Mark Williams to WR?

Hates Monikers

Reaction score
According to Joe Christensen, Mark Williams has been working at WR. Maybe only because his hand is injured and he can't throw. But I wonder if they would do the same with Croft and Green if they had the same injury.

Freshman quarterback Mark Williams has a right hand injury and is redshirting this season. While the injury heals, he’s been running routes with the receivers, keeping open the possibility of a potential position change.

The 6-foot, 190-pound Williams was an all-state quarterback in Alabama but looks impressive at receiver, too.

Asked about a potential position switch for Williams, Jay Johnson said, “We’re in that process. We hope he can manage to be back here [throwing, etc.] relatively soon and get a better evaluation of where he might fit.”

http://m.startribune.com/four-gophers-reinstated-but-playing-status-is-uncertain/395914411/

Wasn't this the kid Jay Johnson brought with him? (I mean he was recruiting him before he came to Minnesota according to Ryan Burns). If so I thought he was already ahead of Seth Green.

I mean, things change, maybe he's having trouble latching onto the offense, maybe Green and others have improved more than him, or maybe it's just a way to keep in active in the offense while he can't throw so he is still learning.

Well, Matt Saracen did the same thing when he couldn't earn QB1 over J.D. McCoy......he knew the offense well!

Passing Accuracy

Lightning quick, sweet feet excellent potential as a wide receiver, punt returner, jet sweep guy, bubble screen guy if he can catch. Passing accuracy based on one fall day...throws in a direction...no idea where it's going.
Awesome exciting athletic potential...really good at making people miss tackles.

Croft isn't fast enough to play receiver.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I'm thinking this is a way to get an athlete on the football field that has good speed and athleticism. If he has a hurt hand though that would seem odd that he would try and play at WR. Don't think Williams has seen any game action yet.

Lightning quick, sweet feet excellent potential as a wide receiver, punt returner, jet sweep guy, bubble screen guy if he can catch. Passing accuracy based on one fall day...throws in a direction...no idea where it's going.
Awesome exciting athletic potential...really good at making people miss tackles.

Can't speak to the rest but if he is really quick then you should cross Jet Sweep off the list because we only run that play with slow receivers to the short side of the field. Don't know much about the kid but with what you describe strikes me as the typical guy you see who plays QB in high school because he is the best athlete on the team (Tyler Johnson) but at the college level is better suited for something else.

Maybe running patterns is the best way to stay in shape.

I wouldn't read to much into it. If you're redshirting and can't throw, might as well stay active and continue to learn offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croft is definitely a good enough athlete to play WR.
Speaking of speed....did the Gophers ever release the velocity results this year? I know they did the last couple years.

I hope he stays at QB. He reminds me a little of the TCU QB Boykin.
I think Williams has more potential to be like boykin.

The offense really is lacking a home run threat at WR, I don't see the harm in giving him a look there. That being said, I too heard that he was pretty impressive at QB in fall camp.

Top Bottom