Matt Birk: If college athletes enter the transfer portal they shouldn't be eligible for NIL money.

I know Matt is more intelligent than that. He surely realizes that the NCAA and Conferences have no control over the athletes getting NIL right!

Matty B.! Amen 🙏… might actually be the real Mr. Irrelevant in 2024…

I know Matt is more intelligent than that. He surely realizes that the NCAA and Conferences have no control over the athletes getting NIL right!
I duno about that ...

Dude always had that "he went to Harvard, he's smart" story around him. I always wondering what made folks think that other than "he went to Harvard". I'm not sure it was anything.

Anything and everything regarding saving/fixing major college athletics is going to come down to the legal authority granted by a collective bargaining agreement.

Just that simple. I’m not even saying Bork’s proposal would be part of that.

I duno about that ...

Dude always had that "he went to Harvard, he's smart" story around him. I always wondering what made folks think that other than "he went to Harvard". I'm not sure it was anything.

He was also an 6 time pro bowl Center, which is considered the 2nd most cerebral position on the offense behind QB.

Players should always be in a position to receive NIL money......earned from doing things that are actually related to NIL.

Players absolutely should not be able to enter the portal in order to go get a pay for play check from another school under the guise of NIL. But of course we all know that enforcing that would be very difficult and would almost certainly face constant lawsuits.

or, and hear me out here, we give kids NIL money for actual NIL rather than pay for play. If you're giving kids money for actual NIL, it will obviously be contractual that they do said NIL things. Can easily put that stipulation in your NIL contract that they must be member of "X team" while providing brand promotion, making appearances, posting on instagram, etc. If you wanted to hand someone the bag prior to them doing something for you and didn't attach those strings, sounds like you're a pretty stupid businessperson

It's not realistic and it would never work. I'm not sure even coaches would want that. You'd have even more players stick around solely for the money.

And they couldn't keep track of players getting money under the table before NIL, this would make it even harder. A guy gets $500K before he transfers, it would be pretty easy to "hide" the under the table money they'd get from the new team.

I miss amateur athletics. High school NIL is now in certain states.

Last edited:

I actually agree with Matt on this. NCAA, Conferences, or schools have no control over athletes getting NIL but it would be awesome (as a fan) if they could figure out a way to make a period of ineligibility for an athlete who receives NIL. I don't think this would hold up in the court of law but as a fan it would be better for the game and would eliminate the buy a player free agency we currently have.

Last edited:

He knows this. He's giving an opinion. All you LL's can settle down
He is allowed to have his opinion...it may be ridiculous and stupid, but he can definitely have it!

Why would it make any sense to restrict a players NIL because they transfer. Leaving aside it would never hold up in court, why should athletes be treated different than the coaches? If PJ left tomorrow they're would be zero restriction on where he could go or how much he could earn under contract or endorsements.

I never knew Matty hated the free market so much ;)

Matt Birk a great football player, statesman, father, scholar, Economist, open minded progressive free thinker which Minnesota, the U, society & social media needs. More Matt Birk please! When will the U hire Matt Birk?
Why would they hire him? Serious question. To teach economics?

I actually agree with Matt on this. NCAA, Conferences, or schools have no control over athletes getting NIL but it would be awesome (as a fan) if they could figure out a way to make a period of ineligibility for an athlete who receives NIL. I don't think this would hold up in the court of law but as a fan it would be better for the game and would eliminate the buy a player free agency we currently have.
The idea is fine. Actually implementing it is another thing.

make players employees of the school. compensation to be collectively bargained. have a pay scale with opportunity to earn bonuses based on performance. and......if school B is trying to hire a player away from school A, then School B must disclose its offer and School A has a right to match the offer or decline.

put it all out in the open.

make players employees of the school. compensation to be collectively bargained. have a pay scale with opportunity to earn bonuses based on performance. and......if school B is trying to hire a player away from school A, then School B must disclose its offer and School A has a right to match the offer or decline.

put it all out in the open.
I doubt that would fly. There would be fear that a school could sideline a player to keep them from reaching milestones, etc. Professional players have accused team owners/management in many different leagues of doing this before.

Top Bottom