Maya Nnaji, Hopkins 2022, is leaving basketball

ISUnorth

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest considering her recruit status and home town here in the Twin Cities. #9 recruit in Class of 2002 per ESPN. Seems she is leaving basketball to concentrate on studies to become a doctor and not transferring (or at least not transferring for basketball). Was starting for Arizona.

Sounds like she spoke to a burning bush during the week.
The effectiveness of the bush is it speaking to her not her speaking to it.

I know I’ve read here that she doesn’t have a great reputation as a teammate, but stepping aside knowing her future isn’t basketball and knowing she can’t give herself completely to both is an honorable decision for herself and her team.

Most of the young people I know who struggle with emotional and mental health issues have a direct connection to too much in their life. As an outside observer, it seems like a pre med curriculum and high level d1 sports together is a tough hill to climb for most people.

I know I’ve read here that she doesn’t have a great reputation as a teammate, but stepping aside knowing her future isn’t basketball and knowing she can’t give herself completely to both is an honorable decision for herself and her team.

Most of the young people I know who struggle with emotional and mental health issues have a direct connection to too much in their life. As an outside observer, it seems like a pre med curriculum and high level d1 sports together is a tough hill to climb for most people.

I was just joking around. There's WAY more money and prestige in medicine than in women's basketball. She'd be much better suited preparing for O Chem than for Oregon State.

She wasn't just in pre-med. She has been accepted into Arizona's accelerated program for a medical education, which means that she will graduate with her MD in 7 years instead of the usual 8 (4 undergrad + 4 medical school). Being regular pre-med would have been hard enough, but trying to get an MD in an accelerated fashion while also playing high level basketball seemed nearly impossible from the get-go. Kudos to her for trying, but even bigger kudos for knowing she has a brighter future in medicine than basketball.

if she quits basketball, is her education still paid for from her athletic scholarship?

if she quits basketball, is her education still paid for from her athletic scholarship?

I am guessing not, but Arizona is known for its merit scholarships for gifted students so she may have had some academic money in addition to or instead of athletic money.

Never had to take organic chemistry. But I heard the horror stories.

Quantitative research methods was my "owned me" class. Don't fall behind. I'm behind.

I would think not...plus NIL money and other athlete perks. Next we hear she'll be getting a part time job to fund things. Lots of unknowns.

I thought the scholarship was guarenteed by the reforms some years ago:

The Conference’s new rules apply to Pac-12 student-athletes across all sports, and include:

• Athletic scholarships will be guaranteed for four years for student-athletes in all sports.
  • Student-athletes who leave school before graduating will be able to use the remainder of their educational expenses later to earn their degrees

Never had to take organic chemistry. But I heard the horror stories.

Quantitative research methods was my "owned me" class. Don't fall behind. I'm behind.
Organic Chemistry was a punishment and Biochemistry the reward.

I thought the scholarship was guarenteed by the reforms some years ago:
It would seem both reasonable and likely that keeping the scholarship is tied to still playing unless injury. It would be over the top to allow athletes to stop playing voluntarily and keep their scholarships.

The coach did mention that they are hoping she will be able to rejoin the team at a later date this season. So I’m guessing that her athletic scholarship is still covered this year. When my daughter played, you were not allowed to have an academic scholarship or other local scholarship if you were on an athletic scholarship. No double dipping.

The coach did mention that they are hoping she will be able to rejoin the team at a later date this season. So I’m guessing that her athletic scholarship is still covered this year. When my daughter played, you were not allowed to have an academic scholarship or other local scholarship if you were on an athletic scholarship. No double dipping.
That might be an NCAA rule. Keep teams from stacking rosters without using scholarships.

I am guessing not, but Arizona is known for its merit scholarships for gifted students so she may have had some academic money in addition to or instead of athletic money.
Also her brother just signed a 4-year $32mil contract, I don't think tuition money should be too much of an issue for her.

LMAO. I feel this. I hated O Chem and the fact organic lab was its own course too
First semester of O Chem nearly kept me from becoming a pharmacy gopher too. 2nd semester the light turned on and all was well.

Thought this was interesting. Arizona announced walk-on tryouts and in a Twitter thread about that, someone screenshot a previous comment from Nnaji that she left the team due to a toxic environment.

Thought this was interesting. Arizona announced walk-on tryouts and in a Twitter thread about that, someone screenshot a previous comment from Nnaji that she left the team due to a toxic environment.

So she isn't at Arizona anymore (school-wise)?

This would be a huge addition if Coach P could land her for next year!

I really wish we could stop the discussion of her joining the gophers. It would be like adding the toxicity similar to what Destiny Pitts, Jasmine Powelll and that whole situation back into the locker room.

She does not fit in with this group and would not mesh well with the team especially that four sophomore group.

Top Bottom