Max Brosmer: Love this team! Proud of the strides that we have made this spring, but lots of work left to be done… THE CHASE!

People need to open their mind as there are FCS players who can help Gopher football succeed.

This is the year we beat Iowa & Wisconsin
I think a lot more teams will beat Iowa and Wisconsin this year, so…good for trophies but not like when the games meant something like deciding control of the West.

When I read stuff about Max, I think back to some of PJs comments about AK last year, basically saying that he was learning to lead. I'm pretty sure it was the Nebraska game last year, when we were down in the 4th quarter, PJ said (during postgame presser) that AK was standing alone on the sidelines. PJ found him and told him something like "this team needs to hear your voice right now." I don't think Max will need to be told that. And that is hugely encouraging.

Boot camp is over. Now let's go to battle. We will see a true leader emerge once the shooting starts.

When I read stuff about Max, I think back to some of PJs comments about AK last year, basically saying that he was learning to lead. I'm pretty sure it was the Nebraska game last year, when we were down in the 4th quarter, PJ said (during postgame presser) that AK was standing alone on the sidelines. PJ found him and told him something like "this team needs to hear your voice right now." I don't think Max will need to be told that. And that is hugely encouraging.
I was thinking of AK too when I saw this post. I'm a big fan of AK and follow him on Instagram and I don't recall him ever posting about his team like this. Definitely get the vibe that Max is a more natural leader than AK.

People need to open their mind as there are FCS players who can help Gopher football succeed.
Agree 100%.

Yes the majority of FBS players are better than the majority of FCS players, but too many people write off a proven FCS player. A proven FCS player can be better than the 3rd string quarterback from Clemson, Oklahoma, etc.

I still think one of our best transfer portal players ever was Jack Gibbens. Dude is straight up a player. I can't imagine anyone was jumping up and down with excitement when he signed.

What people? GH has been very positive.
That is true but it is also true that there are lots of people that still get hung up on where the player transferred from. And they will get far more excited about a transfer from a name school over a player from a small school. Regardless of what those players may have done prior to coming here.

I look at it a lot like recruiting rankings. Whatever value there is in those is gone the moment a kid steps on campus. Doesn't matter anymore at that point what the kid was rated just matters if they can play. Same can be said for guys coming from small schools and moving up to a conference like a Big Ten. They might have been a late bloomer or under recruited in high school.....only thing that matters is whether or not they can play.

A good long-ago example of this was Karl Mecklenberg in 1981. The dude transferred from I think Auguistana SD. We'd hear his name called as he made tackles, and our season-ticket group was like "Who's he? Can he be any good?" After awhile we got used to seeing/hearing him making tackles, and a few sacks.

He is just a real classic example of a late-blooming player, and he had a long succesful career with the Broncos in the NFL after his Gopher time concluded.

That is true but it is also true that there are lots of people that still get hung up on where the player transferred from. And they will get far more excited about a transfer from a name school over a player from a small school. Regardless of what those players may have done prior to coming here.

I look at it a lot like recruiting rankings. Whatever value there is in those is gone the moment a kid steps on campus. Doesn't matter anymore at that point what the kid was rated just matters if they can play. Same can be said for guys coming from small schools and moving up to a conference like a Big Ten. They might have been a late bloomer or under recruited in high school.....only thing that matters is whether or not they can play.
Agreed. It's going to be a point of contention until he carries a stat line of 250+ with 3 tds and 0 ints vs one of the big boys before anyone gets on board, and even then a number of people will call it a fluke. And this will be even if he's carrying a similar average into the game.

Just give us 60% with minimal turnovers and accurate, unforced passes on 3rd down and we're solid, Max. That's all you've gotta do. Let the run game carry the team, catch em sleeping on the play action when we can.

Agreed. It's going to be a point of contention until he carries a stat line of 250+ with 3 tds and 0 ints vs one of the big boys before anyone gets on board, and even then a number of people will call it a fluke. And this will be even if he's carrying a similar average into the game.

Just give us 60% with minimal turnovers and accurate, unforced passes on 3rd down and we're solid, Max. That's all you've gotta do. Let the run game carry the team, catch em sleeping on the play action when we can.
My hunch is Brosmer will end up with a season somewhere in between 2019 Morgan and non-2019 Morgan. If so, it would be a huge improvement over what we had last year.

Based on the number of players over the recent past that came from CC's or lower levels and excelled here, it still miffs me a bit.

Based on the number of players over the recent past that came from CC's or lower levels and excelled here, it still miffs me a bit.
Couldn't agree more. I mean I get it, it feels more exciting when a player transfers in from an SEC school or some other big program. But at the end of the day it all boils down to whether or not the kid can play. Will he be a Jack Gibbons who comes in from a smaller school and flourishes or will he be Dylan Wright who comes from a big name program but never really does much of anything?

Leadership, culture & values make a college football program & society better. Missing any of those is what the bad programs have in common. PJ makes Minnesota better. The ignorant, dimwitted, closed minded disagree.

My hunch is Brosmer will end up with a season somewhere in between 2019 Morgan and non-2019 Morgan. If so, it would be a huge improvement over what we had last year.
If we can get that, it sounds like an 8 win year at worst!

Feels like a little closer to 2019 Morgan than not. I think we're sleeping on the rest of the team as well.

Feels like a little closer to 2019 Morgan than not. I think we're sleeping on the rest of the team as well.
I think the thing holding us back there is lack of great receivers.

Question also becomes how underrated are our receivers considering the inconsistencies of last year? Jackson is clearly a top tier receiver, maybe we have some diamonds in the rough that just need a catchable ball in their orbit🤷

Our receivers had such bad QB play, and only 24 pass attempts per game. That was even less than Iowa!!

There was huge growth in receiving production from 2018 to 2019.

But 2019 was just a two-man show. Now, Cristian Driver and Tyler Williams give us real options.

Our receivers had such bad QB play, and only 24 pass attempts per game. That was even less than Iowa!!

There was huge growth in receiving production from 2018 to 2019.

But 2019 was just a two-man show. Now, Cristian Driver and Tyler Williams give us real options.
Look to the TEs & RBs for a better passing game.

Top Bottom