Mason as color man on BTN broadcast and Ricky Foggie

Mick Turition

Piss 'On Wisconsin'
Reaction score
Thought he did a nice job today; was practically a Gopher homer up there in the booth, especially after the Kirkwood TD. Glad Kill reached out to him, he seems to have gotten over the bitterness.

And how about Coach Kill trotting out a Ricky Foggie reference in the immediate post-game interview? Very rough week for him followed by an emotional win and he can still whip out the Foggie. Man does his homework. In retrospect if makes me wonder if Mason even knows who Ricky Foggie is?

I was at the game, and am in the process of re-watching it on BTN2Go.com right now.. but up until the Kirkland (ha) TD, he didn't seem as homerish as I had expected.. But when he got all excited about that TD, I lol'd and told Mace, via my monitor, that I loved him. lol

As far as Coach's post-game interview/presser.. I missed that. Someone able to get video on that?

Go to GopherSports.com.

Click on the Postgame video. (Not able to create a link).

Go Gophers. In Kill We Trust!

Best Mason lines of the game.

1) "If I'm Miami's coach, I tell my team no way are we going to let Gray run the ball anymore"
I wish he would have told his old Gopher team, "No way are we going to let Chris Perry catch a screen pass anymore".

2) "If I'm coaching Minnesota, I'd play the corners off more."
And that is exactly why you are no longer coaching Minnesota

I enjoyed listening to Mason and his perspective as an experienced HC. Much better than what the BTN usually puts out there.

I liked a couple of his quips. "BYOB" Be Your Own Blocker, and "Some love to coach football (in reference to Kill) and then there are others that love to be the football coach"

I thought he did a great job. Was very glad when he was fired and believe it was the right decision. Glad that he and Coach Kill have connected and since he has stayed in town I guess the program needs all the supporters we can get.

You know that after seeing that stadium, and witnessing yesterday's game-day atmosphere on a sunny mid-September day, that Mason went home and had a really long cry.

You know that after seeing that stadium, and witnessing yesterday's game-day atmosphere on a sunny mid-September day, that Mason went home and had a really long cry.

More likely he had a drink and a smile.

Thought he did a pretty good job. Play-by-play guy was just okay, but he had done his research. When Mason criticized Bennett on a spin move, he said something like "and you would know as the guy who recruited him." I wish Mason had pointed out that it wasn't a picture of Wilson Library when the announcer tried to crack a joke.

It has to be tough (for both parties) when the fired coach sticks around the community after being dismissed, but Mason appears to have put most of whatever anger he had behind him, which has to be tough to do. Kudos to him for that.

I think you are pretty misleading in your comments 50poundhead. The anger stories about that brewster character and the trophy cases are probably what you are thinking of. They, of course were refuted... ; 0 )

I think you have your coaches and "anger" all mixed up and your inference of anger misplaced...mr.fifty pounder. I think you are thinking about that brewster character...

Coach Mason was ok with the University of Minnesota...it honored his contract. After extending his contract, badger joel macturi and prexy b had to buy out Mason's contract for millions and millions of dollars when they fired him long AFTER the stadium was a done deal.

It was evident that Mason was necessary to get the stadium naming rights deal done with his friend, Mr. Cooper from TCF. bjm and prexy b needed Mason more than Mason needed them and they had to borrow a lot of money from the General Fund to honor Mr. Mason's contract that they had given him just the year before. A deal is a deal. A contract is a contract. Millions and millions of dollars is a pretty good trade off for four years of a contract drawn up by people like badger joel macturi and prexy b.

Wren, try some reading comprehension classes. I clearly say "whatever anger" he had. Perhaps he had none. He was likely disappointed by the U's decision and "disappointment" would probably have been the more appropriate word for me to use in this instance.

I'm just glad that all seems to be well with the world again.

PS--Where do I mention Brewster in my comments? You didn't see me whining and crying when he was fired.

Understatement of the Year

Wren, try some reading comprehension classes.

Like everything else wren says or does, it is all base on his agenda, not what the facts are or what was said. He is truly a piece of work.

as I recall a wealthy alum and donor wanted and paid for Glenn's termination, if it was all Macutri, he would have been around longer but when a donor who honor's the U with tens of millions, it has a lot of weight

I liked a couple of his quips. "BYOB" Be Your Own Blocker, and "Some love to coach football (in reference to Kill) and then there are others that love to be the football coach"

I thought the coach line was a great quote. Listening to Mase on the broadcast was a little like listening to TK this summer when he subbed for Bert during a few Twins games. Substantially more informative than that to which we are accustomed.

Everytime I hear the name Glen Mason I think of the Michigan tragedy in the dome. The nightmare still lives on.

So....ok idagopher: You claim some wealthy donor wanted GM bought out and threw....

down the cash????? I'd say that sounds like a bunch of b.s. I recall how prexy b gave a 7 million dollar loan from the General Fund to the athletic department to pay for the buy outs of Mason and Monson. That's right...that's how much the foolish prexy b and bjm dropped on that little fiasco...and then they brought the brewster failure in to run the football show. How did that work out for those administrative flops?

So name the dude or dudette who funded the "so-called" Mason buy out. He or she certainly threw their money down a rat-hole IF there is an ounce of truth in what you say. (I'm not buying it ida...) Just think that "so-called buy-out hanger-on would have paved the way for that brewster disaster. What a punk move that would have been.

So just WHO is the alleged donor who brewstered all over the football program? We should dedicate that 2007 0-8 Big Ten record just to the dude/dudette who allegedly paved the way for the brewster disaster. May his name live in infamy...

IF there was any fool who would admit to THAT kind of stupidity...let that fool come forward and admit that he/she was responsible for the brewster fiasco and forever hide in shame.

idagopher: I don't buy a word you say...

; 0 )

parski1: I LOVED that 2003 game a LOT more than the 49-7 head bashings that Michigan always gave the Gophers under all the other coaches. And I especially was fond of the 2005 win over the cornblues in their big house.

Those 49-7 thrashings got really old. It was really GREAT to finally be able to compete with Michigan for those three seasons. I suppose you LOVE those 49-7 type head bashings a lot parski1??????

Give me a heartbreaking loss ANY and EVERY day over a 49-7 head bashing at the hands of Michigan. And that win in 2005 was pretty damn nice. It is a great memory. I was in Columbus in 2000 too. That was pretty fine too!

Did Mason really have Greg Jones and JJ Watt committed before he was fired?... If so it's slightly hard not to imagine what he could have done with this program with a stadium to recruit defensive players to... Let's be honest, the man was a defense away from one or two Rose Bowls. He produced quite possible the best offenses the Gophers ever had, but..... i'm very grateful for Coach Kill and glad he's here and is as big a class act as he is that he has the backing of former coaches and even some of the best teachers of sport in history (Bobby Knight).

Did I hear Mason correctly? Did he say the Billy Cockerham was a terrible practice qb, but a real "gamer." Billy C is one of my favorite Gophers of all time. I have to say that I enjoyed Mason's work in the booth and he seemed to be happier (more content) as a game announcer than than I anticipated.

Did Mason really have Greg Jones and JJ Watt committed before he was fired?... If so it's slightly hard not to imagine what he could have done with this program with a stadium to recruit defensive players to... Let's be honest, the man was a defense away from one or two Rose Bowls. He produced quite possible the best offenses the Gophers ever had, but..... i'm very grateful for Coach Kill and glad he's here and is as big a class act as he is that he has the backing of former coaches and even some of the best teachers of sport in history (Bobby Knight).

He recruited Watt as a TE. Don't know if he would have stayed there, but I think Eastern Michigan recruited him as a TE as well.

Would have been interesting to see how good we may have been had we had two guys like that on defense though.

I picked up on Kill's knowledge of Foggie too. Just another example of how he has not left a single stone unturned has he has taken over this program.

He recruited Watt as a TE. Don't know if he would have stayed there, but I think Eastern Michigan recruited him as a TE as well.

Would have been interesting to see how good we may have been had we had two guys like that on defense though.

Watt went to Central Michigan and not Eastern Michigan. The only reason I know that is that Central Michigan is my bosses alma mater.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/watt_jj00.html

imthewalrus said:
down the cash????? I'd say that sounds like a bunch of b.s. I recall how prexy b gave a 7 million dollar loan from the General Fund to the athletic department to pay for the buy outs of Mason and Monson. That's right...that's how much the foolish prexy b and bjm dropped on that little fiasco...and then they brought the brewster failure in to run the football show. How did that work out for those administrative flops?

So name the dude or dudette who funded the "so-called" Mason buy out. He or she certainly threw their money down a rat-hole IF there is an ounce of truth in what you say. (I'm not buying it ida...) Just think that "so-called buy-out hanger-on would have paved the way for that brewster disaster. What a punk move that would have been.

So just WHO is the alleged donor who brewstered all over the football program? We should dedicate that 2007 0-8 Big Ten record just to the dude/dudette who allegedly paved the way for the brewster disaster. May his name live in infamy...

IF there was any fool who would admit to THAT kind of stupidity...let that fool come forward and admit that he/she was responsible for the brewster fiasco and forever hide in shame.

idagopher: I don't buy a word you say...

; 0 )

I have to agree about the donor myth I can't see a donor picking up the buyout without insisting that the AD responsible be fired as part of the deal, and Maturi is still here. The only way I see this scenario as possible is if the donor was also responsible for sponsoring the extension - a possibility, but if true, someone has too much time and money on their hands.

As a Badger fan, I still have nightmares about Ricky Foggie before every axe game. I swear, and I think University records would support this, he played for eight straight years for Minnesota, beating us 10 of those times.

Foggie was amazing. What is he doing now?

Rickey Foggie is the head coach at Park Center High School, which is located in the Northwest suburbs of the Twin Cities.

Top Bottom