Marcus: Sources said it's possible Pitino will interview for the New Mexico coaching opening this weekend.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In Pitino's contract, it also states that to collect his buyout, he's required to lessen the university's payment obligations by trying to obtain comparable employment as soon as possible. If he leaves there is no buyout, and sources said it's possible Pitino will interview for the New Mexico coaching opening this weekend.

But all that could depend on Coyle's intentions.

"If he gives me some bad news," Pitino said Thursday, "that doesn't mean I'm going to flip a desk or anything. Life goes on. I respect authority. I respect tough decisions. I don't worry about life being fair or not. I try to pour my heart and soul into it."

Go Gophers!!

I can't imagine him getting the New Mexico job, but what's interesting to me is the way this is worded makes it seem like there is some offset language in Pitino's contract? If that is correct, then how were people ever even discussing $1.75 million (which is miniscule in high major revenue sports terms) in the first place?

At Indiana, the offset language in Milller's contract would save them money on the buyout regardless of if Archie were to take another job on the court or in the media. If Pitino's contract has similar wording, it's likely the U can knock $500 K or so off that payment.

If he actually gets another head coaching job, then I've never seen a man get so far riding on his father's last name before in sports history. Richard is the pure essence of privilege.
I mean if you were him would have turned down these opportunities? It isn't like he lives in his dads basement and drives a lambo. I always think its funny when people say things like "Imagine being Joe Mauer and collecting that money every year" because SOMEONE OFFERED IT TO HIM AND HE TOOK IT. It isn't like Pitino raped and pillaged to get the Gopher job. He was asked to interview. He interviewed. He was offered the job. He accepted.

per Marcus:

In Pitino's contract, it also states that to collect his buyout, he's required to lessen the university's payment obligations by trying to obtain comparable employment as soon as possible. If he leaves there is no buyout, and sources said it's possible Pitino will interview for the New Mexico coaching opening this weekend.

But all that could depend on Coyle's intentions.

"If he gives me some bad news," Pitino said Thursday, "that doesn't mean I'm going to flip a desk or anything. Life goes on. I respect authority. I respect tough decisions. I don't worry about life being fair or not. I try to pour my heart and soul into it."

Go Gophers!!

Yes, these contracts typically have mitigation provisions like that but I suspect zealous legal efforts against the fired coach to mitigate the buyout to the extent possible are rare. My guess is that Coyle agrees to pay the buyout and any mitigation will come after.

Surely you remember Bo Pelini who was fired as Nebraska's football coach after the 2014 season. His total severance package was something like $7.9 million to be paid over 51 months. Pelini had a good enough tenure at Nebraska that he likely could have landed another DI - FBS job but took a job at DI - FCS Youngstown State instead for a little over $200,000 per year. That reduced Nebraska's payout obligation but only down to about $6.54 million. He stayed at Youngstown for about the whole payout period before taking a job as defensive coordinator for LSU.

If he actually gets another head coaching job, then I've never seen a man get so far riding on his father's last name before in sports history. Richard is the pure essence of privilege.

Well, remember, there are over 350 D1 basketball schools. Some of them have not tasted much success in a long time and some others have kept coaches with undistinguished records for surprisingly long periods of time. For example, Lafayette of the Patriot League has had the same coach for 26 years. 16 of those have been losing seasons. Only 3 of those have featured 20+ wins and only one of those three has come this century. Pitino could fit in well there.

Lane Kiffin. And Pitino will 100% get another head coaching job somewhere.
Yes, Pitino will get another HC job.

Just look at the candidates for the New Mexico job according to the local press. Tim Miles is the leading candidate because of his prior success and because he was a HC in the B1G. They dismiss his firing by saying it is very tough to be successful in the B1G.... Pitino had much more shinny spots in the B1G than Miles (won NIT, MN team record wins, B1G coach of the year, etc....). Pitino does have some very deep bottoms (that can be glossy over with excuses), but he has some highlights that can be very attractive to a smaller school.

Why? I’d think there are at least a few bottom-feeding D1 schools that would love the chance to hire a young B1G coach with a winning record, a B1G coach of the year award, NIT championship, a few NBA alums/prospects, a few tournament appearances, and a slew of ranked wins.

His tenure here hasn’t met our expectations for many reasons, but it’s a matter of perspective.

Just look at the candidates for the New Mexico job according to the local press. Tim Miles is the leading candidate because of his prior success and because he was a HC in the B1G. They dismiss his firing by saying it is very tough to be successful in the B1G.... Pitino had much more shinny spots in the B1G than Miles (won NIT, MN team record wins, B1G coach of the year, etc....). Pitino does have some very deep bottoms (that can be glossy over with excuses), but he has some highlights that can be very attractive to a smaller school.
Of course you want to hear your candidates out in the interview process, but if I'm the New Mexico AD, I'm all over Tim Miles. He did a dang good job in Lincoln and everywhere else he's been. Like his student Smith, he loves the game.

If I were hiring for the NM job specifically I would choose Miles, if it were an A10 school maybe Pitino. If it were Minnesota I'd take Miles

I don't agree that Pitino would be a clear favorite over Miles.

Pitino had a slightly better overall winning percentage at Minnesota than Miles did at Nebraska

Miles had a better in-conference winning percentage than Pitino (although it was nothing to write home about)

Miles has had much, much longer track record of coaching and did achieve success at schools prior to Nebraska. He took NDSU into D1 and they played surprisingly well during their early D1 period. At Colorado State he had a five year record of continuous improvement.

If the choice is between those two, It may come down to the interview. If they prefer a brash quipster who is a bit of a smart aleck, they'll go with Miles. If they prefer someone who is smoother, a bit more modest in demeanor, and a bit more professional, they'll go with Pitino.

Finally, Miles has had two years of sitting out where he has had time for reflection. It's sort of like the old conventional wisdom about dating: you don't want to date someone who is fresh from a bad breakup.

Take this FWIW, but I've found this to be a pretty decent source of info.

Good landing spot for him. It would have been near impossible to get a power 6 job after the miserable failure here. That conference record is in the bottom 8% in Big 10 history for coaches with 8 years. Happy for him that he can continue to do what he likes.

Theres been alot of steam behind Pitino to New Mexico for a couple weeks. Id be surprised if it didnt happen. Ive heard Miles is gonna get a different job.

Take this FWIW, but I've found this to be a pretty decent source of info.

coaching changes has been right before but they throw alot of shit out there

Last edited:

Good landing spot for him. It would have been near impossible to get a power 6 job after the miserable failure here. That conference record is in the bottom 8% in Big 10 history for coaches with 8 years. Happy for him that he can continue to do what he likes.
Thank you for your perspective. GH really had no idea you thought of RP as a miserable failure at MN and his conference record. Without you, BADGER, GH would be information less.

NM had a lot of success taking Alford from Iowa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Alford#Head_coaching_record

Then Nevada grabbed him after he was fired from UCLA.

He actually wasn't that bad at Iowa but he followed the most continuously successful period in Iowa history: 1979 to the late nineties. Timing is very important. Iowa fans found out quickly that they could do far worse than Alford after suffering through Todd Lickliter's awful three years.

Alford has had at least reasonable success everywhere he has gone. In 26 years of coaching he has had only 2 losing seasons and 15 seasons with 20 or more wins. At Iowa, he won the Big Ten tournament twice. I think his personality has been more of a problem than his coaching record. At Iowa, he also rubbed people the wrong way for being a little too willing to defend sexual assaulter Pierre Pierce.

coaching changes has been right before but they throw alot of shit out there
To wit, they posted that Coyle has "zeroed in" on Dutcher, but you've been saying to watch Smith, Gates and Medved. Thoughts?

Richard was blessed with the Luck of the Sperm.

I've met many recipients where I live who through no efforts of thier own, had trust funds, significant inheritance, companies bestowed on them as part of their birthright. Not their fault of course, however, it is annoying when they think they hit a triple, but were actually born on third base!

Last edited:

If Pitino lands at New Mexico, you have to take your hat off to Coyle! Not only does he get to “upgrade” our coaching situation, but he allowed Pitino to have a very soft landing. That will reflect very positively on Coyle who quietly handled the situation by letting his coach save face and he saved the University some money. It will be a win/win situation by not going Scorched Earth like so many of you wanted him to do. Coyle knows that he is not able to hire a new coach until their season is over. So he has time to move the pieces of the puzzle around to make it work for everyone.

If Pitino lands at New Mexico, you have to take your hat off to Coyle! Not only does he get to “upgrade” our coaching situation, but he allowed Pitino to have a very soft landing. That will reflect very positively on Coyle who quietly handled the situation by letting his coach save face and he saved the University some money. It will be a win/win situation by not going Scorched Earth like so many of you wanted him to do. Coyle knows that he is not able to hire a new coach until their season is over. So he has time to move the pieces of the puzzle around to make it work for everyone.

Well, if all of that is true, he will deserve praise but I suspect we'll never know the whole story even if those events do happen.

If Pitino gets a new job fresh off of his departure from Minnesota, will he ever actually be formally "fired?" Or will it just be New Mexico "hiring Pitino away" from Minnesota, in the same way that Minnesota "hired Tubby away" from Kentucky? How does the buyout situation work? Would New Mexico have to pay Minnesota to take Pitino off our hands? Would Minnesota, New Mexico, and Pitino all decide that no buyout gets paid to anyone, since New Mexico wants to have Pitino, and Minnesota wants to offload him?

Top Bottom