Marcus: Ihnen "could be cleared for full contact this summer"...Fox recovery "longer than expected...still optimistic he could be back next season."

No matter your thoughts on this or past seasons, I think everyone has to agree that the absolute worst thing CBJ has done is his roster management. Lacking positions of need, not filling scholarships, not having the tough conversations with guys, and total misses on guys. This was why I thought an asst coaching change made sense. Bring in a guy who has been a head coach just to help with things like roster management that NO ONE on our staff has.
Honest question, who do you consider total misses? I’m not really sure there are people he has recruited that were not who we thought they were.

Honest question, who do you consider total misses? I’m not really sure there are people he has recruited that were not who we thought they were.
Year 1: Thiam was a total miss. Thompson was a miss, I would put some some blame (not 100%) on CBJ as everyone else left but he kept TT.
Year 2: Henley was a miss, he was awful and already gone. Cooper was a miss as well as Samuels.

Few things to add. A "miss" isn't just the guys we have, it's the ones we tried for and didn't get. If a KU/ Duke miss on a kid who they project as their 8th man, is hard to see that as they have a loaded top 7. We have known injuries, and a lack of talent, if we miss in that kid you notice it IE Curry on 0.5 good knees playing 20+ min a night. Next, just because "they are what we thought they were" doesn't mean it's not a miss. Luke Loewe is a fine player, hes not a starting B1G guard, which is what he was here. Lastly, a team has 13 scholarships (wait, does CBJ know that?!?!). Leaving 1-2 open, having 1-2 injured and missing on 1-2 suddenly puts you at 25-40% of your roster being total 0s. Yes you will never bat 100% on recruiting but with limited numbers you can't consistently leave that% of your roster as complete nothingness.

Year 1: Thiam was a total miss. Thompson was a miss, I would put some some blame (not 100%) on CBJ as everyone else left but he kept TT.
Year 2: Henley was a miss, he was awful and already gone. Cooper was a miss as well as Samuels.

Few things to add. A "miss" isn't just the guys we have, it's the ones we tried for and didn't get. If a KU/ Duke miss on a kid who they project as their 8th man, is hard to see that as they have a loaded top 7. We have known injuries, and a lack of talent, if we miss in that kid you notice it IE Curry on 0.5 good knees playing 20+ min a night. Next, just because "they are what we thought they were" doesn't mean it's not a miss. Luke Loewe is a fine player, hes not a starting B1G guard, which is what he was here. Lastly, a team has 13 scholarships (wait, does CBJ know that?!?!). Leaving 1-2 open, having 1-2 injured and missing on 1-2 suddenly puts you at 25-40% of your roster being total 0s. Yes you will never bat 100% on recruiting but with limited numbers you can't consistently leave that% of your roster as complete nothingness.
Great post!

Top Bottom