Maturi out June 30?

If his contract us up and the U isn't out any money, I can't see them bringing Maturi back.

Maybe Dungy will be our AD. Like how Tom Osborne came back to Nebraska to be the AD haha jk.

But that means Maturi will still be able to pick the next coach...

I'm guessing if he is going to be out, the leaders won't allow him to pick. It will be done by a committee

Correct. There's almost no chance they would. At most he would be on the Committee, but he would not pick by himself.

This wouldn't help the hiring process of a coach. That person is going to want to know who his boss is going to be (especially any of the top-notch candidates).

This wouldn't help the hiring process of a coach. That person is going to want to know who his boss is going to be (especially any of the top-notch candidates).

Exactly. If we have some shadowy committee hiring the next coach while he is still our AD, doesn't it kind of make his job redundant?

It's not ideal, but given the choice between an unknown person and Joel Maturi being my boss, I'll take the unknown. Besides, Maturi wasn't long for this job in any case. Whoever takes it knows that the majority of their tenure will be with the next AD. Now he'll be gone a few months into it, instead of 1-2 years. They may even be able to sell the new coach and Tubby that they can have input on the hire.

It's not ideal, but given the choice between an unknown person and Joel Maturi being my boss, I'll take the unknown. Besides, Maturi wasn't long for this job in any case. Whoever takes it knows that the majority of their tenure will be with the next AD. Now he'll be gone a few months into it, instead of 1-2 years. They may even be able to sell the new coach and Tubby that they can have input on the hire.

that makes sense.

I guess all implications lead us to believe the U wont throw a bunch of money around, but if you are a top candidate and the Gophs shell out 3 mill a year and remind people it is a Big 10 gig, they may be more inclined not to care about the lack of having a boss.

It would be nice to get to pick your own boss with Tubby Smith.

With this fiasco, Joel needs to be asked to RESIGN immediately, not retire with accolades.

I sure hope Maturi doesn't pick the next coach. I'm sure Tubby Smith will be glad to see Joel go too.

I'd like an AD who'd cut the non-rev sports to meet the Big Ten minimum. I could care less if baseball is gone. All future spending increases go strictly for Mens Hoops and Football. Hockey budget can get hacked too, no other school puts anything into it, we just won't be the Yankees of college hockey anymore.

Allow Men's Hoops and Football to have Mercedes budgets and facilities (practice facility for hoops) with Tubby Smith and similar stature football coach and the rest of the dept. will flourish. Mens Hoops and Football. Nothing else matters. I'd like to see that mentality from the next AD.

I'd like an AD who'd cut the non-rev sports to meet the Big Ten minimum. I could care less if baseball is gone. All future spending increases go strictly for Mens Hoops and Football. Hockey budget can get hacked too, no other school puts anything into it, we just won't be the Yankees of college hockey anymore.

Allow Men's Hoops and Football to have Mercedes budgets and facilities (practice facility for hoops) with Tubby Smith and similar stature football coach and the rest of the dept. will flourish. Mens Hoops and Football. Nothing else matters. I'd like to see that mentality from the next AD.

While cutting a sport or two (we don't need women's rowing) is a good idea and might happen, it won't ever be to the degree you're suggesting, nor should it. And even though I don't watch much Gopher hockey, we're supposed to be the Yankees of Gopher hockey and it should stay that way. The program turns a profit, it shouldn't face cuts.

if they ever cut sports it would have to be a men's sport. Due to Title 9 cutting a women's sport wouldn't help football or men's basketball.

if they ever cut sports it would have to be a men's sport. Due to Title 9 cutting a women's sport wouldn't help football or men's basketball.

They'd have to cut one of each. Probably one of the ones they were going to cut a few years ago.

This is amazingly dumb.

Cut hockey where we have a dominant (and recent) winning tradition for football where even throwing twice the money at gives us no guarantee of middle of the Big Ten success. I'd much rather cut the football program than give up hockey where we actually have a chance to compete for the national championship a few times each decade (if I had to choose).

This is amazingly dumb.

Cut hockey where we have a dominant (and recent) winning tradition for football where even throwing twice the money at gives us no guarantee of middle of the Big Ten success. I'd much rather cut the football program than give up hockey where we actually have a chance to compete for the national championship a few times each decade (if I had to choose).

On behalf of most Gopher fans I give thanks that you aren't the one choosing.

Hockey people have always been a little 'different'.

These are tough decisions and unpopular with the core Gopher elites but we need to cut baseball, Golf, volleyball,womens rowing, swimming, and possibly track. Most Minnesotans don't give a rats ass about anything other than the BIG Visible sports. Its a State University funded by Tax dollars so the rank and file Citizen has as valid say. These sports cut can be handled as club sports to satisfy student desire to particiapte. Cuts have to be made to make it comply with title 9 requiremnts. Follow the lead of the successful schools....texas, Wisky, Florida........keep hockey, womens hoops.....each program should have to stand on its own from a profit/loss standpoint and fit the title 9 reqs. It is a tough Balancing ast, but with the right leadership, I can be done. This is necessary and unpopular. What would you rather have, mediocrity in the sports people care about or a kick ass football, basketball, and hockey program focussed on winning?

It's getting more and more amusing to see the folks who honestly believe that we need to cut everything that isn't hockey, football and basketball because the football program hasn't held up it's part of the deal for more than 40 years. Just goes to show the ridiculous cliffs folks are willing to jump off just for football...:clap:

It is clear that you guys have your fingers on the pulse of what is going on at the U. After 43 years without winning a Big 10 Championship in football, and at a time of: (1) declining state financial support for the U; (2) a falling academic reputation that now ranks the U with Clemson and Worcester Polytechnic at No. 64 for National Universities; (3) budgetary problems that will result in department cuts, faculty firings, and rising tuition - we are finally going to get it done this time. There is nothing that is going to stand in the way of the U hiring a top notch football coach who is going to get the Gophers to start competing for Big 10 Championships through great recruiting and superior coaching, and who is not going to jump ship for greener pastures and more money at the earliest opportunity.

And to top it all off the U is also going to hire an AD who will always hire the right coaches and who will be able to fix the intercollegiate athletics budget by eliminating unnecessary varsity sports over the loud objections of a politically motivated Board of Regents, a brand new President (whoever she is), an entrenched Administration staff, and loyal groups of Alumni, Women's athletics supporters, and Gopher sports fans everywhere. There is no denying it. Now that Brewster is gone and Maturi is on the way out the future looks extremely Rosy for Gopher football.

These are tough decisions and unpopular with the core Gopher elites but we need to cut baseball, Golf, volleyball,womens rowing, swimming, and possibly track. Most Minnesotans don't give a rats ass about anything other than the BIG Visible sports. Its a State University funded by Tax dollars so the rank and file Citizen has as valid say. These sports cut can be handled as club sports to satisfy student desire to particiapte. Cuts have to be made to make it comply with title 9 requiremnts. Follow the lead of the successful schools....texas, Wisky, Florida........keep hockey, womens hoops.....each program should have to stand on its own from a profit/loss standpoint and fit the title 9 reqs. It is a tough Balancing ast, but with the right leadership, I can be done. This is necessary and unpopular. What would you rather have, mediocrity in the sports people care about or a kick ass football, basketball, and hockey program focussed on winning?

As someone pointed out earlier, sports like swimming, women's rowing, etc are needed because of Title IX. There is no equal on the women's side for a sport like football that carries so many scholarships therefore you need to have multiple women's teams to balance it out. Also, there is no way they would get rid of a team like Volleyball which has a pretty decent following and has been to recent final fours. Personally I find the volleyball games alot more entertaining than the women's b-bal (and I love b-ball). By the way, you site Wisky as being a program that we should "follow their lead". Wisky has every sport you said that should be cut at Minnesota besides baseball. You know what sport they have in place instead of baseball? Men's rowing. Personally I'd rather have a men's baseball team than men's rowing team but thats just me. The success or failure of the football program has little to nothing to do with the minor sports so I wish people would stop saying that if we cut all of these sports (which you obviously can't) that we would be a great football school.

Top Bottom