Matt Eggen has left the program

btowngopher

Reaction score
not sure why, but he's no longer listed on the roster.

Need to trim the fat, was never going to play so probably best for both sides. We need to clear roster space so Kill can bring in more recruits that fit his system better.

It's never a good thing when these kids decide to leave. Yeah, it opens up a schollie and gives others an opportunity, but it's not what a kid or his family plans on when he enrolls as a Freshman. We was the 12th ranked player in Wisconsin in 2010. Good luck, Matt.

There was a mention on Sid from a few weeks back about a redshirt freshman lineman leaving the program and it sounded like it was acedemics related. Because the following conversation was about how some people dig too deep of a hole and can't get out it related to school work. But I didn't see anything about anyone leaving til today I wonder if that is who they were talking about. I know its just speculation but since it came more or less from Kill thought it was worth posting. I think it was Sid from 7-10.

Need to trim the fat, was never going to play so probably best for both sides. We need to clear roster space so Kill can bring in more recruits that fit his system better.
I think we should not have too cavalier an attitude about people leaving; they are kids we sold on coming here, and even if they are responsible for it not working out, it is a pretty big set back for a 19 year old kid. He'll be fine, but probably is pretty down at the moment. These are kids, not robots.

It sounds to me, from reading here and elsewhere that it is probable he has left the program. However, that doesn't mean it is a 100% fact. Just a request and it may seem petty but please don't title threads with text that appears something is for-sure. For example, "Matt Eggen has left the program" sounds pretty air tight but the post itself simply says the name doesn't appear on a roster. Perhaps something like "Has Matt Eggen left the program?" or "It looks to me like Matt Eggen has left the program" would have been better.

That sounds pretty callous when talking about a kid's college scholarship. These kids should not be viewed as expendable if they're not on the 2-deep by their 2nd year; that is not a good culture for the program to establish.

If it is academics it is largely a personal responsibility, but also reflects negatively on the program. Sure, the student-athlete needs to take care of business in class, and he has a full schollie with no need to worry about work-study. However, that schollie effectively has him "working" full time hours half the year for the U, and the U has invested the schollie money in him so they do need to bear some responsibility in terms of monitoring progress, tutoring, etc.

In the new era, future schollies will be directly affected by past academic casualties, so it's not as if there will always be unlimited replacement potential.

What worries me about all of the upcoming attrition that we may be having is the fact that we are going to lose a lot of guys that had been lifting and developing for a year or two that could make us very thing for the up-coming years moving from class to class. Over time when you lose the tauefas (sp), the eggens, the maresh's, and the jewhan edwards etc etc it eats away at your depth no matter who the players were. However, normally it will be mitigated to the first year of the new coaches regime. Still, hopefully we don't lose as many as they may be thinking.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread. Talking about a 19 yr old kid who has left the football team and possibly isn't in school anymore shouldn't be referred to as "trimming the fat", that's pretty callous.

JackiO does make a good point too, attrition has a larger impact than merely on the 1's and 2's of the depth chart. We don't have to look any further at our own roster....imagine if guys like Stoudermire, Kirksey, McKnight and Tinsley were going to be JRs next season instead of SRs. These are guys who probably should have been RS but out extreme lack of depth at their arrival made that an impossible task. The 2012 season would look REALLY promising if those guys would have gotten a year to RS.

It sounds to me, from reading here and elsewhere that it is probable he has left the program. However, that doesn't mean it is a 100% fact. Just a request and it may seem petty but please don't title threads with text that appears something is for-sure. For example, "Matt Eggen has left the program" sounds pretty air tight but the post itself simply says the name doesn't appear on a roster. Perhaps something like "Has Matt Eggen left the program?" or "It looks to me like Matt Eggen has left the program" would have been better.

+1. A thread with a title like this should contain a link to something official.

+1. A thread with a title like this should contain a link to something official.

Trust me, it's official. There is a thread on rivals with 30+ responses talking about him and the issue of attrition moving forward.

Trust me, it's official. There is a thread on rivals with 30+ responses talking about him and the issue of attrition moving forward.

Not to be dismissive about it, but I don't think a thread on Rivals constitutes something being "official" lol.

But to your other point, it is concerning if there's a lot of attrition, but at the same time, it seems like Kill isn't gonna be caught off guard by it if it occurs, which seems likely based on the way he's recruiting. We already have more commits than scholarships available, so that alone already speaks to what sounds like upcoming attrition. As long as he's ready for it, I think in the end we'll be alright.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread. Talking about a 19 yr old kid who has left the football team and possibly isn't in school anymore shouldn't be referred to as "trimming the fat", that's pretty callous.

JackiO does make a good point too, attrition has a larger impact than merely on the 1's and 2's of the depth chart. We don't have to look any further at our own roster....imagine if guys like Stoudermire, Kirksey, McKnight and Tinsley were going to be JRs next season instead of SRs. These are guys who probably should have been RS but out extreme lack of depth at their arrival made that an impossible task. The 2012 season would look REALLY promising if those guys would have gotten a year to RS.
McKnight had a year to redshirt. There was no excuse to play him during that year. Pure and utter stupidity.

Not to be dismissive about it, but I don't think a thread on Rivals constitutes something being "official" lol.

But to your other point, it is concerning if there's a lot of attrition, but at the same time, it seems like Kill isn't gonna be caught off guard by it if it occurs, which seems likely based on the way he's recruiting. We already have more commits than scholarships available, so that alone already speaks to what sounds like upcoming attrition. As long as he's ready for it, I think in the end we'll be alright.

First point - :cool:

Second point - I understand he might not be caught off guard, but the players that he is getting commitments from are years away from helping the team. The players he is losing right now cannot be replaced anytime soon by this class or even the class that is coming in this year which will hurt. Guys will have to step in that normally would not have been called on who A.) are not near ready to play on a big-ten level or B.) are forfeiting their red-shirt year to play as true freshman which as Bob pointed out can hurt the overall production a player will give to the program big time.

NDSU offerred Eggen, Hope to have him come to Fargo and play at TCF on 9/24 !

McKnight had a year to redshirt. There was no excuse to play him during that year. Pure and utter stupidity.

I agree, but my point was merely that when you lose backups to attrition, it often makes a team be forced to burn some RS on players who would be really good in year5.

You are so stupid it actually boggles my mind how you have survived for so long....

Why haven't we banned this idiot yet? Anyone?Mods??

I'm not saying that it isn't true, but "official" to me means a story on Gophersports, startribune, etc.

You really are that stupid, aren't you?

Don't even answer, save your breath, you'll need it to inflate your date this weekend.

Every single player who leaves or doesn't get offered by the U, he'll post a little blurb about them going to NDSU. Seriously, he will do it for EVERY single kid. He did it for Royce White leaving the basketball program. At least this time, Lakesbison didn't pretend he had some inside info on the situation.

You are so stupid it actually boggles my mind how you have survived for so long....

Why haven't we banned this idiot yet? Anyone?Mods??

Give him a break... Stupidity is all he has going for him... Sad but true ;-)

"Trimming the fat" is a pretty callous way of saying it. That said, the kids are given a scholarship worth a whole lot of money. Staying up on their studies, if that is the issue, to go along with the demands that come with football is not that much to ask in return.

If it is his academics, there is not a lot coach Kill can do about it other than send him off with as much encouragement as possible to get back on his feet and recruit his replacement.

typical response when someone leaves this program. always get a didn't need him anyway post.

I would think with the HC saying the roster lacks depth any player leaving regardless of position should not be treated as " he wasn't going to play anyway".

We haven't had a lot of kids from our area go to D-I schools, so to have one go to Minnesota was especially cool. Bummer if true, best of luck Matt!

That sounds pretty callous when talking about a kid's college scholarship. These kids should not be viewed as expendable if they're not on the 2-deep by their 2nd year; that is not a good culture for the program to establish.

:D No offense, but that's how any successful program is run. And usually the message is delivered by a position coach saying basically 'clean out your f*cking locker'.

This isn't Pop Warner.

If he isn't on the official roster then isn't that official enough?

:D No offense, but that's how any successful program is run. And usually the message is delivered by a position coach saying basically 'clean out your f*cking locker'.

This isn't Pop Warner.

I have a hard time believing this to be true and if a HC is giving a guy to boot, he better be man enough to do it himself. The only time I've seen players kicked off is for grades, repeatedly failing drug tests (3rd strike and you're out) or getting in trouble with the law. Part of a player not panning out is on the coaches for recruiting them.

I have a hard time believing this to be true and if a HC is giving a guy to boot, he better be man enough to do it himself. The only time I've seen players kicked off is for grades, repeatedly failing drug tests (3rd strike and you're out) or getting in trouble with the law. Part of a player not panning out is on the coaches for recruiting them.

It's not how it is done.

Top notch programs have kids who never really panned out and stayed on the team through their eligibility. No HC in America would start the practice of kicking the kids off the team who don't pan out. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Top Bottom