Matt Birk: If college athletes enter the transfer portal they shouldn't be eligible for NIL money.

It's not realistic and it would never work. I'm not sure even coaches would want that. You'd have even more players stick around solely for the money.

And they couldn't keep track of players getting money under the table before NIL, this would make it even harder. A guy gets $500K before he transfers, it would be pretty easy to "hide" the under the table money they'd get from the new team.
Harder to hide the new car.

He is allowed to have his opinion...it may be ridiculous and stupid, but he can definitely have it!

Why would it make any sense to restrict a players NIL because they transfer. Leaving aside it would never hold up in court, why should athletes be treated different than the coaches? If PJ left tomorrow they're would be zero restriction on where he could go or how much he could earn under contract or endorsements.

I never knew Matty hated the free market so much ;)

Fleck has a contract with the University of Minnesota. There are stipulations regarding his departure.

2nd and 3rd string tackles make significantly more?
There are 2 starting Tackles though as opposed to 1 starting QB. Generally the backups can play any OL position, so I would think many teams don't even have a designated 2nd String Tackle (much less a 3rd Stringer) and if they do he backs up both LT & RT.

Fleck has a contract with the University of Minnesota. There are stipulations regarding his departure.
Those stipulations can't cap how much he is allowed to earn elsewhere, nor would that be allowed. Neither would it be for a player earning NIL. Even if you could somehow justify it there is no way courts would allow it. (nor should they)

I get Birk's point, but much like most things the guy says it is non-sensical in practice.

Personally I believe Birk is one of the most selfish people around. I wouldn't trust him with anything.

The guy is a great dude who raises a family, is spiritual, works hard, follows the law and pays his taxes. You know you were going to get the usual Gopherhole crew who can’t stand him. Very predictable. Haha.
Even if we accept that all to be true...how does that make his opinion any less ridiculous? Great people say and think stupid things too ya know.

The guy is a great dude who raises a family, is spiritual, works hard, follows the law and pays his taxes. You know you were going to get the usual Gopherhole crew who can’t stand him. Very predictable. Haha.
Are these attributes special or something? Make you immune to criticism?

Dude got PAID and thinks other people shouldn't when ... it impacts his entertainment?

Plenty of reason to point out that absurdity / hypocrisy.

Last edited:

The guy took $64,000 in PPP money for his two person speaking operation, one of the two being him. This despite earning $51 million in his career.

How about: if you take NIL money, you pay for your college. If you don't, you get a full ride scholarship. They could have the option to switch annually.
Pretty sure that won't hold up in court either.

The guy took $64,000 in PPP money for his two person speaking operation, one of the two being him. This despite earning $51 million in his career.
What is PPP money?

Are these attributes special or something? Make you immune to criticism?

Dude got PAID and thinks other people shouldn't when ... it impacts his entertainment?

Plenty of reason to point out that absurdity / hypocrisy.
He's a very outspoken public figure. People are going to comment on his opinions. Just because you pay taxes or are spiritual doesn't make you immune to criticism.

What is PPP money?
Matt Birk is a passionate small business owner, and he wants the stifling forces of government off his back.

"You feel like the government's against you," says the ex-NFLer and current Republican politician. "There's too many regulations, too many taxes. There are enough obstacles to try and get a business off the ground without the government trying to push down on you."

But Birk, who earned an estimated $51,498,037 throughout his 15-year football career, elected to have the federal government uplift his motivational speaking/consulting biz. Matt Birk & Co. LLC received two fully forgiven Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans totaling $64,000 to help keep its two employees paid during COVID-19. Those employees appear to be Birk and Arkansas businessman Paul Vitale. The LLC is registered to Birk's 11,422-square-foot Mendota Heights mansion.

What Birk did was perfectly legal, but optically, it looks really sleazy and hypocritical.

Last edited:

Matt Birk is a passionate small business owner, and he wants the stifling forces of government off his back.

"You feel like the government's against you," says the ex-NFLer and current Republican politician. "There's too many regulations, too many taxes. There are enough obstacles to try and get a business off the ground without the government trying to push down on you."

But Birk, who earned an estimated $51,498,037 throughout his 15-year football career, elected to have the federal government uplift his motivational speaking/consulting biz. Matt Birk & Co. LLC received two fully forgiven Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans totaling $64,000 to help keep its two employees paid during COVID-19. Those employees appear to be Birk and Arkansas businessman Paul Vitale. The LLC is registered to Birk's 11,422-square-foot Mendota Heights mansion.
Thanks for the info!

I don't know. Rumor is LL Cool J says Kool Moe D was is a good daddy...:ROFLMAO:

How long till fall practices?

Start a thread countdown.

You can go it Jimmy. I believe in you! (Not really, because there’s a high probability you’ll move back in with us, when you’re stupid frickin liberal arts degree, which I financed results in a career as a barista)

I love you - your mom told me to say that .

Last edited:

What Birk did was perfectly legal, but optically, it looks really sleazy and hypocritical.

A guy I played LB with, we ran a 5-2, was as book smart a person as you’d ever meet, had a 33/34 on ACT went to NW.

He was a nice guy who was borderline socially inept and had zero common sense.

What some on here seem to not realize, is that there are various types of ways intelligence expresses itself.

Typical "conservative." Venal hypocrit.
Against "government spending" from the chin to the nose, but both hands wide open.

Laugh all you want. Kind of like Trump. The more legal trouble he gets into, the more people follow him. Likewise people over look Birk. So much for law and order. Oh wait a minute, these two think they are above the law.

Laugh all you want. Kind of like Trump. The more legal trouble he gets into, the more people follow him. Likewise people over look Birk. So much for law and order. Oh wait a minute, these two think they are above the law.
I'm not a huge Birk fan, but as far as I know he hasn't broken any laws.

Start a thread countdown.

You can go it Jimmy. I believe in you! (Not really, because there’s a high probability you’ll move back in with us, when you’re stupid frickin liberal arts degree, which I financed results in a career as a barista)

I love you - your mom told me to say that .
"I'll have two of what he's drinking" ;)

200w.gif

A guy I played LB with, we ran a 5-2, was as book smart a person as you’d ever meet, had a 33/34 on ACT went to NW.

He was a nice guy who was borderline socially inept and had zero common sense.

What some on here seem to not realize, is that there are various types of ways intelligence expresses itself.
40? or scheme? I think you meant to use a decimal point?

What is PPP money?
The giant air drop of trillions in printed money handed out with extremely limited accountability during the Trump administration, which is now used to blame inflation on the Biden administration.

I'll use it in a sentence. Forgiving massive six- and seven-figure PPP loans for conservative pols and business owners is morally and financially okay for our country, but forgiving $10K in student loan debt for some struggling middle class taxpayers will bankrupt us all and is pure communism.

I'm one of Birk's biggest critics but it's not his fault that PPP was a joke and he took advantage.

Top Bottom