Matt Eggen has left the program

It's not how it is done.

Top notch programs have kids who never really panned out and stayed on the team through their eligibility. No HC in America would start the practice of kicking the kids off the team who don't pan out. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Unless you're Cheatin' Lou Holtz. I know a kid who played at ND during his tenure and did not pan out. One day he was found to "be in violation" by being in a girls dorm about 2 minutes too late. Lou called him in the next day to tell him he was pulling his scholly, and [unnamed student athlete] agreed that was the right thing to do, and then informed Holtz that his first stop was going to be to the newspaper to inform them about Star Player A and Star Player B who got hammered and took the keys to two students cars and played smash 'em up derby in the dorm parking lot. Somehow this went unreported and the kids had their cars replaced. [Unnamed player] finished his schooling at ND on scholarship, but shockingly never played a down.

I have no inside information on the Gophers. Scholarships are for one year. They need to be renewed. That is not automatic. Tubby only has 12,13 guys. Look at the turnover he has....how many guys leaving would he really like to stay? How many get pushed? I'm too lazy to look it up but there are lots of stories about players not having their scholarship renewed at big time programs. Alabama and LSU seem to come to mind as recent reads.

I agree it is on the coaches to help make a player become successful. But sometimes the guy you thought you recruited is not who you really have. And sometimes you tell a kid up front you are giving him a chance and it's to him what he does with the opportunity.
Sometimes the handwriting is on the wall...he is not ever going to play here. If you are going to be around somebody every day for five years...sometimes it's just not possible to coexist. Lots and lots of possibilities why somebody moves on. It is normal everywhere.

Some of you are pretty naive or at least too Minnesota nice. This is a business and not every kid makes it. NCAA rules prohibit a program from not renewing a scholarship if the player's performance was not what was expected but programs can be creative if they want a player gone. You don't have to give a kid 3 strikes on drug tests, 1 will do. You can strongly tell them they will never play here. What is a minor offense for one kid might be enough to send another kid packing. And yes this does go on in many programs.

I agree you can't do this across the board every year though. You can't get a reputation that you'll send all kids packing that don't turn out as you projected team. The coaches don't get a chance to see every recruit live. Some make tapes that make them look like a five star. That's why coaches want whole game film not just highlights.

Some kids just have to be sent on their way for the betterment of the program. Should Jew-Jew still be around spreading his cancer? How about Maresh and his problems? Not everyone is entitled to 4 or 5 years of scholarship no matter what. I'm fine with coach Kill doing a one time house cleaning of kids that don't buy into his program. Sounds like Brewster ran a much looser ship and if their are kids who don't want to work and expect to get by as they did before, show them the door.

Oh, I want to make clear that I'm not saying any of these things happened with this kid. I don't know anything about his particular situation.

It's not how it is done.

Top notch programs have kids who never really panned out and stayed on the team through their eligibility. No HC in America would start the practice of kicking the kids off the team who don't pan out. He has no idea what he is talking about.

lol ok. keep that head firmly in the sand.

Top Bottom