Maturi this is on YOU

GoForGold

Reaction score
Hiring a coach NO with experience as a head college head coach to replace a decent, but not great, head coach at a critical time in this program's history is inexcusable. Drop minor non-revenue sports like other Big Ten schools, like Wisconsin, has done and focus on football or get out all together.

Hiring a coach NO with experience has a head college head coach to replace a decent, but not great, head coach at a critical time in this program's history is inexcusable. Drop minor non-revenue sports like other Big Ten schools, like Wisconsin, has done and focus on football or get out all together.

Maturi waited too long to fire Mason, who by no means was decent. Brewster managed 3 wins in the Big Ten two of his three years here so far...and everyone (rightly) agrees he's terrible.

Hiring a coach NO with experience as a head college head coach to replace a decent, but not great, head coach at a critical time in this program's history is inexcusable. Drop minor non-revenue sports like other Big Ten schools, like Wisconsin, has done and focus on football or get out all together.

I agree completely with your first sentence. I disagree completely with your second.

Hiring a coach NO with experience has a head college head coach to replace a decent, but not great, head coach at a critical time in this program's history is inexcusable.

That was awesome!

Whiskey? Gin?

I agree completely with your first sentence. I disagree completely with your second.

The second sentence is tough to swallow, I know, but it's the truth. The U of Minnesota supports more sports programs than Wisconsin or Iowa. We put much less money into our football program than those two schools. We have seen the results on the football field for many years.

Al I can say to all the kool- aid drinkers is I told you so. This guy never should have been hired. Maturi and the kool- aid drinkers bought his sales pitch and were sold a lemon. He ignored the 17 years of evidence that every other coach and AD deemed him not qualified for a coordinator much less head coach position. He then brings in several castoff coaches, including a DC in Cosgrove who was shown the door by two different hall of fame coaches. They had way better candidates interested in the job at the time Brewster got it but Maturi screwed it up.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the search this time, if Maturi leads it again, if they bring in an outside consultant like a Tony Dungy to offer advice/help interview, if a guy like Leo Lewis is more involved, etc.

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting to see how they handle the search this time, if Maturi leads it again, if they bring in an outside consultant like a Tony Dungy to offer advice/help interview, if a guy like Leo Lewis is more involved, etc.

Go Gophers!!

I think they had consultants the last time, just did not utilize them.

I agree with dropping non revenue sports. Wisky dropped baseball years ago. Maturi loves the minor women's sports like rowing and tennis and he loves all the men's sports. Who cares about men's tennis or gymnastics? Maturi and his ugly maroon sports coat has to go. He is almost as stupid as Brew.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, was that you in Sec212, row 21 towards the end of the game talking to the 2 guys behind me in row 22? He said basically the same thing.

That was my good buddy talking to those guys...he and I were discussing it all night.

I'll introduce myself next game so we can put a face with a moniker after all these years!

Go Gophers!!

.....and this is why Brewster is not the problem. It is Maturi who needs to be let go. Sorry to say it, because he actually is a nice guy.

Some of the other sports have been respectable, but football is where you cannot strike out when you are an AD. Maturi struck out with Brewster.

And sorry, Joel, you won't be able to use your successes here to get your Notre Dame dream job.

i said this to maturi after the game, and he said he would hire brewster again if he had the chance. what an absolute idiot.

I'm pretty sure the "M" club recommended Mark Trestman to Maturi during the last search, and Maturi said I'm the AD and will hire the coach. Trestman wanted to come, but instead went to canada and won a grey cup. Would he still want to come?? Maturi cannot make the call.

I'm pretty sure the "M" club recommended Mark Trestman to Maturi during the last search, and Maturi said I'm the AD and will hire the coach. Trestman wanted to come, but instead went to canada and won a grey cup. Would he still want to come?? Maturi cannot make the call.

Hmm....a guy that has spent two of the last 25 years at the collegiate level. Canned after just two seasons at the college level. Couldn't find a job in 2007. Now coaches in Siberia....I mean Canada.

In his ENTIRE career dating back to 1981, has never spent more than 3 seasons at the same job. Repeat: has never spent more than 3 seasons at the same job.

Didn't the U spend a bunch of money on a search commitee that brought Brewster to the top of the list?

Hmm....a guy that has spent two of the last 25 years at the collegiate level. Canned after just two seasons at the college level. Couldn't find a job in 2007. Now coaches in Siberia....I mean Canada.

In his ENTIRE career dating back to 1981, has never spent more than 3 seasons at the same job. Repeat: has never spent more than 3 seasons at the same job.

Trestman, Hohensee, Bob Nielson, Mike Grant .... maybe we don't deserve to be a winning program.

My email to Maturi

Mr. Maturi,

Yesterday's football loss was a very difficult one to swallow. I believe we have the talent to compete with most Big Ten teams and to dominate lesser division teams...yet we do not and have not been doing that. The loss to SoDak was embarrassing and the loss last night to NIU was downright pathetic.

I have been a big supporter of Coach Brewster for the last 3 plus years and will continue to support the U of M sports programs...but it is clearly time to make a change.

I agreed with your termination of Coach Mason...I just thought it should have came a year earlier. Wating until after the bowl game really hurt our chances to secure an experienced quality head coach and secure any talented recruits. Waiting cost us too much.

We are at that crossroads again in our program...do we wait and hope or do we move quickly and aggressively? We tried the wait and see game last time and it got us here...maybe we should try something new this time.

The football program is profitable...and if it was a winning program...it would be more profitable. We have to invest in the program by hiring a real leader...someone that has a track record of winning and recruiting and developing talent and the top levels. Someone who can step in immediately at years end and recruit new talent and retain our best players. We need to be willing to spend the money on a top notch head coach and top notch coordinators...expand the budget...hire a winner and see the rewards that our neighbors to the east and south have seen...we play in the best conference in the US...our schedule will include some of the best and most storied football programs in college football...if we compete and win...we will get the revenue and financial support we need.

Tell the football world we are looking for a new HC and we are willing to spend the necessary funds to secure a top talent...the U is one great opportunity...please don't wait...let this season be the last lost season.

Please tell me you're making this up. Please.

The auto reply email I got back from Maturi today said he's in Dallas for AD meetings until Wednesday, so was he really at the game yesterday?

The auto reply email I got back from Maturi today said he's in Dallas for AD meetings until Wednesday, so was he really at the game yesterday?

Yeah, he was on the field accepting the giant check (literally) from Boston Scientific.

You guys are morons. You act like no other DI school in the country has ever hired a football coach that has failed before. I shouldn't have to remind anyone how many failed head coaches that Notre Dame has run through in recent years. The U hasn't had a decent coach since Holtz and many of us knew that he was going to move on at the first opportunity.

Maturi had the right idea when he hired Brewster. He needed to find a recognized recruiter who could put together a decent coaching staff. Brewster has obviously failed with his coaching staff. He got off to the wrong start with his offensive and defensive coordinators in the first year and he has been scrambling to correct the problems ever since.

Top Bottom