Matt Kegel commits!!!

We're still behind our nemesis Western Michigan though (no joke).

What am i missing? why are so many kids committed to WMich? do they put a deadline on their offers? take it or leave it?

this is strange

I didn't watch his entire highlight tape. And I don't profess to know how to judge kids at this age on footwork, etc. But pretty much every block I saw, he was the low man, and the low man wins. You usually don't see that with kids his size in high school who can just out-muscle the other guy.

Super hyped for the trajectory of this class.

Ski-U-Mah Matt!

What am i missing? why are so many kids committed to WMich? do they put a deadline on their offers? take it or leave it?

this is strange

WMich is the GH humor of determing the value of a recruit. :cool02:

TDG Scroll of the Sworn: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/5/7/8571313/minnesota-football-recruiting-matt-kegel-commits

Kegel has a similar height, build and development level to Ed Olson, Jr. at equivalent points in their high school careers, though Matt plays meaner and is a little bigger than Eddie at this stage in the game. Kegel moves really well for a big man and handles his bulk well, though he'll need to work on playing with a wider base, better knee bend and firing off the snap with a flatter back, a not uncommon problem for a taller line prospect.

STrib: Chaska's Matt Kegel commits to Gophers, giving them another top in-state lineman

The Gophers added another coveted in-state offensive line recruit Thursday, when Chaska's Matt Kegel gave them a verbal commitment.

The 6-6, 300-pound Kegel had reported offers from Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Pittsburgh. He is a consensus three-star recruit and gives the Gophers eight commitments for the Class of 2016.

http://blog.startribune.com/chaska-...-them-another-top-in-state-lineman/302980251/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach Jerry Kill got another big in-state commitment this week in Matt Kegel, a 6-6, 300-pound offensive tackle from Chaska. Kegel, whom Rivals.com has ranked as the fifth-best player in the state for 2016, had been recruited by numerous schools, including Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisiana State, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

http://www.startribune.com/hartman-...3017911/?recirculation=section&section=sports

Go Gophers!!

After watching his video, I'm surprised he's only a 5.5 grade on rivals. I'm guessing this grade along with Coughlin's gets bumped up at some point.

After watching his video, I'm surprised he's only a 5.5 grade on rivals. I'm guessing this grade along with Coughlin's gets bumped up at some point.

I thought the same thing but I am assuming these two will dominate their senior seasons.

Last year we had 2 Minnesota commits? How many did we lose that would be worth signing?

There were 2 others with Power 5 offers - Jashon Cornell (Ohio St.) and Drayton Carlberg (Oregon). We were going hard after both and would've taken either in a heartbeat. Ben Ellefson is a TE from Hawley who turned down a Purdue offer to go to Fargo - a stupid decision and one that he'll regret. We may have offered him under different circumstances. Josh Corcoran is a LB from Lakeville who went to Northern Illinois - he was probably borderline for a Gopher offer. Harry Momoh is a DB from Hopkins who signed to play for Craig Bohl at Wyoming. He's another borderline guy and one we may end up regretting that we let him get away.

There were 2 others with Power 5 offers - Jashon Cornell (Ohio St.) and Drayton Carlberg (Oregon). We were going hard after both and would've taken either in a heartbeat. Ben Ellefson is a TE from Hawley who turned down a Purdue offer to go to Fargo - a stupid decision and one that he'll regret. We may have offered him under different circumstances. Josh Corcoran is a LB from Lakeville who went to Northern Illinois - he was probably borderline for a Gopher offer. Harry Momoh is a DB from Hopkins who signed to play for Craig Bohl at Wyoming. He's another borderline guy and one we may end up regretting that we let him get away.

I've heard that if Alex Hart was in the 2013 class, he probably would have gotten a scholarship over Wipson. He also signed at Wyoming. Adam Buirge signed at NIU with Corcoran too.

Thanks DP.

What kind of statement does this make? If you live here, stay here. Kids growing up now will see their favorite team and want to play for them because they will see them on national TV. Not everyone gets BTN but everyone can watch ABC. BRICK BY BRICK BABY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, Mason should get some credit for this. The kids turning 18 next year were born in 1998, right about when Glen started. Glen's rehabilitation of our program made Gopher football relevant again. These kids wouldn't have been Gopher fans if their parents weren't watching the games, or if the media wasn't paying attention. I remember during the Wacker years you had to turn to page 3 of the Sunday sports section to find the writeup of the game.

Solid job by Kill, though, of closing the borders. You don't want to lose these solid recruits to rivals, particularly our neighbors. Now Kill has to show he can beat out the big boys for the blue chippers

These kids wouldn't have been Gopher fans if their parents weren't watching the games, or if the media wasn't paying attention. Now Kill has to show he can beat out the big boys for the blue chippers

Kegel's parents are Oklahoma and OSU grads, if I recall correctly. Doubt that family was watching the Gophers much when he was younger.

Kill is already beating out the big boys for blue chippers. (Beat out Ohio State and Oregon for Coughlin, beat out MSU and others for Schleuter, beat out TCU for Mayes and Poock, etc.) We're unlikely to ever start pulling out 5* from the south with SEC offers, but I think the last step that could happen is to start beating out the Wisconsins and Iowas for their own top in state players. It's already happening in Illinois.

Kegel's parents are Oklahoma and OSU grads, if I recall correctly. Doubt that family was watching the Gophers much when he was younger.

Kill is already beating out the big boys for blue chippers. (Beat out Ohio State and Oregon for Coughlin, beat out MSU and others for Schleuter, beat out TCU for Mayes and Poock, etc.) We're unlikely to ever start pulling out 5* from the south with SEC offers, but I think the last step that could happen is to start beating out the Wisconsins and Iowas for their own top in state players. It's already happening in Illinois.
Define Blue Chippers.... I didn't see any in your list other than MAYBE Coughlin. I could be incorrect, but few would list the others you cite as "Blue Chip" recruits.

Great news. Seems like Kill is really putting together a great class, he is seriously testing my general rule about not getting too excited about recruits until we see the results on the field. Last year was a lot of fun, hopefully we continue to improve. I see us a legitimate contender this year if Leidner takes a solid step forward with his consistency.

Kill's staff and he himself are doing a great job recruiting "in-state'. With that said, don't forget the recruits themselves on the phone and whatever helping close the door. There is going to be a great togetherness with this class Hop on the bandwagon minnesotans!!!!!

Define Blue Chippers.... I didn't see any in your list other than MAYBE Coughlin. I could be incorrect, but few would list the others you cite as "Blue Chip" recruits.

Among other things, I'd say Army All American qualifies. Coughlin, Mayes, Foster (we think), and possibly Garcia just in the last couple years. Also I'd say any defensive player that both Kill and Gary Patterson want badly enough that they're personally recruiting them (as was the case with Poock) is a blue chipper. We beat out Mich State and Wisconsin for Schlueter, and if he had continued the 'recruiting game' through the summer he probably would've had offers from many other top programs as well.

Point is, of course there's room to keep climbing. Just saying we've been battling the big boys and winning some of those battles for several years now.

It was always going to be a slow, incremental process. A gradual uptick in talent with each class, building over the course of several years. Back-to-back 8-5 seasons isn't going to suddenly bring in a dramatic increase in talent.

This is absolutely fantastic progress at this point. The increase in the level of talent and the caliber of recruit may not be massive, but it's certainly noticeable, and people/recruits ARE noticing.

The next step isn't going to be easy, whether it's 10 wins, beating someone like TCU or OSU, making an appearance in the B1G Title game, but something like that probably needs to happen this year or next. It's within reach, no doubt about it!!

Among other things, I'd say Army All American qualifies. Coughlin, Mayes, Foster (we think), and possibly Garcia just in the last couple years. Also I'd say any defensive player that both Kill and Gary Patterson want badly enough that they're personally recruiting them (as was the case with Poock) is a blue chipper. We beat out Mich State and Wisconsin for Schlueter, and if he had continued the 'recruiting game' through the summer he probably would've had offers from many other top programs as well.

Point is, of course there's room to keep climbing. Just saying we've been battling the big boys and winning some of those battles for several years now.

Fair enough on the all American tag. Disagree on Gary Patterson and Kill personally recruiting.

Here's the official definition:

Blue chips are athletes, particularly high school players, targeted for drafting or signing by teams at the college level. Collegiate players being scouted by professional franchises may also be referred to as blue chips.

Blue chip players are those who have proven themselves to be among the best at their positions in their respective sports and are more sought after and wanted than other players.[1] They are typically perceived as "can't miss" prospects[2] who are desired by most organizations. Blue chip athletes are likely to have an immediate impact on teams that acquire them[2] and have proven skills rather than speculative or untapped potential. Many top recruits eventually go on to be successful at the professional level, especially in basketball and baseball.[3]

I think we may have a few "can't miss" prospects who are likely to have an immediate impact.

Garcia has been invited but is not sure if he'll attend. Foster has still yet to officially be invited.

I agree about the difficulty in bringing up 5-star southern kids to Minnesota. However, if we get a couple more bowl seasons like the last one, I think the shine is going to keep coming off the SEC. Hopefully, it will be like the Wizard of Oz when the curtain is pulled away. Then, Big Ten schools will be more attractive to these southern kids who've been preached at that the SEC is the only place to play the highest level of college football.

How do you possibly know which university was the best fit for someone you don't even know? Because Purdue is FBS? I'm sure he made the right decision for himself and one that he'll likely never regret.

How do you possibly know which university was the best fit for someone you don't even know? Because Purdue is FBS? I'm sure he made the right decision for himself and one that he'll likely never regret.

Other than proximity, Purdue is a far better opportunity in every aspect. Plus NDAC sucks.

I'm sure he was referring to the fact that Purdue is a far better school athletically and especially academically compared to NDSU. Can't argue with that. Obviously location was his biggest factor.

Top Bottom