Mason Carrier all in on MN: We would rather MAKE a better team than FIND a better team.

For some reason, this kind of loyalty to the state flagship and passion for building it up and actual desire to come to Mpls, tends to exist in Outstate kids far more than Metro kids.

Is the overall view of the Gopher football program more positive, generally, outstate, and more negative in the metro?

If so, it would be interesting to try to figure out why that is.

Do they get less exposure to negative inputs (media) in the hinterlands?

Is the overall view of the Gopher football program more positive, generally, outstate, and more negative in the metro?

A lot of kids that grow up in the metro almost get too much exposure to the U. Lots of kids want to just try something different. I imagine for outstate kids, moving to the cities is a new experience and away from home.

But let's keep this thread talking about Mason and not get too far off topic.

First thing I thought about this was "this is 100% directed at Koi and Mason knows Koi is 100% on the fence right now."

I am assuming they are on group chats, etc and have been in a lot of communication with each other.
On the fence?

Lol, he gone

100% agree though it was directed at him

For some reason, this kind of loyalty to the state flagship and passion for building it up and actual desire to come to Mpls, tends to exist in Outstate kids far more than Metro kids.
How you gonna keep them in the big city, once they’ve seen the big city? 🤔

Do you listen to Kfan? The radio flagship spends 90% of time poking fun at the gophers. That is the 5 minutes they cover it. You can be critical but how many times has common man or Barrerio played the holy cross hockey radio call or touchdown yotes.

I give them credit their game day coverage is good and extensive. But having the Gophers there I feel is largely negative. They make fun of this statement as well that their coverage matters to recruits. Radio stations in other towns can be negative and harsh at times. However it is not little stupid sound bites over and over again.

We have untalented Iowa fan as our sideline reporter. Gaard is awful.

Do you listen to Kfan? The radio flagship spends 90% of time poking fun at the gophers. That is the 5 minutes they cover it. You can be critical but how many times has common man or Barrerio played the holy cross hockey radio call or touchdown yotes.

I give them credit their game day coverage is good and extensive. But having the Gophers there I feel is largely negative. They make fun of this statement as well that their coverage matters to recruits. Radio stations in other towns can be negative and harsh at times. However it is not little stupid sound bites over and over again.

We have untalented Iowa fan as our sideline reporter. Gaard is awful.
Even if they didn't air the games, they could still make fun of the Gophers. In fact they've probably toned it down a little since they took the games from CCO.

I do agree though that their attitude toward the Gophers and Vikings is completely different. Vikings is 90% positivity and Gophers is 90% negativity.

Even if they didn't air the games, they could still make fun of the Gophers. In fact they've probably toned it down a little since they took the games from CCO.

I do agree though that their attitude toward the Gophers and Vikings is completely different. Vikings is 90% positivity and Gophers is 90% negativity.
Oh it was worse before, I am friends with a lot of people who worked there. I grew up with Mick Anslemo's son. They all said there was not one Gopher fan working there, this was the 2005-2015 range. They can be negative but in and out of every break with negative Gopher moments made me turn it off, They reveal in a Gopher downfall.

It's still considerably better game day coverage and PbP than when Dave "Country Hearth" Lee was calling games.

A lot of kids that grow up in the metro almost get too much exposure to the U. Lots of kids want to just try something different. I imagine for outstate kids, moving to the cities is a new experience and away from home.
And for kids in the metro, it's the same thing - moving away to somewhere else is a new experience away from home. I could have gone to the U - at times I wish I had - but I didn't want to go to school only 30 miles away from where I grew up.

The radio flagship spends 90% of time poking fun at the gophers.
This is wildly overexaggerated.
That is the 5 minutes they cover it.
This is wildly underexaggerated. Hell, the Gophers football head coach from 17 years ago probably spends more than 5 minutes each week talking about the Gophers by himself.

Also, it's a business. They don't talk about Gophers football because outside of a small dedicated fanbase, no one cares. I am an alum and maintain friendships with dozens of other alums. Out of the scores of them, there are two others I know who give a shit, at all, about Gopher football. They both used to post here quite a bit, but I haven't seen them on here in ages. And these are alums we're talking about - people who went to the school and love it. And if alums for the most part don't care, why would non-alums? You earn the coverage you receive, it's not gifted to you.

And meanwhile, the Vikings have a huge, rabid fanbase that consumes a ton of media about the team. Of course they're going to talk a lot about them, and flatteringly so, because they're interested in making money. I don't get what is so hard to grasp about this concept for so many people.

It's still considerably better game day coverage and PbP than when Dave "Country Hearth" Lee was calling games.
100% agree, their game day coverage is light years ahead of CCO. Minus that untalented boxed mashed potatoe Iowa fan.

This is wildly underexaggerated. Hell, the Gophers football head coach from 17 years ago probably spends more than 5 minutes each week talking about the Gophers by himself.

Also, it's a business. They don't talk about Gophers football because outside of a small dedicated fanbase, no one cares. I am an alum and maintain friendships with dozens of other alums. Out of the scores of them, there are two others I know who give a shit, at all, about Gopher football. They both used to post here quite a bit, but I haven't seen them on here in ages. And these are alums we're talking about - people who went to the school and love it. And if alums for the most part don't care, why would non-alums? You earn the coverage you receive, it's not gifted to you.

And meanwhile, the Vikings have a huge, rabid fanbase that consumes a ton of media about the team. Of course they're going to talk a lot about them, and flatteringly so, because they're interested in making money. I don't get what is so hard to grasp about this concept for so many people.
Fair, but they go out of their way to constantly make fun of the Gophers. Id rather they igonre them all together than even talk about them. I do not believe any coverage is good coverage. Just ignore the Gophers all together I think would be a net postitive. They are awful and dont care. PA once did an interview with Quincy Lewis asked him what it was like playing for Monson three times in the same interview and then immediately went to the Vikings. Did not even bother a quick 30 second review.

They can talk about whatever they want but OP asked why outstate kids seem to look more favorable at the U. The uneeded sound bites 60 times a day are part of it.

Last edited:

As much as many don’t want to hear it, this is spot on.

And for kids in the metro, it's the same thing - moving away to somewhere else is a new experience away from home.
Yes, that's what I was saying.

Fair, but they go out of their way to constantly make fun of the Gophers. Id rather they igonre them all together than even talk about them. I do not believe any coverage is good coverage. Just ignore the Gophers all together I think would be a net postitive. They are awful and dont care. PA once did an interview with Quincy Lewis asked him what it was like playing for Monson three times in the same interview and then immediately went to the Vikings. Did not even bother a quick 30 second review.

They can talk about whatever they want but OP asked why outstate kids seem to look more favorable at the U. The uneeded sound bites 60 times a day are part of it.

Did you know KFAN broadcasts to the entire state? Even in Luverne, Ely, Grand Forks and Kasson. They all can listen. They have radios and phone apps just like the metro kids. Hard to believe but some kids don’t want to stay in the same county for college. I drove past a large public university every single day to get to elementary, middle and high school. I never once considered going there.

Top Bottom