Mark Cuban: NCAA is 'hypocritical'; D-League is better than NCAA's one-and-done

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes it's in the best interests of elite prospects to play in the NBA Development League instead of spending one season in college.

"I think what will end up happening -- and this is my opinion, not that of the league -- is if the colleges don't change from the one-and-done, we'll go after the one," Cuban said. "The NCAA rules are so hypocritical, there's absolutely no reason for a kid to go [to college], because he's not going to class [and] he's actually not even able to take advantage of all the fun because the first semester he starts playing basketball. So if the goal is just to graduate to the NBA or be an NBA player, go to the D-League."

Cuban suggests guaranteeing college tuition for such players, whether or not they pan out as NBA prospects, as an incentive.

"We can get rid of all the hypocrisy and improve the education," Cuban said. "If the whole plan is just to go to college for one year maybe or just the first semester, that's not a student-athlete. That's ridiculous.

"You don't have to pretend. We don't have to pretend. A major college has to pretend that they're treating them like a student-athlete, and it's a big lie and we all know it's a big lie. At least at most schools, not all. ... But we can put more of an emphasis on their education. We can plan it out, have tutors. We can do all kinds of things that the NCAA doesn't allow schools to do that would really put the individual first."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

Go Gophers!!

It's not the NCAA rules that force one-and-done, it's the NBA's rules. Did the NCAA somehow force the NBA to change the drafting rules, or did the NBA do it to protect themselves from risky high school players?

Also, I'd say it's most schools that do treat student-athletes as such, and a small minority who don't (at least how Cuban is arguing it). There are a very small number of school's who get one-and-done players, while Cuban seems to imply the opposite.

And where does he get the idea that schools don't provide tutors? And how would playing in the D-League emphasize education more than playing at a college? I feel like kids that opt for the D-League instead of college would be doing it because they want to get paid and/or don't want to go to school. I'm not following his logic on this.

It's not the NCAA rules that force one-and-done, it's the NBA's rules. Did the NCAA somehow force the NBA to change the drafting rules, or did the NBA do it to protect themselves from risky high school players?

Also, I'd say it's most schools that do treat student-athletes as such, and a small minority who don't (at least how Cuban is arguing it). There are a very small number of school's who get one-and-done players, while Cuban seems to imply the opposite.

And where does he get the idea that schools don't provide tutors? And how would playing in the D-League emphasize education more than playing at a college? I feel like kids that opt for the D-League instead of college would be doing it because they want to get paid and/or don't want to go to school. I'm not following his logic on this.

It's because he doesn't use any. If they want to 'go after the one and dones', what is the ncaaa doing to stop them? Go for it. Cuban is such a door knob at times.

How would Calipari recruit if this was to come to fruition?

Cuban is not the first to say things like this and I don't get it. Sure there are kids who don't give a rip about the education, but a majority do take advantage of their scholarships, even if their #1 reason for being there is for sports.

So many people continue to imply that most don't care about their education, and i don't think that is true at all.

I think the NBA will go to two years pretty soon. They should either do that or make it like baseball, you can come out after high school, but if you go to college can't declare until you're 21

Moreso than the NCAA, the hypocrites are the hordes of 5-star recruits lining up to go to Kentucky and Kansas that don't really give a damn about school, try to get away with taking as much stuff as possible under the table, and just want to turn pro ASAP. Those kids need to just go to the NBDL or Europe instead, but it would be worse publicity for the NCAA to deny them clearance due to suspected violations than to allow them to play and penalize them for whatever violations they can find.

It's not the NCAA's one and done, it's the NBA's. The NBA can go ahead, change their rules and sign players right out of high school. Don't blame the NCAA for the NBA's problems.

It's not the NCAA's one and done, it's the NBA's. The NBA can go ahead, change their rules and sign players right out of high school. Don't blame the NCAA for the NBA's problems.

That's it in a nutshell. Please forward to Mark Cuban.

Cubans point is not that the one and done rule is stupid it's why more kids don't play in the NBDL instead of college. He wants the DL to provide scholarship money for those who want to go to college. The DL is a way for kids to get paid for their one year. It really is a much better option than most realize. They'd rather take money under the table (NCAA) than actually get paid legitimately. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Bottom line is he wants to top college players to go to the DL instead of college. There would bea lot more fan interest in the DL and their playoffs, since it would then feature some high profile players. The DL would then generate more money for the NBA and it's owners. Bottom line, it all about generating more money.

Bottom line is he wants to top college players to go to the DL instead of college. There would bea lot more fan interest in the DL and their playoffs, since it would then feature some high profile players. The DL would then generate more money for the NBA and it's owners. Bottom line, it all about generating more money.

Correct. And then players get paid too and we can end all of this paying college players drama.

I thought the d-league was full of guys already on nba contract. Is it truly an 'amateur' league?

Correct. And then players get paid too and we can end all of this paying college players drama.

But then the talent pool and interest would diminish in the NCAA. I would hate for the gophers to play second fiddle to a D-league team. We already complain enough about the Viking.s

I thought the d-league was full of guys already on nba contract. Is it truly an 'amateur' league?

It can be both. A lot of the guys don't have contracts, some do. Manny Harris (former Michigan guard) was playing NBDL and the Lakers picked him up.

Agree, I almost wish they would adopt baseball rules, let a kid go pro immediately after high school, but force them to stay three years if they enter college, you would probably see an uptick of high school kids opting for the D league but those that enter college would be students.

SportingNews: Cuban's comments on 'one-and-done' seem wrong in a billion ways

What Cuban neglects, in addition to the extraordinary history of talent development the colleges have achieved, is the marketing job they have done on behalf of the league, turning barely-known high school basketball players into household names. More stars will be minted by the end of this month, in the way that Gordon Hayward became known in 2010, or Derrick Rose in 2008, or Dwyane Wade in 2003.

The colleges get no money from the NBA for this service. Mostly, they get criticism.

“I’m not trying to jump to conclusions and say I’ve analyzed this whole thing out,” Cuban said during his interview.

That might have been the only thing he got right.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...and-done-bird-magic-ncaa-basketball-nba-draft

Go Gophers!!

SportingNews: Cuban's comments on 'one-and-done' seem wrong in a billion ways What Cuban neglects, in addition to the extraordinary history of talent development the colleges have achieved, is the marketing job they have done on behalf of the league, turning barely-known high school basketball players into household names. More stars will be minted by the end of this month, in the way that Gordon Hayward became known in 2010, or Derrick Rose in 2008, or Dwyane Wade in 2003. The colleges get no money from the NBA for this service. Mostly, they get criticism. “I’m not trying to jump to conclusions and say I’ve analyzed this whole thing out,” Cuban said during his interview. That might have been the only thing he got right. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-02/cubans-comments-on-one-and-done-bird-magic-ncaa-basketball-nba-draft Go Gophers!!

What's hilarious to all of this to me, is that a month ago the NCAA was evil. Exploiting players, underpaying them, forcing them to play there, etc.

Cuban says, well why don't they play in the NBDL and get paid?

Now the media says Cuban is a moron, the NCAA is the greatest institution of all time, doesn't anyone see how these players are developing, the scholarship, the headlines, what a fantastic deal for the players. Shame on you to suggest otherwise Mark Cuban!

What's hilarious to all of this to me, is that a month ago the NCAA was evil. Exploiting players, underpaying them, forcing them to play there, etc.

Cuban says, well why don't they play in the NBDL and get paid?

Now the media says Cuban is a moron, the NCAA is the greatest institution of all time, doesn't anyone see how these players are developing, the scholarship, the headlines, what a fantastic deal for the players. Shame on you to suggest otherwise Mark Cuban!

Does the media have one spokesperson?

The NBA gets alot of marketing value from the NCAA, take a kid like John Wall or Kyle Irving, if they went directly to the NBA, joe blow fan that didn't follow pro basketball that closely might not know who they were, the way it is now a big college hoops fan certainly would know who they were even if they didn't follow the NBA.

Top Bottom