Marcus on Robbins: "Chances are very high for Robbins to either receive a waiver or be immediately eligible"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Is there any chance Pitino gets a waiver for Liam Robbins to play next season based on the current environment? – Keith Berger (@Krb1max)

A: The chances are very high for Robbins to either receive a waiver or be immediately eligible to play for the Gophers without a waiver next season. Having family on the team helps his waiver situation. But that might not matter, because I’m hearing that the one-time transfer rule to play immediately could pass next month to be ready for the 2020-21 season. Robbins replacing All-America center Daniel Oturu is a tall task. But his shot-blocking presence makes the Gophers a sleeper in the Big Ten. The 7-foot Iowan was rated as high as the No. 1 non-graduate transfer on the market, with high-profile teams such as Duke, Kentucky and Louisville interested after he announced he was leaving Drake.

Go Gophers!!

"I’m hearing that the one-time transfer rule to play immediately could pass next month to be ready for the 2020-21 season"

If this works out, I wonder what the earliest Robbins could officially enroll at Minnesota then and have it count as part of the 2020-21 season. Not until the start of Fall semester?

"I’m hearing that the one-time transfer rule to play immediately could pass next month to be ready for the 2020-21 season"

If this works out, I wonder what the earliest Robbins could officially enroll at Minnesota then and have it count as part of the 2020-21 season. Not until the start of Fall semester?

I think he could enroll in summer classes but they may not be allowed on campus so not much of a rush.

I'm kinda having vuja de on this one since he isn't from here but has relatives on the team. It's the kind of backward logic that seems to make sense to the NCAA.

The argument will be that covid showed him the importance of being around family and if something like that happens again, he knows he will have family around. Many transfers will likely use that argument. I could see the NCAA approving all kinds of things given the situation. Plus, they could approve the one-time thing yet in June and its all good.

I'm kinda having vuja de on this one since he isn't from here but has relatives on the team. It's the kind of backward logic that seems to make sense to the NCAA.

Whether it's authentic concern or not, the being close to family argument in this kind of crisis could have merit. The logic isn't backwards. If disaster hits again and the world is closed, he's better off with his cousin and uncle in town than not. Of course, we all know that this could be an excuse to make the basketball move he wants to make, and likely is, but it doesn't take away that the argument could be legitimate.

Pretty much all waivers are given unless the other school doesn’t support it. That’s why Carr’s wasn’t. If Drake doesn’t oppose than I doubt Robbins won’t get one.

I believe he may be filing a family hardship waiver? Seems like joining a team with his uncle and cousin is part of that
Not ragging in you per se, because I think others put that idea out there first, but that is such a glib, absurd understanding of the actual language of the rule.

The rule exists so that an athlete can get closer to an (immediate) relative that needs the athlete to come help take care of them. Not the other way around. Eg, the mom got really sick and needs the athlete to come home to take care of her.

The uncle (and cousin) are quite obviously doing just fine.

Pretty much all waivers are given unless the other school doesn’t support it. That’s why Carr’s wasn’t. If Drake doesn’t oppose than I doubt Robbins won’t get one.
It’s not gonna matter. They’re going to approve the free one-time no-sit transfer rule starting immediately.

That’s why so many entered the transfer portal. It was money in the bank.

Not ragging in you per se, because I think others put that idea out there first, but that is such a glib, absurd understanding of the actual language of the rule.

The rule exists so that an athlete can get closer to an (immediate) relative that needs the athlete to come help take care of them. Not the other way around. Eg, the mom got really sick and needs the athlete to come home to take care of her.

The uncle (and cousin) are quite obviously doing just fine.

Let’s be honest they haven’t been following that with much fidelity. I do agree they will most likely do a free transfer this year as well

Why does having family on the team help his waiver situation?
I assume since we are in a once every 100 year Global Pandemic, being close to family is not a bad thing. Whether its approved or not, sounds more legitimate than most arguments. Given the competition for him and that we won out, seems logical that it truly was the factor.

Seems like this will likely all be moot once the vote occurs later this spring, but a desire to be closer to extended family members doesn't equate to hardship in my mind. It's a desire to be closer to extended family members. He also likely wants to move up to better competition.

However, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a mention of COVID-19 in any waiver request will carry some weight. I understand the sentiment expressed in this thread by others.

Marcus Carr has a good chance of getting a waiver they said
If schools (like Pitt and Drake) really do have the ability to "veto" a waiver, I don't see why they wouldn't always veto it. Why would you want underclassmen to think that your school is "easy" to transfer out of, if you don't like it?

Marcus Carr has a good chance of getting a waiver they said

Pitt AD ruined that and it was a joke.

If schools (like Pitt and Drake) really do have the ability to "veto" a waiver, I don't see why they wouldn't always veto it. Why would you want underclassmen to think that your school is "easy" to transfer out of, if you don't like it?

It's kind of unspoken that you just don't veto it unless it was shady (one could argue Drake would be annoyed). Carr's coach was fired and that's what made what the Pitt AD did ridiculous. I think in the case of Robbins, he was going to go to a power 5 school no matter what so Drake won't oppose.

EDIT: the vote on updating the transfer waiver guidelines is still schedule for next month

Last edited:

Pitt AD carries a lot more weight than Drake AD...LOL

Top Bottom