Maxx Williams - How Good is He?

FYI - I updated this article with an additional comparison to Ben Utecht. I see quite a bit of people voted in my poll, thanks.

I wouldn't touch your pole let alone vote in it.

Maxx will be much better than either of those. Maybe Charlie Sanders and Aaron Brown would be comparisons. He was not properly used this year, IMHO. Once the coaches realize how good he is, he could be All American next yr.

Maxx will be much better than either of those. Maybe Charlie Sanders and Aaron Brown would be comparisons. He was not properly used this year, IMHO. Once the coaches realize how good he is, he could be All American next yr.

Really? How would you have used him (note, I'm not disagreeing or making fun of you, just wondering)? Of course this year he also had to compete with Drew Goodger (7 rec, 111 yards, 15.9 avg, long 31, 1 TD) who I assume will be back next year and next year he will have to also complete with the super-tall Nate Wozniak.

That said (and not much of a surprise since I wrote the article), I think you might be right, he could be an All American next year.

I hope wozniak stays at TE that actually catches quite a few balls and does not just develop into an OT or just a blocking TE, Maxx and Wozniak in the 'red zone together, oh boy!

I like the format better over a TDG and know the editor (the tool, not a person) better. Like many people I read and post at both sites; quick posts I will do more often over here (similar to what is a Fanshot over there) where as something more in depth (a Fanpost at TDG) I will typically write over there.

Interesting comparison. Maxx could end up better than both of them but it should be noted that Spaeth was a phenomenal blocker,, which is why he went in the third round and why he had a decently long career in the NFL. Utecht was more of a comparable to Maxx (right now) but always had issues staying healthy.

Right now I see Maxx as a more physical version of Utecht (but can he sing the anthem?) but may develop into a more mobile version of Spaeth- which would be awesome and would lead to big dollars at the next level.

Spaeth was a one-man wrecking crew with unbelievable hands.

He flat out abused people.

Maxx can play in the NFL if he wants. I would encourage him to get more flexible (literally) and work on his speed. He doesn't need to add any more weight.

I would love to see us run 2 TE sets almost exclusively, passing or running the ball. I agree with Studwell. I would like to see Maxxxx gain more flexibilty and speed. I do not recall many college football players that were too flexible or too fast for the game. :) We should all drop an e-mail to the Killer and mention that.

nice article. Maxx can be the best TE in the conference. He has a great mix of physicality and athleticism even though he's not one of those 6'6" beasts out there. He'll continue to get better blocking on the edge and he was already pretty good this year. As a receiver I think his next step is learning how to use his frame to his advantage. He's made some really athletic catches already but all of our WRs need to learn how to use their size to create space and separation as most young receivers need to work on

The roster for the Utecht years say he played at 250, but he never seemed that big. Williams seems a lot bigger than I remember Utecht although he's listed as only being 4 pounds heavier than Utecht's senior playing weight. I think Utecht probably had better straight-line speed than Maxx, but Maxx has really great instincts. He's not as tall as Spaeth or Utecht, but I don't recall Spaeth having the ability to get downfield like Williams.

Williams is going to be a very good TE if he avoids injury. Reminds me a bit of some of those good Wisconsin TEs (Owen Daniels, Jacob Pederson, Lance Kendricks) but he's so much bigger and probably faster than all those guys except Kendrick.

All in all, a great combo TE.

I actually watched and re-watched games focusing on him. I would estimate that he won his block about 75% of the time. I think the sky is the limit on how good he can be. Elmore has tweeted about hitting the weights and about being a great blocker. I think the staff has a plan to run a lot of two TE sets with these guys and really put D's in a box. Leave their base personal in and watch us pound the rock with essentially seven offensive lineman (and possible FB), or bring in an extra LB and face the risk of play action and a mis-match/single coverage because we essentially have 3-4 viable receivers out there, depending on if we use a FB.

He can an NFL player. He simply needs to continue to work on his overall game. Improve his speed, strength, route running, blocking, and BMI. At this point, I would be surprised if he isn't drafted when his college career is finished.

Really? How would you have used him (note, I'm not disagreeing or making fun of you, just wondering)? Of course this year he also had to compete with Drew Goodger (7 rec, 111 yards, 15.9 avg, long 31, 1 TD) who I assume will be back next year and next year he will have to also complete with the super-tall Nate Wozniak.

That said (and not much of a surprise since I wrote the article), I think you might be right, he could be an All American next year.

I meant they didn't throw to him as much as I would have

The thing I think I like about Maxx the best is he bleeds Maroon and Gold and he competes like crazy. Overall, I think our staff really gets our team to compete pretty well but I think it burns inside of Maxx. If he had made a few more of the tough catches he had slip through his fingers and/or broken up at the last minute and if Nelson hadn't missed him a time or two or three when he could have housed it in big situations he likely would have gotten more post season accolades than he has. He's a different player than either Spaeth or Utecht; almost like a compilation of two where he may not be quite the blocker that Speath was and he may not be quite the receiver that Utecht was but from a total package persepective he certainly has a chance to be the best of the bunch. It'll be fun to see if he can take his play to another level, and there is no reason to believe that health permitting he won't improve some each of the next three years.

By the time Maxx is a senior we will be using the term "Beast"

Top Bottom