May 8 Construction Update

Does anyone else think that the last page of that update makes it look like the "Minnesota" on the visitor's side is not centered and instead seems kind of crammed to the left? Also, it looks like the lower left part of the M is messed up. I find it hard to believe they didn't use some software to plan the grid ahead of time. It just looks bad. Hopefully it's just a bad camera angle, but it sure doesn't look that way.

Does anyone else think that the last page of that update makes it look like the "Minnesota" on the visitor's side is not centered and instead seems kind of crammed to the left? Also, it looks like the lower left part of the M is messed up. I find it hard to believe they didn't use some software to plan the grid ahead of time. It just looks bad. Hopefully it's just a bad camera angle, but it sure doesn't look that way.

It is off a little. Someone contacted the site coordinator when the seats first went in and he confirmed that the way the seats on the left were put in was a mistake and they were going to have it fixed.

I believe the M has already been fixed as the aerial photo in the update appears to be a little older than the rest of them.

Does anyone else find it troubling that there will only be one public concourse for the stadium? Trying to get through the concourse at the Dome was a huge headache--I read that the new stadium concourse will be twice as wide as the Dome concourses--well, if there is only one, that would mean the density of people in the concourse at any one time will not change, but, in fact, may increase due to more consistent attendance (2 concourses at .5 width equals 1 concourse at 1.0 width). I'm not thrilled that one of my least favorite parts of the Gopher Gameday experience will not be changing. Can anyone set me straight on this?

Does anyone else find it troubling that there will only be one public concourse for the stadium? Trying to get through the concourse at the Dome was a huge headache--I read that the new stadium concourse will be twice as wide as the Dome concourses--well, if there is only one, that would mean the density of people in the concourse at any one time will not change, but, in fact, may increase due to more consistent attendance (2 concourses at .5 width equals 1 concourse at 1.0 width). I'm not thrilled that one of my least favorite parts of the Gopher Gameday experience will not be changing. Can anyone set me straight on this?

1. The seating capacity is less (by about 15,000)
2. The club level, Loge Boxes and suites have their own private bar and lounge areas and will not use the concourses (removing another, say, 3,000)
3. The "open concourse" will make you feel less claustrophobic
4. The Open end of the stadium will give people a place to go who want to get out of their seats (other than the concourse)
5. More restrooms and vending/seat means less waiting and lines in the concourse.
6. The upper-level concourse will be open on a limited basis (though it doesn't sound like concessions or restrooms will be up there in 2009).
7. More width=better traffic flow. (Four lane highways can carry more than 2x a two-lane highway.)

Goldmember...all your points are valid except for the seating capacity. True the Dome holds 64k and TCF will hold 50k...but how many times did the Gophers ever draw anywhere near 60-64k? Once a year.

1. The seating capacity is less (by about 15,000)
2. The club level, Loge Boxes and suites have their own private bar and lounge areas and will not use the concourses (removing another, say, 3,000)
3. The "open concourse" will make you feel less claustrophobic
4. The Open end of the stadium will give people a place to go who want to get out of their seats (other than the concourse)
5. More restrooms and vending/seat means less waiting and lines in the concourse.
6. The upper-level concourse will be open on a limited basis (though it doesn't sound like concessions or restrooms will be up there in 2009).
7. More width=better traffic flow. (Four lane highways can carry more than 2x a two-lane highway.)

I'd like to second/expand on some of GM's points:
3) I've been in the concourse on a tour. Even if it is crowded with people you won't feel as confined b/c the ceiling is MUCH higher and there is an open view to one side.
5) The limited concessions space forced beer/food sales into the concourse "walking" space at the Dome. The same is true of Gopher gear sales...those kiosks blocked the way in the concourse. That created bottlenecks. This sort of thing shouldn't be a problem at TCF because of the extensive concession sales space and the separate team store. The concession lines were also an issue. Halftime was so brutal because everyone in line for food blocked the whole width of the concourse. That won't be an issue @ TCF with the wider concourse.
7) At the Dome is that there isn't enough room for a 2 way flow of traffic...You were always having to force your way through folks going the other way. This will be significantly alleviated by a wider concourse.

I'm not saying it won't be crowded before/after games...but honestly, what do you expect when 50K people are going in/out of a stadium? Every brand new pro stadium I've been to has huge concourses on multiple levels and they are crowded when a capacity crowd leaves at one time. I don't think expecting a ton of open room before/after games is very realistic.

Last thought...Pre/Post game it will probably be the most crowded on the home side of the field for 2 reasons:
1) The upper concourse on the home side is for premium seat holders only.
2) There are additional exit gates on the visitor side. There are not extra exit gates on the home side b/c of the team store, recruiting room, M room, and premium seatholder areas.

I'd like to second/expand on some of GM's points:
3) I've been in the concourse on a tour. Even if it is crowded with people you won't feel as confined b/c the ceiling is MUCH higher and there is an open view to one side.
5) The limited concessions space forced beer/food sales into the concourse "walking" space at the Dome. The same is true of Gopher gear sales...those kiosks blocked the way in the concourse. That created bottlenecks. This sort of thing shouldn't be a problem at TCF because of the extensive concession sales space and the separate team store. The concession lines were also an issue. Halftime was so brutal because everyone in line for food blocked the whole width of the concourse. That won't be an issue @ TCF with the wider concourse.
7) At the Dome is that there isn't enough room for a 2 way flow of traffic...You were always having to force your way through folks going the other way. This will be significantly alleviated by a wider concourse.

I'm not saying it won't be crowded before/after games...but honestly, what do you expect when 50K people are going in/out of a stadium? Every brand new pro stadium I've been to has huge concourses on multiple levels and they are crowded when a capacity crowd leaves at one time. I don't think expecting a ton of open room before/after games is very realistic.

Last thought...Pre/Post game it will probably be the most crowded on the home side of the field for 2 reasons:
1) The upper concourse on the home side is for premium seat holders only.
2) There are additional exit gates on the visitor side. There are not extra exit gates on the home side b/c of the team store, recruiting room, M room, and premium seatholder areas.

I can buy most of this--I'd be a bit worried that in order to make a few more bucks, the U will expand the concessions etc. into the walking area. Also, what is the story with the upper concourse?--I am assuming that is the area above the upper deck. Will there be anything up there on the visitor's side, or will it just be open space?

I can buy most of this--I'd be a bit worried that in order to make a few more bucks, the U will expand the concessions etc. into the walking area. Also, what is the story with the upper concourse?--I am assuming that is the area above the upper deck. Will there be anything up there on the visitor's side, or will it just be open space?

It appears that for right now it will be open space. The blueprints show no concessions or rest rooms on that level and there doesn't appear to be any construction up there.

Top Bottom