Mark Coyle's Job Should Be On The Line

Posted this on the hoops board, but not everyone reads both.

Coyle isn't going anywhere. The U has an interim president that is contractually unable to be hired for the permanent position. Nothing will happen until we get a new president in place. Hopefully they don't hire some sports-hater.
Agreed. Hopefully the new president reviews the AD position.

Your exact words were:

There are more fortune 500 companies in the metro area than any other big ten team.

I was responding to that. Maybe choose your words more carefully before acting smart newbie.
You used Chicago as a reference which brings northwestern into the picture as they have billed themselves as Chicago's big ten team. Choose your words more carefully before acting smart newbie.

Yes, and Chicago has a B1G team, and they have more fortune 500 companies than the Twin Cities. Glad to see I was right all along.

You would be surprised. Big donors are cultivated. It takes time and effort to build a relationship before the donor writes the big check. People give to people and the big donations never happen overnight. I don't think Coyle spends much, if any, time cultivating big contributors.
I'd disagree with that. Coyle hit the ground running trying to connect with different people/ organizations. I actually saw him networking once.

Is he good/ effective at it? Time will tell.

I'd disagree with that. Coyle hit the ground running trying to connect with different people/ organizations. I actually saw him networking once.

Time will tell? He's been AD for quite a while. He hasn't raised a cent for the athletes village. I'd say he's pretty much a disaster at fundraising.

Fandom is weird,

But fandom is also based on geography and happenstance ... it seems solid as a rock, until happenstance happens again.
It used to be based solely on geography. I don't know about the NHL, but you can easily watch every game you want from any team in the other of the 4 major pro sports. You're no longer tethered to your local broadcast only. I wonder if I just picked a random ACC team, how many of their games could I have watched this season. If it's not all of them, I bet it's close.

It used to be based solely on geography. I don't know about the NHL, but you can easily watch every game you want from any team in the other of the 4 major pro sports. You're no longer tethered to your local broadcast only. I wonder if I just picked a random ACC team, how many of their games could I have watched this season. If it's not all of them, I bet it's close.
You can?

If Coyle should be fired it is because of these state flag options…. how could he do this to us????

Time will tell? He's been AD for quite a while. He hasn't raised a cent for the athletes village. I'd say he's pretty much a disaster at fundraising.
Fair enough.

Again --

where does this sentiment that fund raising is a simple, linear function of how hard you try, come from???

You cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

I'd say time has told. He has the kind of strong organizational and oversight skills that are usually associated with the number two person in a large organization.

He's been in the job for several years and hasn't raised much money to date. Like it or not, raising money is the top priority for any AD at a power five school these days. Coyle's lack of a fundraising track record is most likely why USC didn't want him.

Top Bottom