Marcus on the Gophers so far...

An OK article, anyone that uses Tim Doyle as their quoted "expert" loses my attention pretty fast. Certainly some truth to what he says, but Doyle is a moron.

We might be able to get consistent outside shooting this year from Joseph and Hoffarber, but I see two other big holes. We don't have an active, strong 4 on the active roster- we have two on scholarship though that would really help. It would be nice to have a reliable scoring threat who doesn't need to kill the flow of the entire offense to get his points- Westbrook. Jacob Thomas' ability to work off screens and fill up the hoop from all over the perimeter would have been nice. I'd like to see him here in two or three years if he goes the prep school or JUCO route.

Jacob Thomas' ability to work off screens and fill up the hoop from all over the perimeter would have been nice.

Would have been nice? I don't follow you here. Jacob Thomas is still in HS. Are you saying his abilities in the future would be nice to have now? :confused:

Then so would Cory Joseph's abilities.

Yes, I was referring to the future. Based on opinions of people I trust, he could be a 15+ppg guy. Cory Joseph is a PG, if Jacob Thomas would have been good to go next year, we might not have signed Hollins.

We might be able to get consistent outside shooting this year from Joseph and Hoffarber, but I see two other big holes. We don't have an active, strong 4 on the active roster- we have two on scholarship though that would really help. It would be nice to have a reliable scoring threat who doesn't need to kill the flow of the entire offense to get his points- Westbrook. Jacob Thomas' ability to work off screens and fill up the hoop from all over the perimeter would have been nice. I'd like to see him here in two or three years if he goes the prep school or JUCO route.

Jacob Thomas' ability to get his grades up to qualify to play Div I basketball next year would have been NICER.

Yes, I was referring to the future. Based on opinions of people I trust, he could be a 15+ppg guy. Cory Joseph is a PG, if Jacob Thomas would have been good to go next year, we might not have signed Hollins.

Cory Joseph plays either G position. Hollins is a wing in college, still growing to 6-6 or 6-7.

But your post was regarding this year's team and their shortcomings, and you stated that Thomas' abilities "would have been nice" (past tense). Didn't make sense. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

I agree with FOT, he could have been a nice fit next year but his lack of dedication in the class room cast his lot in that regard.

I still don't think he'll pass the clearing house to play for Dazzle Dan.

Fuller paints a pretty gloomy picture. But he's just saying the facts. He's right, this team is behind in many ways from last year's squad. The only thing I question is the notion that Cobbs was supposed to be an impact scorer. I don't think many people had huge expectations for Cobbs this season. I think we all thought he was going to be decent, but I wouldn't call him a disappointment. He just hasn't earned minutes in practice apparently. There must be something going on that we don't know about. I must say, this has been a tough couple months to be a Gopher fan.

I must say, this has been a tough couple months to be a Gopher fan.
I'm not sure if the last couple of months even make my top ten "tough couple of months to be a Gopher fan" list. It's been strange at times and frustrating, but we still have what could be a very good team on the court and an entire B10 season ahead.

An OK article, anyone that uses Tim Doyle as their quoted "expert" loses my attention pretty fast. Certainly some truth to what he says, but Doyle is a moron.
Well Doyle got it right ... but that's only because he's been reading this board and ripped off what I've been saying for the last year.

Big Ten Network analyst Tim Doyle said not having a consistent outside shooting threat makes Smith's offense stagnant. That's another negative carryover.
"It looks like guys are just standing around," Doyle said. "(Blake) Hoffarber, (Devoe) Joseph and (Lawrence) Westbrook are the X-factors. We know about (the Gophers') length, but they don't really have any guys that can put the ball in the basket from the perimeter. That's why those guys are important. The scouting report is out on Minnesota. You have to make them shoot from the outside."

(For the humor impaired, here's your damn emoticon .... :rolleyes:)

Hollins is listed at 6-4 (not 6-3). Pay no attention to Rivals or Scout, they're clueless.

He's still growing so he may get to 6-6 or 6-7.

Ok, since Scout.com and Rivals.com are clueless, why don't you start up your own world-wide recruiting database and tell everyone what they need to know. Who said Hollins was going to be 6-7? Because if he doesn't grow, he's not going to be a wing.

Ok, since Scout.com and Rivals.com are clueless, why don't you start up your own world-wide recruiting database and tell everyone what they need to know. Who said Hollins was going to be 6-7? Because if he doesn't grow, he's not going to be a wing.

His HS coach said it in the Memphis Commercial Appeal (newspaper).

Rivals and Scout are clueless. Look to your left, then to your right. There they are.

Once again, try to comprehend. Hollins is 6-4 now but still growing. He may get to 6-6 or 6-7 by college, where he'll play on the wing.

So what you're saying is that Tubby Smith recruited a 17 year old 6'3-6'4 prospect knowing he'd grow to 6'6-6'7 at that age? You say he's 6'4, and Lawrence Westbrook is listed at 6'0. Meaning could be 6'1.

If people don't see that the offense is much better this year I'm not sure what team they are watching. We couldn't even blow away the cup cakes last year.

Top Bottom