Maturi today on Sports Huddle

station19

Reaction score
JM said today he would be upset if he was a Badger fan. "The don't play Iowa every year, they don't play Nebraska every year and they don't play Northwestern(closest geographicly) every year.

He also said he has talked to Tom Osborne about a trophy for the Ne/MN games.

How do you say they got screwed, oh yeah, they got screwed.

also when pressed by Dave Mona about building TCF on campus for the students and alumni, how are the student sales coming? Joel conceded they are approaching 8,000 student season tickets. And if they are not sold by some date, they will be available. There are how many students on the campus? Single game tickets are avialable for the USD Coyotes.

And then the question about the Vikes playing at TCF during construction of any new stadium. First he said he would not enclose the plaza end. Then, he said the Bowl could be upperdecked, but then he said Vince Lombardi once said 60,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium is better than 60,000 in a 70,000 seat stadium. Then he said any Vike seating would be temporary bleachers in the open end. Touchem All Joel!

Nice segments today. Had Brew on, Weber/Royston/Kirksey on for about an hour, then Joel. About 2 hours of pure Gopher coverage this morning. Loved some of the comments by Joel. Its safe to say reading in between the lines that Alvarez was pissed about how the divisions came out but couldn't do anything about it.

He also mentioned openning of The Gopher Hall of Fame building named for T. Denny Sanford. He said if you are a Gopher fan, you'll be amazed. I cann't remember when it opens or opened. I will be going in early for the SDU game, I think I'll take it in.

JM said today he would be upset if he was a Badger fan. "The don't play Iowa every year, they don't play Nebraska every year and they don't play Northwestern(closest geographicly) every year.

He also said he has talked to Tom Osborne about a trophy for the Ne/MN games.

I vote no on more trophies. Unless they have some relic from the old Husker games, leave it alone. That Penn State trophy is the most pointless one in college sports.

NOOOO More Trophy Games

There are too many now.

they are approaching 8,000 student season tickets. And if they are not sold by some date, they will be available.

That means another 2,000 Hawkeye fans on 11/27. The good news is that the seats generate more revenue when sold on a single game basis to the general public, as opposed to selling to the students. The bad news is a lot of them will go unsold.

We didn't steal the first one...

I agree. Unless Someone steals something. No more.

Michigan left it, and we refused to return it immediately. We told Yost to come back and win it.

I vote no on more trophies. Unless they have some relic from the old Husker games, leave it alone. That Penn State trophy is the most pointless one in college sports.

Have you seen the Land Grant trophy? That one is pointless AND ugly.

I really hope we don't just make up a trophy for Nebraska. At least we have history with Nebraska going way back.

I agree....unless it is something like the slab of bacon...

...something that has history (photographic proof required) between NE and MN back to the 50+ times we have played....forget it.

I'd almost just as soon retire the bell....especially since we are in different divisions.

On a side note....bring back the slab of bacon....I'm ok retiring the axe for the bacon.

GM

Have you seen the Land Grant trophy? That one is pointless AND ugly.

I really hope we don't just make up a trophy for Nebraska. At least we have history with Nebraska going way back.

The Land Grant Trophy is 1A on my list.

He also mentioned openning of The Gopher Hall of Fame building named for T. Denny Sanford. He said if you are a Gopher fan, you'll be amazed. I cann't remember when it opens or opened. I will be going in early for the SDU game, I think I'll take it in.

Just an FYI for you, the HOF may not be really accessible on gamedays. It is built in by the M Club and I believe is only reachable via the premium seatholder entrance. I hope I'm wrong, but that was the design that was most recently discussed/disclosed on the board prior to TCF opening.

Just an FYI for you, the HOF may not be really accessible on gamedays. It is built in by the M Club and I believe is only reachable via the premium seatholder entrance. I hope I'm wrong, but that was the design that was most recently discussed/disclosed on the board prior to TCF opening.

Athletics Hall of Fame Opens Sept. 10
Courtesy: University of Minnesota

Release:09/02/2010

Share Email Print

Photo Album
Bid now on Minnesota-South Dakota Game Auction!

Courtesy: Eric Miller/University of Minnesota
http://gophersports.com/

For the first time, Golden Gopher fans will have one space dedicated to the history and tradition of Gopher Sports. On Friday, September 10, the T. Denny Sanford Athletics Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium opens its doors public with a public open house from 6-8 p.m.

The open house will be preceded by a ceremonial ribbon-cutting with university president Robert Bruininks, athletics director Joel Maturi and T. Denny Sanford. Sanford's gift, the largest personal gift to TCF Bank Stadium, made the Hall of Fame possible.

The Hall of Fame is located on the Southwest corner of TCF Bank Stadium between Goldy's Locker Room and the Stadium Ticket Office. Fans can access the Hall of Fame through the John & Nancy Lindahl Premium Entrance (Benton County). Admission is free.

The Hall of Fame honors the teams, student-athletes and coaches that have made Minnesota’s Athletics program one of the nation’s best. The more than 5,000-square foot space features exhibits for all of the 25 Gopher Sports through dramatic imagery, artifacts and interactive kiosks. Visitors to the Hall of Fame will also hear a soundscape with some of the great radio calls from Minnesota’s play-by-play voices. The space also honors the members of the ‘M’ Club Hall of Fame with a wall complete with plaques for each inductee.

The Hall of Fame will be open to the public Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. beginning September 13 and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The Hall of Fame will be closed on Sundays.

On home football Saturdays, the Hall of Fame will be open only to ticketed individuals beginning two hours prior to kickoff.

ticketed individuals....................Does that mean game ticket holders or premium ticket holders. Kind of confusing.

The Liberty Bell trophy was established to commemorate PSU's entry into the BT. They just happened to choose MN to be their first victim. The trophy means nothing to most at either school I would suspect. Why not switch it over to a game between Neb. and PSU to commerate Nebraska's entry into the BT. Then we'd be rid of one trophy game and could consider starting something new with Nebraska.

close...

The Liberty Bell trophy was established to commemorate PSU's entry into the BT. They just happened to choose MN to be their first victim. The trophy means nothing to most at either school I would suspect. Why not switch it over to a game between Neb. and PSU to commerate Nebraska's entry into the BT. Then we'd be rid of one trophy game and could consider starting something new with Nebraska.

The Governor's trophy is contested between the "U" and PSU, and there was no "choice" except by the Big Ten office.

Nebraska nad Minnesota could fight over something that resembles what we have in common. I think we form a plaque out of pig *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and fashion it in the shape of the state of Iowa since we both border the state, and the loser must keep the trophy and proudly display it in a public space until the next time the two teams meet.

Nebraska and Minnesota could fight over something that resembles what we have in common. I think we form a plaque out of pig *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and fashion it in the shape of the state of Iowa since we both border the state, and the loser must keep the trophy and proudly display it in a public space until the next time the two teams meet.

We could just get the Land Grant Trophy and use that, it basically looks just as good.

Athletics Hall of Fame Opens Sept. 10
Courtesy: University of Minnesota

Release:09/02/2010

Share Email Print

Photo Album
Bid now on Minnesota-South Dakota Game Auction!

Courtesy: Eric Miller/University of Minnesota
http://gophersports.com/

For the first time, Golden Gopher fans will have one space dedicated to the history and tradition of Gopher Sports. On Friday, September 10, the T. Denny Sanford Athletics Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium opens its doors public with a public open house from 6-8 p.m.

The open house will be preceded by a ceremonial ribbon-cutting with university president Robert Bruininks, athletics director Joel Maturi and T. Denny Sanford. Sanford's gift, the largest personal gift to TCF Bank Stadium, made the Hall of Fame possible.

The Hall of Fame is located on the Southwest corner of TCF Bank Stadium between Goldy's Locker Room and the Stadium Ticket Office. Fans can access the Hall of Fame through the John & Nancy Lindahl Premium Entrance (Benton County). Admission is free.

The Hall of Fame honors the teams, student-athletes and coaches that have made Minnesota’s Athletics program one of the nation’s best. The more than 5,000-square foot space features exhibits for all of the 25 Gopher Sports through dramatic imagery, artifacts and interactive kiosks. Visitors to the Hall of Fame will also hear a soundscape with some of the great radio calls from Minnesota’s play-by-play voices. The space also honors the members of the ‘M’ Club Hall of Fame with a wall complete with plaques for each inductee.

The Hall of Fame will be open to the public Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. beginning September 13 and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The Hall of Fame will be closed on Sundays.

On home football Saturdays, the Hall of Fame will be open only to ticketed individuals beginning two hours prior to kickoff.

ticketed individuals....................Does that mean game ticket holders or premium ticket holders. Kind of confusing.

Sounds to me like it would be any ticket holder. I think the U would have spelled it out if they were going to limit it further. This is a good move, and I'm glad to see the U do it.

Top Bottom