Maturi on Sports to the Max 11/10

stevedave23

Reaction score
-Is looking for an established head coach
-Favors someone who has built a program rather than inherited a program
-Must have a clean NCAA track record
-Looking for someone who has a history of solid emphasis on academics
-Covered himself by saying that even with an established name there are no guarantees. Said the two most high profile coaches before they were hired in the big ten (Rodriguez and Zook) have not been great so far. Said specifically, "there are no guarantees that Chris Peterson will be successful at his next job." Also mentioned Colorado and Arizona St coaching failures.
-Has talked with a lot of other AD's including Notre Dame. Likes to see who everyone is recommending to see who's name comes up over and over.
-They're also looking at what the U is doing administratively, admission wise, etc. Said we need to figure out why the past seven coaches have not been successful other than saying they're all bad coaches.
-Decision will not be made right after the Iowa game because interview process for sitting head coaches will not start until after last game. Couple weeks after the Iowa game would be early timeframe.

-Is looking for an established head coach
-Favors someone who has built a program rather than inherited a program
-Must have a clean NCAA track record
-Looking for someone who has a history of solid emphasis on academics
-Covered himself by saying that even with an established name there are no guarantees. Said the two most high profile coaches before they were hired in the big ten (Rodriguez and Zook) have not been great so far. Said specifically, "there are no guarantees that Chris Peterson will be successful at his next job." Also mentioned Colorado and Arizona St coaching failures.
-Has talked with a lot of other AD's including Notre Dame. Likes to see who everyone is recommending to see who's name comes up over and over.
-They're also looking at what the U is doing administratively, admission wise, etc. Said we need to figure out why the past seven coaches have not been successful other than saying they're all bad coaches.
-Decision will not be made right after the Iowa game because interview process for sitting head coaches will not start until after last game. Couple weeks after the Iowa game would be early timeframe.

Thanks, too bad he didn't say much of anything we didn't already know.

The ambiguous timeline is interesting.

i took it differently...it sounded specific enough to me that I'm wondering who "the guy" is...then again, i drink a lot

no mention of ties to minnesota....not Sumlin?

He is consulting with ND on who to hire?
They have all the resources in the world and have not competed for a national title since the early 90s. They made 3 terrible hires in a row and have followed it up with Brian Kelly who is TBD.

This is the last team I want maturi consulting.

He is consulting with ND on who to hire?
They have all the resources in the world and have not competed for a national title since the early 90s. They made 3 terrible hires in a row and have followed it up with Brian Kelly who is TBD.

This is the last team I want maturi consulting.

To be fair, he said that's his alma mater and he knows the current AD. Said they just went through the hiring process so wanted to know what they've learned, who they interviewed, who they liked/disliked. Who knows, if they're totally honest maybe they can tell Joel where they went wrong? ;)

Sounds like?????? Al Golden? Gary Patterson? Brady Hoke?

The "not inheriting a program" line kind of sticks out to me. I wonder what his definition of that is...

It really could be argued that Bellotti, Calhoun, Sumlin, Peterson and a couple other guys have all inherited programs.

So yeah, mkAz is right, it really is only Patterson, Golden, and Hoke (maybe Kill) who have really completely built their own programs from the ground up. I'm curious if this is an off the cuff comment or something specific. It also makes me think they might have a specific guy in mind because it would essentially be a knock against a lot of the candidates.

Did he mention consistently winning or consistently bringing in top recruiting classes? You know, the two most important criteria for any head coaching cadidate?

Did he mention consistently winning or consistently bringing in top recruiting classes? You know, the two most important criteria for any head coaching cadidate?
Yes, it's called an established head coach like Maturi said in the interview. He also said he wants someone who is able to build a program, the said coach would need to consistently win and recruit to build a program. So the answer to your questions is yes, he indirectly said this.

The "not inheriting a program" line kind of sticks out to me. I wonder what his definition of that is...

It really could be argued that Bellotti, Calhoun, Sumlin, Peterson and a couple other guys have all inherited programs.

So yeah, mkAz is right, it really is only Patterson, Golden, and Hoke (maybe Kill) who have really completely built their own programs from the ground up. I'm curious if this is an off the cuff comment or something specific. It also makes me think they might have a specific guy in mind because it would essentially be a knock against a lot of the candidates.

Don't know if Patterson would qualify as a program builder seeing as TCU finished 7-5, 8-4 and 10-1 in the three seasons before he took the reigns from Franchione. Patterson did play a big part in the turnaround since he was the DC. He didn't call the shots for the program but he did get a front row seat to a rapid turnaround.

If they actually wait for 2 weeks after the Iowa game they won't be making a decision till mid-December.

First to fire, and probably about 10th to hire if they wait that long.

Don't know if Patterson would qualify as a program builder seeing as TCU finished 7-5, 8-4 and 10-1 in the three seasons before he took the reigns from Franchione. Patterson did play a big part in the turnaround since he was the DC. He didn't call the shots for the program but he did get a front row seat to a rapid turnaround.

Yeah, good call. I did not know that TCU had that level of success prior to Patterson.

Dance

He'll have his guy in mind and that person will agree to dance with Maturi but it's going to take more than one song to get the deal done or go home mad. In which case the band starts playing new music all over again. Hence the ambiguous time line.

indeed, coach fran did well for tcu
talk about an interesting read
heck of a career and an amazing flame out at Texas A&M
had been popping up for head coaching jobs

turned around several programs (some might argue if A&M really got turned around)
and odd departures from Alabama and A&M
the guy bled "gig 'em"

as my A&M friends like to say "texas is the best country in the US"
come to think of it, my burnt orange friends say that too

I don't mind. They're clueless. Don't even know what broomball is

Ambiguous timeline is ambiguous.

This is not good. They should be able to have the top 2 or 3 lined up for swift interviewing after the Iowa game and make the hire within 5 days. Last year, UVa fired Al Groh the day after the last game and hired Mike London within days. Most schools are able to do this. With the huge head start, MN certainly should. If we really take 2 weeks from the Iowa game to make a hire, Maturi should be fired after the press conference.

Total speculation on my part, but if Joel is speaking with Notre Dame for advice on the process and potential names, then one should look at whom they interviewed besides Kelly during their search last year.

And, in doing a quick bit of research, it appears UConn's Randy Edsall finished second in the ND search. Edsall would seem to fit the other parameters set forth by Joel in that interview with Max.

I know Edsall's name has been discussed before on the board.

Notre Dame, by the way, used the Parker Associates search firm, too.

Yeah, good call. I did not know that TCU had that level of success prior to Patterson.

But hasn't Patterson been the head guy for ten years or something now? It's one thing to inherit a program and have short-term success. It's another to do so and carry it on for as long as he have and culminate it into a top three program 10 games or so into the season. Patterson has earned everything he and TCU are getting right now.

1. Head coach experience.
2. No NCAA problems
3. Turned a program around.
4. Solid emphasis on academics

Best match with criteria? Clearly Mike Leach. #4 rules out our Tennesee friend. I think there's an unspoken #5. Doesn't intimidate the crap out of AD.

If they actually wait for 2 weeks after the Iowa game they won't be making a decision till mid-December.

Interviewing people takes time and they may have to wait an extra week if the candidate has his team in a championship game. I can't for certain say where they are in the whole process, but they've probably pared their list down to those coaches they want to interview. They may be at the point where they know who will be interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised either way. My guess is they'll interview 2 to 4 finalists and chose among them unless someone like Harbaugh or Patterson wants the job. I could see the finalists being Golden, Hoke, Calhoun and Sumlin if the dream coaches say no.

"Program builder" eliminates all the candidates we've been talking about besides Golden and Edsall. Doogie seems confident of a Calhoun hire, but that criteria rules him out.

"Program builder" eliminates all the candidates we've been talking about besides Golden and Edsall. Doogie seems confident of a Calhoun hire, but that criteria rules him out.

Shannon could be considered a 'program builder' as far as changing the culture, remember Maturi did not mention the W-L aspect of the program.

1. Head coach experience.
2. No NCAA problems
3. Turned a program around.
4. Solid emphasis on academics

Best match with criteria? Clearly Mike Leach. #4 rules out our Tennesee friend. I think there's an unspoken #5. Doesn't intimidate the crap out of AD.

Leach is clearly the best match.

Maturi talked about building a program vs. inheriting when he was going over preferences. In other words, it is not an absolute requirement.

This is how I took the interview:

Requirements
Clean NCAA track record
Solid history of supporting academics

Preferences (in this order)
Established head coach
Built rather than inherited a program

What is Maturi supposed to say? I think this is a case of under promise and over deliver. Why box your self in with a one week window. If they get the candidate they want and it is a few days after the Iowa, they will announce it. Getting the best coach trumps announcing it a week earlier IMO.

I'm not confident in any one person being the hire right now... I am confident that the search firm is digging around on Calhoun, and that he's a person of interest for Maturi & Bruininks... also the Parker firm is digging around on Hoke, Sumlin, Shannon, Edsall, and Mullen... and I bet more.

Well, they can't interview a sitting coach during the season. What would you like them to do?

Well, they can't interview a sitting coach during the season. What would you like them to do?

No, but they can have Bellotti and Fulmer interviews completed, and have the 3-4 sitting coaches they want to interview lined up to be done quickly as soon as the season ends. The whole point of the early firing and use of a search firm is that everything but the formal interview can be done now, behind the scenes. The actual interview should just be a final touch. We hired Tubby over the phone 4 days after his season ended. While I don't expect that to be the case here, when you're dealing with a proven candidate, how he fares in Joel's little interview is not nearly as important as it was when hiring a long-shot like Brewster. And even then, it ended up leading to disaster as Joel got the vapors and was overcome.

Top Bottom