcourt execution. You can get around halfcourt execution in 3 ways: 1) defense leading directly to points 2) a guy that you can give it to and he will do everything on his own (E. Turner or D. McCamey-type player), and 3) lights-out from distance

Michigan St. is too good at home to let #1 happen (#1 will happen to a certain extent at home), we don't have a player that leads to #2 being successful, so we are left with #3 being the only chance we have. I posted in another thread that we have to outscore them by at least 24 pts from the outside in order to win.

whycantusblue.jpg

Not saying you guys can't win tonight, because MSU is certainly beatable. But I think this is a key point. You need a go to guy that can create his own shot. MSU has Green, Morgan, Lucas, and to an extent, Roe, Allen, Summers, and Nix (Sherman hasn't gotten the ball down low enough but he has looked good when attacking) Watch the sweet 16 game against Kansas last year, when a play HAD to get made Lucas found a way to make it happen, this year against Gonzaga same thing. I think tonight will be a good game but I think MSU wins by about 15 or so. We're tough at home.

Nix??? Wow thats a stretch and Summers has been off the last few games. MSU by +15???? thats an even bigger stretch. I think MSU wins but Minny covers the spread (MSU -7). Good Luck Gophers. Hope it's a good game.

shikenjanski;167865[B said:
]The Gophers best opportunity to win a game against Sparty is to (1) run, (2) beat them on the boards and [/B](3) execute the half court offense.

(1) The Gophers can't miss their chances, if given them, when they fast break. The Gophers only lost to Michigan St. by 8 at the Big Ten tournament last year with a concerted effort to run in that game. But, it is hard to run against a team that is more athletic than the Gophers at every position.

(2) hard time believing the Gophers will beat them on the boards at their place. Impossible? I say yes.

Point #1) I am not so sure you want to run with State. We can run with anybody and we are suffeciently deep to run 40 minutes.
Point #2) MSU is one of the leaders nationally in rebounding. It is what Tom Izzo does better then any coach in the country. We have only been outrebounded once this year.
Point #3) Has very good validity. If you can get the ball inside to Sampson or Iverson, you could do damage.

Top Bottom