Matt Opad: Golden Gophers are still not at Hawkeye’s level

Iowa beat us playing their own game. Credit again to Ferentz. I would love to get players like Epenesa. I would love to have linemen on both sides drafted almost every single year.

I think we would've won at home.

To go to the Rose Bowl, we had to beat one of our two rivals. This fact sucks.

We lost by 4 points at Iowa. That included a missed extra point and field goal (wish we had their kicker, that's for sure). We racked up far more yards. I don't see how someone can say with a lot of confidence that they clearly are better team than us.

Better line play and a few more athletes on the defensive side of the ball and Minnesota will start dominating the BIG West. It's coming soon to a theatre near you!

Agreed but we have to get those players first and that may not happen overnight. Iowa has had two consecutive coaches of long tenure who had enough success over long stretches to give their programs a stronger recruiting brand. I believe in Fleck but it might take him four to five years to build the kind of program consistency Iowa has had.

Actually, it's worse than that. They've been beaten like a drum every time they have gone to that bowl over the last 40 years.

Iowa last won the Rose Bowl in 1959. 38-12 over Cal.

per Opad:

Minnesota had a great year this football season. I will freely admit that I expected them to go no better than 9-3 (they went 10-2), with a loss to the Iowa football team of course.

Their hot start yielded a comparison that many Hawkeye fans didn’t buy.

2019 Minnesota is not the 2015 Iowa football team. It is actually a slightly worse version of the 2019 Iowa football team.

Minnesota was a win away from claiming the Big Ten West this season. Despite the game not occurring at the very end of the season, so was Iowa.

If Iowa football had beaten Wisconsin, they would have been in a three-team tie for the Big Ten West. With wins over the other two contenders, Iowa would have won the tiebreaker and earned the right to play Ohio State in Indianapolis.

While the failed 2-point conversion in Madison may haunt Iowa football for a while, it still reflects a team that is much closer to being at the top of the division than one that got pummeled at home.

Go Gophers!!

In the event you forgot, Wisconsin took a knee within easy field goal range at the end of that game. If Iowa had made the 2 point conv, there's no assurance the game would have ended in a tie. Wisconsin didn't need to score there, but just maintain possession.

In the event you forgot, Wisconsin took a knee within easy field goal range at the end of that game. If Iowa had made the 2 point conv, there's no assurance the game would have ended in a tie. Wisconsin didn't need to score there, but just maintain possession.

So the author is saying, "If Iowa had beat Wisconsin.............

but saying this holds no relevance, "If Minnesota had beat Iowa.................

It's funny how the universe works!

So the author is saying, "If Iowa had beat Wisconsin.............

but saying this holds no relevance, "If Minnesota had beat Iowa.................

It's funny how the universe works!

I was addressing the comment about Iowa and the missed 2 pointer. It wouldn't have mattered if they made it since Wisconsin marched down the field and likely would have scored anyway. They were lucky to have eked out a win over the Huskers in Lincoln when Minnesota and Wisconsin both thumped them. Frankly, I thought that Minnesota would take Iowa by at least 2 TDs.

Iowa won the 1957 and 1959 Rose Bowls.

Which is the same era has your last appearances (1961, 1962).

I was not alive for any of those, but that's awesome. I was merely stating that a goal of reaching Iowa's level means nothing.

Top Bottom