Marcus Fuller on Royce/Tubby

Reserve

Reaction score
Well at least Marcus gave us more than a Twitter message..

University of Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said the reason Gophers freshman Royce White posted a YouTube video this week was probably to let out his frustration over not playing so far this season.

"He loves playing," Smith said this morning of the video entitled "Royce White documentary preview," which posted at 3 a.m. Thursday and shows the forward practicing with friends on a basketball court and lifting weights. "This is the first time he really in his scholastic career (hasn't played). His expectations are pretty high. I can see (that). But we try to let our players know that the wheels of justice turn very slowly. You have to be patient. Hopefully, he won't get too frustrated and (will) continue to do the things he has to do to get back on the team.

"At this point in time, it really hasn't changed. I'm hoping we can get things resolved. I (was) hoping it would be resolved by now, but that's not the case."

White, the Big Ten Conference's top-rated recruit, has been suspended indefinitely since last month. He pleaded guilty during a Dec. 2 trial for misdemeanor charges of shoplifting and fifth-degree assault stemming from an Oct. 13 incident at Macy's at the Mall of America. White is also a possible suspect in a campus theft case, but hasn't been arrested or charged.

I have to say enough of this laptop horsesh-t.

Two months?!?

There are no wheels of justice that turn that slowly over something that was returned.

There are no wheels of justice that turn that slowly over something that was returned.

I can't imagine there are many wheels that don't turn quickly for five star athletes. Like it or not, these kids usually go to the head of most lines.

Seems like Tubby wants him back. That whole episode last month (or whenever it was) where the rumors swirled about Royce getting kicked out of school and a press conference, etc are weird. There is something off about this whole story.....

Sounds like Tubby will let Royce back on the team ASAP, which is good news. The U needs to end this laptop debacle. If they don't have the goods, then they need to close it as unsolved. Otherwise, this is ridiculous.

Sounds like Tubby will let Royce back on the team ASAP, which is good news. The U needs to end this laptop debacle. If they don't have the goods, then they need to close it as unsolved. Otherwise, this is ridiculous.

I wonder if this was Kentucky and involved John Wall, would this case still be open after 2 months?

Seems like Tubby wants him back. That whole episode last month (or whenever it was) where the rumors swirled about Royce getting kicked out of school and a press conference, etc are weird. There is something off about this whole story.....

Not to bash 'the media' since I have been defending them on the football board, but I have the feeling that whole episode may have been Fox 9 taking an unfounded rumor and running with it. With all other outlets then free to cite Fox 9. The standards of two sources for all stories is slipping though some do still uphold it.

How does anything take two months? Seriously, what could possibly be going on that couldn't be figured out in a couple of weeks? Snails and sloths are on the case I guess.

I have to say enough of this laptop horsesh-t.

Two months?!?

I agree - everyone could be a "possible suspect". Wth is taking so long?

How does anything take two months? Seriously, what could possibly be going on that couldn't be figured out in a couple of weeks? Snails and sloths are on the case I guess.

call me a conspiracy-nut, but don't be surprised if the very "sloth-like" approach on closing this “case” by the UMPD (laptop was returned within a day or two yet the UMPD still refuses to name an actual suspect (if they even can), have not levied charges on anyone, refused royce white's offer to take a lie-detector test) is completely intentional and perhaps even a bit out of spite towards royce and his actions towards a fellow "member of justice". i could see them not being "above that". just sayin'.

to the umpd defenders.....have at me

call me a conspiracy-nut, but don't be surprised if the very "sloth-like" approach on closing this “case” by the UMPD (laptop was returned within a day or two yet the UMPD still refuses to name an actual suspect (if they even can), have not levied charges on anyone, refused royce white's offer to take a lie-detector test) is completely intentional and perhaps even a bit out of spite towards royce and his actions towards a fellow "member of justice". i could see them not being "above that". just sayin'.

to the umpd defenders.....have at me

+1 UMPD sucks.

Are you guys saying that the UMPD is a collection of Barney Fifes?

You guys are all clueless. The UMPD knew within a week or two after it happened everything that they are ever going to find out about the laptop theft. If Royce White had done nothing wrong the U would have announced it weeks ago. Since the U has not made any any public announcement, the only possible conclusion is that White was implicated in some way, or violated some rule by even being in the dorm.

The only thing that remains to be determined is what White's punishment is going to be. There are procedures that the Administration is required to follow before a final determination can be made. The reason it has taken so long is that the MOA theft and assault case had to be finalized first before the U could proceed with their disciplinary procedures against White. It is a safe bet that White will not wear a Gopher basketball uniform at Williams Arena this year. Maturi has already said as much.

My take on the situation is that Royce broke a lot of Tubby's team rules in the fall semester (which would include the law and University rules), and he is getting the works for it. I would presume that Tubby feels the only way to get through to him is to show who pulls the strings in this situation. To bench his top recruit at a needed position shows that Tubby is indeed a strong and good man, and is the perfect fit for us at the U.

If Royce continues to behave, which by Tubby's statements it appears he has begun to do, sounds like he might be back soon. I'm sure he will be on a very short leash for a fair while, though.

Not to bash 'the media' since I have been defending them on the football board, but I have the feeling that whole episode may have been Fox 9 taking an unfounded rumor and running with it. With all other outlets then free to cite Fox 9. The standards of two sources for all stories is slipping though some do still uphold it.

Well, the whole Fox corporation has never really concerned itself with "truth", much...so long as what they do attracts viewers, Fox really has no morals.

That said, I highly doubt Tubby is suspending Royce simply off of "rumors". I don't think this situation is about laptop theft - seems more like an attempt to straighten a kid up who seems to be trending down the wrong path early in his career; before that kid really gets into a big mess. Seems that Tubby is trying to save Royce's life. Simple slaps on the wrist are not going to get the real message across - Royce has been through wrist slaps before and obviously the message never sunk in. Sometimes it takes a little more. There is a fine line between not doing enough and going too far. I totally trust that Tubby knows what he's doing.

IIRC, Tyler (White's attorney) indicated he was unwilling to have White meet with the UMPD investigators. Does anyone know whether the investigators have interviewed White? If not, it's not unusual for the law enforcement/prosecution process to get further bogged down and leave the case as open. And I suspect that if the case is still left as open, Tubby's going to defer a decision.

Top Bottom