Mark Coyle in response to is Gophers Men's basketball HC Ben Johnson's job safe (Video)

I'm so sick of the Pikiell comparisons like we should be patient with Johnson because Pikiell got better.

A. Rutgers is an OK program right now. They aren't that good. They play hard and have had a mediocre level of success (which is an improvement for them). I would hope our aspirations are higher than reaching current Rutgers levels. Pitino was already at or above their level anyway, and we fired him.

B. Even in what is a good year for Rutgers, with their season on the line, who did they just lose to? A 1-16 Minnesota team...

We can do a lot better than Pikiell and Rutgers.
Beyond that, for every Pikiell there are 10 coaches who won 3 games or less than year two and got fired by the end of year 3.

Beyond that, for every Pikiell there are 10 coaches who won 3 games or less than year two and got fired by the end of year 3.
Maybe. I'd imagine more get 4 years than 3.

That's a terrible response by Coyle- unless he plans on firing Ben. I think that would be a mistake at this moment. I think Ben and his younger players need another year. If he plans on keeping Ben, he should have said great things about Ben and that he is making progress despite a tough year. An ADs job should be to be all in with a coach until the moment he fires him.

Does anyone know what the "5 pillars" are at the U?

Winning is not one of the 5 pillars

Not as much with TV money.
That's idiotic. Of course it matters. Immensely.

Men's basketball is supposed to generate revenue for the athletic department. Other.schools get the TV money too, AND revenue from butts in seats. You're behind other schools if they're getting X dollars more by selling tickets, hot dogs, and t shirts. You don't think shitty teams hurt sales??

And As mentioned, the impression given by playing in a morgue is huge, to everyone... including the people paying to advertise, which hurts revenue.

And thats not even considering the impression on recruits, current players, and transfers. And, by the way, the impression on people making financial decisions regarding funding NIL programs.

That's idiotic. Of course it matters. Immensely.

Men's basketball is supposed to generate revenue for the athletic department. Other.schools get the TV money too, AND revenue from butts in seats. You're behind other schools if they're getting X dollars more by selling tickets, hot dogs, and t shirts. You don't think shitty teams hurt sales??

And As mentioned, the impression given by playing in a morgue is huge, to everyone... including the people paying to advertise, which hurts revenue.

And thats not even considering the impression on recruits, current players, and transfers. And, by the way, the impression on people making financial decisions regarding funding NIL programs.
Yup, to your last sentence.

And 84 whites on about Mn and nil.

Well, if the powers-that-be want more people at the games, they could announce a roll-back or moratorium in ticket prices and seat donations. a lot of people think the cost of attending the games is too high in comparison to the entertainment value being offered - especially considering the age of the arena and the relative lack of amenities.

have some cheaper tickets - market them to younger fans, families, high school kids, etc. If tickets to a Gopher game were more in line with - say - tickets to a movie - then more people might decide to attend a game.

Well, if the powers-that-be want more people at the games, they could announce a roll-back or moratorium in ticket prices and seat donations. a lot of people think the cost of attending the games is too high in comparison to the entertainment value being offered - especially considering the age of the arena and the relative lack of amenities.

have some cheaper tickets - market them to younger fans, families, high school kids, etc. If tickets to a Gopher game were more in line with - say - tickets to a movie - then more people might decide to attend a game.
Good post. Fill the arena at all costs. Good atmosphere can help performance both on the floor and recruiting.

People who say Coyle needs to give Ben a third year - why? If as the AD, the leader of the organization, you already feel his performance demonstrates he is not the long-term answer, it is your responsibility to make a change. If you don't believe that things are going to improve, you can't let a program continue to dig an even deeper hole.

I don't know what Coyle believes, but there is not magic, or a requirement, to give a coach a third year. A third year should be earned based on the belief a foundation is being set and you believe improvement is likely. I'm not calling for a change, just find this idea that a third year is a no-brainer simply isn't true.

Good post. Fill the arena at all costs. Good atmosphere can help performance both on the floor and recruiting.
The tickets could be free and it wouldn’t fill up right now (tonight’s game is an outlier - buck the fadgers!)

Top Bottom