Maxx to announce at 4 today (Updated-1 PM)

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bittersweet. Feels like he has unfinished business here, but if he goes in the first 2 or 3 rounds it should really help our recruiting and overall "brand."

Sure would be nice to have him for one more year, but it's also great for recruiting to be able to say you developed a 1st or 2nd round pick in only 3 years.

Sure would be nice to have him for one more year, but it's also great for recruiting to be able to say you developed a 1st or 2nd round pick in only 3 years.
How many schools can say this, though? That'd be all first and second round picks except for seniors. In the last three drafts, I can't even really guess how many teams that would be. 40?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I had a dream last night that Maxx was holding up the axe. It has to be a sign he is coming back! :)

Confirmation to what most thought. Best of luck and hopefully a successful NFL career ahead for Maxx!

Not surprised, good luck to him! Thank you for all the exciting plays!

From Gophersports.com

Jan. 2, 2015

Minnesota All-American tight end Maxx Williams announced today that he will enter the 2015 NFL Draft. Williams, who was a redshirt-sophomore in 2014, will forgo his final two years of eligibility at Minnesota.

Williams played in 12 games in 2014 and led the Gophers in receptions (36), receiving yards (569) and touchdowns (8) en route to being named First Team All-American by Sporting News, the Football Writers Association of America and by Phil Steele. Williams also became the third sophomore ever to be named a Mackey Award Finalist and was named a First Team Capital One Academic All-American.

“We appreciate all that Maxx and his family have done for the program,” said Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill. “They are great people and we wish nothing but the best for Maxx as he begins his professional career. Maxx has been an integral part in laying the foundation for our program and has helped move our team forward.”

Williams played in 25 games for Minnesota and ends his collegiate career with 61 receptions for 986 yards and 13 touchdowns.

This begs the question. Why was he redshirted?

You could go one step further then and ask why wasn't he recruited a lot heavier. My guess is he quickly developed into what he is today.

You're asking the "EVERYBODY needs to be redshirted" board why a kid had to be redshirted?

Good luck and good health to Mr.Williams. He won't be the focus of every Defense on the next level. Hope he goes in the 1st or 2nd Round.

You could go one step further then and ask why wasn't he recruited a lot heavier. My guess is he quickly developed into what he is today.

He committed in February of his junior year.

How many schools can say this, though? That'd be all first and second round picks except for seniors. In the last three drafts, I can't even really guess how many teams that would be. 40?

Not sure, but it's really hard. I saw a show about college athletics the other day, and Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss) pointed out that despite playing in the SEC and winning a couple bowl games in a row, they didn't have a single player drafted the past 3 (4?) years.

Another reason why I'm not concerned about "burning" redshirts. Let the best guys play now. If they turn out to be really good, they will likely be gone after 4 years anyway.

Best of luck to Maxx in the NFL. Was really hoping he would come back for one more year but all the signs were pointing to him going pro so not surprised he is making the jump. He and Cobb are going to leave behind some huge shoes to fill on the offense next season.

Another reason why I'm not concerned about "burning" redshirts. Let the best guys play now. If they turn out to be really good, they will likely be gone after 4 years anyway.

When was the last time a gopher declared early? Maroney in 06?

He committed in February of his junior year.

Either way, he hadn't been recruited heavily at that point. If he was a big time recruit, he would have had tons of offers by then.

I was just trying to make the point that he may have just developed very quickly, that is all.

Top Bottom