Mark Coyle's Job Should Be On The Line

jamiche

Reaction score
As I was watching the game and noting the huge gap in talent it occurred to me that the fingers are pointed at the wrong folks. Of course PJ coached not to lose and Johnson is inexperienced as a head coach. However, the game has changed completely in the last three years and Coyle is still playing by the old rules.

Minnesota football and men's basketball teams don't have a chance unless or until Coyle starts raising heavy, heavy NIL money. Not. A. Chance. He's an earnest, decent, organized AD, well suited for the position in, say, 2010. There's a reason USC didn't want him. He can't raise money. He's a perfect assistant AD for 2023.

The next U president needs to bring in a new AD director who is a prolific fundraiser. Once the money flows, the talent will miraculously appear. Until then, it will get continuously worse for football and basketball.

Coyle would refute your post, but he can’t speak English. We have an interim president with all kinds of shit on his hands. No shot that there’s any issues with his job security, unfortunately.

Coupes job should be on the line because of the basketball program tbh

But I think this thread is on the wrong board

You can’t squeeze blood from a turnip.

There is no NIL to be had. You can’t just make it appear by trying harder.

That’s not at all how it works. Plain proof: Texas A&M is terrible, and they swim in NIL and every other type of donation.

College sports donations come from wealthy individuals who are rabid fans of a team for whatever reason.

You can’t make that out of thin air. They’re either already there or they don’t exist.

There’s no rich alum of the U who watches the football and/ or MBB teams just sitting there saying to themselves “gee, ya know I’d be happy to give the U $1M in NIL … if they’d just ask me! If they woo’ed me harder! Oh well, guess I won’t give a single dollar and the team I care about will just suffer.”

No such thing

And it has been talked about ad nauseam on here that all the corporate money in the Cities doesn’t mean jack S for NIL. Not a thing

You can’t squeeze blood from a turnip.

There is no NIL to be had. You can’t just make it appear by trying harder.

That’s not at all how it works. Plain proof: Texas A&M is terrible, and they swim in NIL and every other type of donation.

College sports donations come from wealthy individuals who are rabid fans of a team for whatever reason.

You can’t make that out of thin air. They’re either already there or they don’t exist.

There’s no rich alum of the U who watches the football and/ or MBB teams just sitting there saying to themselves “gee, ya know I’d be happy to give the U $1M in NIL … if they’d just ask me! If they woo’ed me harder! Oh well, guess I won’t give a single dollar and the team I care about will just suffer.”

No such thing

Let’s start the NIL sales pitch with the alumni who played- I know the baseball grads did a fabulous job raising funds for the new Siebert years ago, Go ask every Gopher alumni who played NFL football and start from there. There are several current players who are millionaires- I am sure they would help out the program.

I don’t think NIL has a damn thing to do with what we’re seeing this year. Maybe two years from now who knows but not this year.
Bigger deal is free transfer. Lost about 5-6 depth guys.
+ 4-5 injuries. You’re down 11 guys from your two deep.

Minnesota isn’t good enough to be down 11 guys in the two deep

Gophers football had several bad games this season.

After many good seasons.

Perspective.

Unless the alleged play calling is driving people nuts it's an offyear. That is not plural.

First of all, just because you got paid doesn’t mean you have stacks laying around being used as napkins.

As they say: mo money, mo problems.

Maybe a few of them will be able to throw $5k.

Does that move any kind of needle? No.

To move the needle at a program like Minnesota, you need millions.

It really is hopeless. And frankly, it is completely ass broken to fund the system this way.

We need players getting paychecks. Plain and simple.

That’s the only way Minnesota will ever have a chance again. If we can take our $80M and start paying players.

There is no NIL leprechaun for us

First of all, just because you got paid doesn’t mean you have stacks laying around being used as napkins.

As they say: mo money, mo problems.

Maybe a few of them will be able to throw $5k.

Does that move any kind of needle? No.

To move the needle at a program like Minnesota, you need millions.

It really is hopeless. And frankly, it is completely ass broken to fund the system this way.

We need players getting paychecks. Plain and simple.

That’s the only way Minnesota will ever have a chance again. If we can take our $80M and start paying players.

There is no NIL leprechaun for us
According to Wikipedia "Lucky Charms" are made right here in Minneapolis.

We need some magically delicious moolah to go with our milk and cereal.

Let’s start the NIL sales pitch with the alumni who played- I know the baseball grads did a fabulous job raising funds for the new Siebert years ago, Go ask every Gopher alumni who played NFL football and start from there. There are several current players who are millionaires- I am sure they would help out the program.
If they aren’t rowing the boat then they won’t.

And it has been talked about ad nauseam on here that all the corporate money in the Cities doesn’t mean jack S for NIL. Not a thing
Because all the Academics are putting on contribution pressure due to the "unfair" Nature of NIL rewarding only College Athletes.

If Coyle's job should be on the line it should be for hiring CBJ. It should have nothing to do with Fleck.

We've been better under Fleck than at anytime in the last 40 years. We've never been worse than we are under CBJ. That said, it won't be on the line for Ben because I don't think it was his choice.

Bigger deal is free transfer. Lost about 5-6 depth guys.
+ 4-5 injuries. You’re down 11 guys from your two deep.

Minnesota isn’t good enough to be down 11 guys in the two deep
We've probably added more guys to our 2 deeps than we've lost over the last few years. Maybe not, but it's close.

Because the academics are putting on contribution pressure?

… What? Honestly don’t even know what that means.

“Academics” apply for research grants that are awarded by government agencies.

We've probably added more guys to our 2 deeps than we've lost over the last few years. Maybe not, but it's close.
For sure. But specifically this year and quality at positions of need. It’s glaring

Well, you probably could figure out without too much difficulty who the 85 scholarship guys were the past few years (non covid), and literally see the size of each position room.

I’m guessing it’s roughly stable year to year, in terms of raw numbers.

But obviously a body is not just a body.

Well, you probably could figure out without too much difficulty who the 85 scholarship guys were the past few years (non covid), and literally see the size of each position room.

I’m guessing it’s roughly stable year to year.

But obviously a body is not just a body.
The team I would guess uses 85/85 scholarships each year

So - is the AD responsible for generating NIL money?

look, I know the rules around NIL are really fuzzy - but as I understand the rules, NIL does not come from the school. NIL comes from outside the school.

Fleck or Coyle can encourage people to donate to Dinkytown Athletes, but I don't know if they are allowed to directly solicit donations - as in Fleck meets Rich Dude and says "please give money to our NIL fund." technically, coaches are not even supposed to talk about NIL with recruits - at least not make specific promises.

I realize that some schools may bend or ignore the rules. but MN - for better or worse - is a school that at least gives the impression of trying to play by the rules.

I am not a Coyle fan - mainly for his lack of communication skills and weak public persona. but I don't know if it's fair to hang NIL on him.

So - is the AD responsible for generating NIL money?

look, I know the rules around NIL are really fuzzy - but as I understand the rules, NIL does not come from the school. NIL comes from outside the school.

Fleck or Coyle can encourage people to donate to Dinkytown Athletes, but I don't know if they are allowed to directly solicit donations - as in Fleck meets Rich Dude and says "please give money to our NIL fund." technically, coaches are not even supposed to talk about NIL with recruits - at least not make specific promises.

I realize that some schools may bend or ignore the rules. but MN - for better or worse - is a school that at least gives the impression of trying to play by the rules.

I am not a Coyle fan - mainly for his lack of communication skills and weak public persona. but I don't know if it's fair to hang NIL on him.
It’s 100 percent Coyle’s job to lead all things related to NIL generation. I don’t know where the false narrative on that started.

Top Bottom