Matt Miller BR, without a shred of irony

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
I decided to look up Matt Miller's twitter account to see if he was getting savaged again after TJs clutch catch, and saw this gem. Apparently he thinks that teammates and coaches opinion of a player matter now.

The whole nature of sportswriters spreading church gossip at the drop of a hat is pretty horrific / immoral.

Watch any version of the movie “The Front Page” if you want to see how things are the same 70 years later. Best one is with Cary Grant. Most “news” media is slime. Most.

I decided to look up Matt Miller's twitter account to see if he was getting savaged again after TJs clutch catch, and saw this gem. Apparently he thinks that teammates and coaches opinion of a player matter now.
I mean, Miller never said they didn’t matter. In fact Miller claimed that the character concerns he heard about TJ did in fact come from scouts. So saying scouts opinions do matter in this case is consistent with what Miller said about TJ. I don’t consider it ironic.

I mean, Miller never said they didn’t matter. In fact Miller claimed that the character concerns he heard about TJ did in fact come from scouts. So saying scouts opinions do matter in this case is consistent with what Miller said about TJ. I don’t consider it ironic.
"Heard it from scouts".

I can make up shiite, too.

Here's my problem with all that 'heard it from the scouts' and 'anonymous X'.

All those guys have incentives to lie and trash other people too ... but folks just tweet it out without context and etc.

Last edited:

He used the literal exact same arguments to defend Wilson that he summarily dismissed when brought up by everyone else to defend TJ. Irony, hypocrisy, take your pick. Further, he then called for a website that brought up the criticism to be sued, because they could hurt his draft stock. They divulged just as much about their "source" as he did about his. Again, irony or hypocrisy, take your pick. There is a reason his garbage is available for free.

Here's my problem with all that 'heard it from the scouts' and 'anonymous X'.

All those guys have incentives to lie and trash other people too ... but folks just tweet it out without context and etc.
Well Miller originally said this about Johnson before the his season started. Most of the “smokescreen” type of things that you are referring too don’t really happen until the combine, pro days or closer to the draft.

I have no reason to think Miller either made any of it up or that his source made it up just so TJ would fall to the sources team when he hadn’t even started playing his final college season.

Well Miller originally said this about Johnson before the his season started. Most of the “smokescreen” type of things that you are referring too don’t really happen until the combine, pro days or closer to the draft.

I have no reason to think Miller either made any of it up or that his source made it up just so TJ would fall to the sources team when he hadn’t even started playing his final college season.
I think you're missing my point.

I don't care if he made it up or not, just passing it on from folks who have their own reasons to make it up with no context like chrch lady gossip is irresponsible.

I think you're missing my point.

I don't care if he made it up or not, just passing it on from folks who have their own reasons to make it up with no context like chrch lady gossip is irresponsible.
And I'm saying there is no reason to think his sources had any reason to make that up or had incentive to do so at that time.

Nobody would lie about a thing like that because ... that's not the time you think someone would lie about it?

How naive can you be?
Correct.

If you have proof that these scouts floated these rumors about TJ in order to get him to fall to their team then I would gladly change my tune.

Until then, I hold no ill will towards Miller.

Correct.

If you have proof that these scouts floated these rumors about TJ in order to get him to fall to their team then I would gladly change my tune.

You don't have to have proof to exercise common sense and some healthy skepticism about the motives of the folks dropping you tips... let alone provide context.

And I'm saying there is no reason to think his sources had any reason to make that up or had incentive to do so at that time.
It could also have been one really uninformed source and Miller running with it.
So far we haven't really had any real evidence of character concerns so Miller's take isn't looking good at this point.

I think its pretty obvious that his source was Jim Nagy, who was really defensive about not including him on the Senior Bowl roster.

Until he is willing to name his sources and identify who the scouts, etc. are, I will continue to be in the "Matt Miller is a sportswriting hack that would be pouring beers at any one of 2,000,000 brew pubs in America if it weren't for internet sports sites" camp.

Correct.

He said that he thinks that website reporting on Wilson should be sued for slander because they are reporting something different than what HE heard.

On the flip side of the coin....he ravaged TJ for "character issues" when EVERYTHING that anyone else has said points to the exact opposite. When called on it....he doubled down without considering that he may have gotten bad info.

Not sure why you are defending this Miller dude....but he's clearly a douche.

He said that he thinks that website reporting on Wilson should be sued for slander because they are reporting something different than what HE heard.

On the flip side of the coin....he ravaged TJ for "character issues" when EVERYTHING that anyone else has said points to the exact opposite. When called on it....he doubled down without considering that he may have gotten bad info.

Not sure why you are defending this Miller dude....but he's clearly a douche.
So in both situations, he is trusting his sources. I don’t consider it to be a contradiction.

So in both situations, he is trusting his sources. I don’t consider it to be a contradiction.

Calling for one website to be sued for slander because their sources heard something different.

You really don't see anything funny here....or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Calling for one website to be sued for slander because their sources heard something different.

You really don't see anything funny here....or are you being intentionally obtuse?
Is the website in question claiming these assertions about Wilson as fact? Or are they reporting this is what they’ve heard from their sources? Are they making specific claims that can be proven false as opposed to just citing general character concerns as Miller did?

I don’t think it’s anything to get up in arms about.

Is the website in question claiming these assertions about Wilson as fact? Or are they reporting this is what they’ve heard from their sources? Are they making specific claims that can be proven false as opposed to just citing general character concerns as Miller did?

I don’t think it’s anything to get up in arms about.

Character issues or claiming that Wilson is "Manziel-like" are both subjective in nature. Where does fact come into play?

The only fact here is that both are reporting things about a players character. Except one is saying that another source should be liable for slander because he heard something different.

Are you seriously having trouble seeing why Miller is a huge hypocrite here? Do you know him or something....because if he wasn't a douche before for his second hand assessment of TJ....he certainly is now that he is taking issue with OTHER people's assessments of players.

Top Bottom