Mason Carrier all in on MN: We would rather MAKE a better team than FIND a better team.

Pardon me? I'm an "outstate" kid who's spent more than half my life in the metro area. Just a bad take from you.
I don't get this metro vs outstate stuff I see on here sometimes. People should just live where they want. Some people like the city and some people like the country.

I don't get this metro vs outstate stuff I see on here sometimes. People should just live where they want. Some people like the city and some people like the country.
Agree, and many like both.

This is wildly overexaggerated.

This is wildly underexaggerated. Hell, the Gophers football head coach from 17 years ago probably spends more than 5 minutes each week talking about the Gophers by himself.

Also, it's a business. They don't talk about Gophers football because outside of a small dedicated fanbase, no one cares. I am an alum and maintain friendships with dozens of other alums. Out of the scores of them, there are two others I know who give a shit, at all, about Gopher football. They both used to post here quite a bit, but I haven't seen them on here in ages. And these are alums we're talking about - people who went to the school and love it. And if alums for the most part don't care, why would non-alums? You earn the coverage you receive, it's not gifted to you.

And meanwhile, the Vikings have a huge, rabid fanbase that consumes a ton of media about the team. Of course they're going to talk a lot about them, and flatteringly so, because they're interested in making money. I don't get what is so hard to grasp about this concept for so many people.
This. And these guys are big market radio personalities. They aren't college town townie hometown talent. They would love to cover a winner. The reality is that the major University athletic programs have been underwhelming for decades and no better than whelming at best. These guys want to cover a winner. Look at how fast the media has come around on the Wolves. The same would happen to the U (and did in 2019) with some success.

Is the overall view of the Gopher football program more positive, generally, outstate, and more negative in the metro?

If so, it would be interesting to try to figure out why that is.

Do they get less exposure to negative inputs (media) in the hinterlands?
In my neighborhood of outstate MN, people are generally cognizant of Gopher football but I can count on two fingers the number of what I would consider "die hard" Gopher fans.

I'd be curious to know who the Minnesotans are that attend the U. No one from my H.S. class attended the U. I knew two guys a year older than me who matriculated at the U. One left after three weeks. 2 out of a sample size of 120. When the local paper sends out the graduation supplement each May, I note few, if any, students indicating they will enroll at the U.

If Perich bolts, PJ will get just one of the top 5 MN recruits and just 2 of top 7. Carrier and Seidl..

Unacceptable.

In my neighborhood of outstate MN, people are generally cognizant of Gopher football but I can count on two fingers the number of what I would consider "die hard" Gopher fans.

I'd be curious to know who the Minnesotans are that attend the U. No one from my H.S. class attended the U. I knew two guys a year older than me who matriculated at the U. One left after three weeks. 2 out of a sample size of 120. When the local paper sends out the graduation supplement each May, I note few, if any, students indicating they will enroll at the U.
Four guys from my exurban neighborhood graduated from the U. We had quite a few from my class of 420 or so go. I think most went to Duluth and St. Thomas though.

Threads earlier in the year were lauding how many top MN kids committed to the Gophers. My, how quickly things can go south with a bad season, big $$, and revolving door of coaches.

To make it worse, it almost seems like Rossi fucking mailed it in and is one of the causes of the shit show.

Last edited:

Top Bottom