maturi will hire Florida Gator assistant HC

No thanks.

And be 2003 Iowa State part 2? No thanks.

What would be different with him this time around? Same guy.

Successful FB coaches in college are good or they aren't. I don't know of a case where a guy got fired for not winning enough and was better at it the 2nd time around.

College isn't like the NFL where Belechick was better in NE than he was in Cleveland.

That isn't going to get the base of fans excited....and they need to be shown that things will be different this time...we have to beat Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St on a regular basis. I don't see Dan being able to do that.

GM

And be 2003 Iowa State part 2? No thanks.

What would be different with him this time around? Same guy.

Successful FB coaches in college are good or they aren't. I don't know of a case where a guy got fired for not winning enough and was better at it the 2nd time around.

College isn't like the NFL where Belechick was better in NE than he was in Cleveland.

That isn't going to get the base of fans excited....and they need to be shown that things will be different this time...we have to beat Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St on a regular basis. I don't see Dan being able to do that.

GM

Sounds like a candidate at least. Wild card now is how he has recruited FL and how he's received down there. If he can kick in a young top FL assistant coach that would make it different ballgame than ISU. The guy did beat Ferentz quite a few times. Not my #1 choice but if he can play up the florida pipeline, he may bring something to the table.

I'm starting to like Jerry Kill from NIU more and more too. Just beat Al Golden and Temple for what will probably be the MAC title. Still like Golden as candidate #1.

McCarney is too old - it would be Cal Stoll all over again. He'd be lucky to go .500 with our schedules. We need a winning 1A coach or winning pro coach, period. Nebraska will be kicking our butt - including in in-state recruiting. They will just kill us, as they did Iowa State most years.

McCarney's a good guy, but I share the opinion of many here that there are too many down-side angles to a choice like this.

He is in his first year at FL and wasn't even THEIR first choice, he was a last minute fill in after their original hire pulled a Mason and backed out.

He is in his first year at FL and wasn't even THEIR first choice, he was a last minute fill in after their original hire pulled a Mason and backed out.

he is in his THIRD year at fl now.

Ughhhhh. He is very highly experienced, but mostly at losing. He was 56-85 at Iowa State. Yes, 56-85! He also went 27-68 in conference play. He's also 57 years old. Please for the love of God.....if we were to hire this guy, I would just be sick. :cry:

Ughhhhh. He is very highly experienced, but mostly at losing. He was 56-85 at Iowa State. Yes, 56-85! He also went 27-68 in conference play. He's also 57 years old. Please for the love of God.....if we were to hire this guy, I would just be sick. :cry:

I agree with you that Mr. McCarney should not be the coach at Minnesota next year. However, he made Iowa State a better football program. The Cyclones had been to 4 bowl games in program history before he arrived. McCarney took the Cyclones to 5 bowl games and won the first 2 in program history (2000 and 2004). He was 6-6 against Iowa (ISU's most important game) and he beat Nebraska 2 times, which was impressive considering the Cyclones have a total of 4 wins against Nebby since 1977. He emphasized rivalry games and his teams typically played well in them. McCarney did better than any other coach in ISU history I would argue.

My apologies he is in his 3rd year, but the rest of the post is accurate.

I know it isn't the exact same circumstances, but St. Thomas hired Caruso simply because the guy made Macelester significantly better than they were in recent Mac history. He wasn't setting the world on fire at Mac but the fact that Mac became OK was seen as a respective success. I think the people who like McCarney are acknowledging that repeated bowl games and intraconference success at ISU is an achievement.

I posted this about a month ago (http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=19947). I don't know if McCarney can recruit, and I know he wouldn't be the glitzy hire, but I think there is substance there. If he can recruit, or put together a staff that can recruit, I'm confident he can make kids better.

Off topic - I did send Maturi an email Saturday night regarding Brewster and have not yet received a response. He has always responded, and it has never taken him this long to do so. Hmmmm....

I don't care if he can recruit...can he Coach?

Sick of all these rumors with these "chance" candidates...

If you're looking for someone up-and-coming whose got a pedigree, try Mark Stoops, DC at Florida State. After seeing what his defense did to Miami Saturday night he looks like a pretty intriguing candidate.

I agree with the other posters above. McCarney is not the right guy based upon his record at ISU.

A tweet from Yahoo's Tom Dienhart:

"If Minnesota makes a coaching change, the hot name I hear for the job is former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney, an assistant at Florida."

Go Gophers!!

My biggest concern with McCarney is that he's been out of a head coaching job for a few years now and has not advanced past being a defensive line coach since. Is there a reason for that? Is he just being really selective in the jobs that he's offered, or is there no interest in him?

Beyond that, he seems like a guy who at the very least would stop the downward spiral we're in. you don't go 9-3 at Iowa state by being a bumbling idiot.

He is "Assistant Head Coach - Defense/DLine". I don't know what the AHC title means, other than perhaps a better title and maybe more money? Isn't Orgeron the AHC for USC now?

I'd be all for looking at other candidates, but I think McCarney could be a good hire. We'll see!

I believe McCarney got in hot water at ISU for domestic assault a few years back, you know that will be brought up if he becomes a candidate.

I believe McCarney got in hot water at ISU for domestic assault a few years back, you know that will be brought up if he becomes a candidate.

Someone at the Des Moines Register got the ex-Mrs. McCarney to come forward with allegations of domestic abuse. Ex-Mrs. McCarney clammed-up very quickly when she realized that her ex could possibly lose his job and she could lose her alimony check.

My biggest concern with McCarney is that he's been out of a head coaching job for a few years now and has not advanced past being a defensive line coach since. Is there a reason for that? Is he just being really selective in the jobs that he's offered, or is there no interest in him?

Beyond that, he seems like a guy who at the very least would stop the downward spiral we're in. you don't go 9-3 at Iowa state by being a bumbling idiot.

Then how do you explain going 2-10?

Could it be...

...this is a 1 yr move to placate the fan base.

We have all said we want Maturi having no part of the hire for the new coach....well if McCarney knows he could be canned after 1 yr....this might be a lump sum to sail into retirement with.

Only reason why I can think this would be a good idea....and I still don't think it is.

Who does he bring along as assistants? This is why I'd like a current proven big name successful HC.

I agree with ButchNashGuy in another thread....this might force me on sabbatical for a yr until we actually behave like a big time program that JUST BUILT A $250M STADIUM!! FOR PETE'S SAKE!! COME ON BRUINICKS ...PLEASE SAY IT AINT SO!

Ok...I'm getting too worked up over something that is likely 6 weeks away. But I feel the same as I did when Brewster caved in and hired Cosgrove.....cold and numb. (but not comfortably numb - yes that is a reference to the song)

GM

Top Bottom