Maturi on Brewster: "I'm going to be patient with a first-time collegiate head coach"

Like I said I don't think they post a sign. Regardless, I think we can agree it wasn't optimal.

I can't remember the details but I think the tubby thing started before Monson left. I remember the story and it seems to me I was struck by the timing of the events. Not that the deal was done, but that the initial inquiries and wheel turning had started quite early on. I guess my point is we all think these guys wake up in the morning with an aha moment and make these decisions, but I don't think it happens that way. even if they can point to an event that sealed the deal there was alot that led to that. And great admins are prepared for such things and begin their work way before their decisions are unleashed on the world.

And enough about Maturi's fate being tied to Brewster...Maturi will leave the U when he retires no matter what happens to Brew (barring scandal of course).
Few athletic directors have that kind of job security. Maturi hasn't done anything to warrant that kind of carte blanche.

If Brewster fails I think both of them should go together.

last I checked Football is just one of the things on Maturi's plate. If i remember right we are doing quite well in the directors cup rankings. Maturi by most accounts has done very well. He's just missing this one item. This and Mens basketball will be the ones he's remembered for, but it's only a fraction of his total job. he's been a great overall AD.

last I checked Football is just one of the things on Maturi's plate. If i remember right we are doing quite well in the directors cup rankings. Maturi by most accounts has done very well. He's just missing this one item. This and Mens basketball will be the ones he's remembered for, but it's only a fraction of his total job. he's been a great overall AD.
Saying that football is all that matters is only a slight exaggeration. They have sold the football program to the state as the crown jewel of the athletic department. If it falls on its face due to him going out on a limb and hiring a neophyte to run the program he should absolutely be dismissed.

My personal suspicion is that if Brewster fails it will be emblematic of the complacency that runs throughout the athletic department and a deeper shakeup may still yet be required.

howeda7;118335 I agree that Maturi's fate needn't be tied to the football coach. This isn't Alabama. However said:
I'm pretty sure Mark Dienhart hired Lucia which looked like a great hire for a while.

Saying that football is all that matters is only a slight exaggeration. They have sold the football program to the state as the crown jewel of the athletic department. If it falls on its face due to him going out on a limb and hiring a neophyte to run the program he should absolutely be dismissed.

My personal suspicion is that if Brewster fails it will be emblematic of the complacency that runs throughout the athletic department and a deeper shakeup may still yet be required.

Wow, you've got to be pretty blind to the athletic program in it's entirty to call it complacent. Do you even pay attention to sports outside of the big three? Take a look at the directors cup, the true measuring stick of the entire athletic department.

2008/09 Fall 13th in the nation, Winter 2nd in the nation, Spring 14th in the nation.

the football game could go winless for the next five years, and if he continues to do well at everything else he'll still be here. Although blasphmous to say, the university benefits from a good football program, but is not reliant on it. Forutnately, the same things that have caused Maturi to be successful elsewhere apply to football and the program will continue to improve year to year from here on out.

I guess it's great that lacrosse is taking off or whatever, but apart from the big three who cares?

Or big two in my estimation. I have no interest in hockey.

that's why he's the Director of the entire athletic department and not the department of football and basketball.

Lucia needs to go. He brings in elite talent every year and does nothing with it. They should be in the frozen four every year. However the thing about hockey is people leave early for the draft which he cannot help.

It's part speculation and part gossip from some allegedly in the know ... but my theory is that both Bruininks and Maturi had no great love for Mason but the end of the regular season and the invitation to the bowl game made them conclude there was no real way to release him.

The Texas Tech debacle gave them an opportunity to revisit their option and they jumped at the chance. The firing took place very quickly for there to be a lot of discussion between Bruininks and Maturi and I think this was a decision that would have required some prior discussion.

They had the stadium in hand. They'd already deferred the firing of Monson the prior spring and I'm pretty confident that the stadium being up in the air caused that delay. They didn't want to deal with the PR and political flak of paying a buyout when Monson was retained.

Once the stadium was cleared, their options opened up with both Mason and Monson.

that's why he's the Director of the entire athletic department and not the department of football and basketball.
Let me phrase it to you another way: what sports make alumni write checks?

I think Khaliq is right in so far as football and basketball (and hockey, here) bring in all the money. Maturi does have a lot on his plate, but to the average booster, it's garnish. He needs to ensure revenues for the entire athletic department, and you do that with the big 3.
Also, I would guess our success in the Director's Cup is directly related to the fact that the U is massive and can field all sorts of obscure teams that a school like Wisconsin can't (like, for example, baseball.) And that for some reason our dance team is a juggernaut. I don't know this, just guessing.

All that said, if Brewster has to go at some point, that doesn't make Maturi a failure. As others have said in this thread, this is a much better job, and a healthier program, than it was in Brewster got here.

he competes against all the schools. To be D1 you have to have at least twenty different sports offered. It's the rule. So while a school can choose which twenty, they have to have them. It's a very good barometer of the overall health of University sports.

As far as the big three, hockey is mostly up. Even when they're bad they're still pretty good. Basketball is on the rise. Only football is a dog. he wants a good football program and is working to make it happen. But if he fails, it will not be his head.

Let me phrase it to you another way: what sports make alumni write checks?

Which is why he hired Tubby Smith and helped lead the charge for that 282 million dollar facility across the street from Mariucci Arena.

I know guys that competed in Track at the U, from what they say, Maturi is a workaholic, attends every athletic event he care regardless of prestige or sport. I would say he probably puts alot more effort into the "other" sports than many AD's would, his dedication to the moneymakers of football, bball, and hockey can be debated, but from their inside perspective, he puts alot into the minor sports as well.

Top Bottom