Marcus Fuller: Gray still confident as a QB; MN wasted his freshman year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gray still confident as a QB; my spring thoughts
By Marcus Fuller

After Saturday's spring game, I asked sophomore quarterback MarQueis Gray to evaluate his play after 15 practices over the last month.

"I don't know," said Gray, who went 4 of 7 for 66 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the spring game. "I think I became a better quarterback than I was last year. I couldn't really give myself a grade, because I don't want to sound to overboard with it."

It was the last chance for Gray and senior Adam Weber to prove they should be the starter. Weber was more impressive going 8 of 20 for 144 yards, but all of his yards came in the first half. Weber had a 56-yard pass to Troy Stoudermire and a 35-yard pass to McKnight in the first quarter.

"Hopefully, it's going to be hard for the coaches (to decide)," Gray said. "I think I had a great spring, so it's up to the coaches now. (If Weber is named the starter) I'm still going to compete, because I'm only one snap away from being the quarterback. I still have to study my playbook to be the leader of this offense."

-- I don't think there's any question Weber will be the starter. But the harder decision for Gophers coach Tim Brewster and offensive coordinator Jeff Horton will be about Weber's backup this year.

Redshirt freshman Moses Alipate was 2 of 4 for 14 yards Saturday. Even with limited reps this spring, Alipate has looked like a better pure passer than Gray. But I don't think Alipate has earned the No. 2 quarterback spot.

Gray definitely has earned that distinction to this point. That means something considering he wasn't able to benefit from a redshirt year like Weber and Alipate did. He might be better off in a spread offense, but Gray should get a chance to prove himself if Weber gets hurt this year.

I think the Gophers owe him that. He sat out a year to get the ACT score he needed to qualify. He stayed loyal to the Gophers and returned. Minnesota wasted his true freshman season by pretty much giving him only one or two plays at a time, even with Weber struggling. Gray should have replaced Weber or at least have been able to run the offense for a half or for an entire series when it counted last year. But that didn't happen.

-- Weber hasn't missed a game in three years, so I don't think his backup will see playing time this season, unless it's garbage time (and I'm not sure the Gophers will blow anybody out).

Brewster said he didn't want to run two different offenses this season, meaning a special package for Gray. So, Gray will be used at wide receiver and in other areas besides quarterback in order to help the team. Alipate is only a quarterback, so he will just have to wait patiently until he likely gets a shot to compete with Gray for the starting spot in 2011.

-- If Weber gets hurt, then Gray should be given at least a couple of games to get comfortable. If he really looks good, then Gopher fans will remember how excited they were when he signed here two years ago. If Gray looks pretty bad, then maybe it makes sense then to give Alipate a chance.

-- I think Gray should be used sparingly as a receiver this year, unless he totally switches positions. I would mostly use him in the red zone or at the goal line for jump ball throws. Otherwise, Gray should just concentrate on growing more as a quarterback. He could still have two productive years as a starter if he keeps developing his football mind.

-- There are enough receivers and pass-catching tight ends on the roster to provide targets for Weber, especially with freshman receiver Marquise Hill and junior college tight end Tiree Eure joining the team this year. You don't need too many receivers to be an effective pro-style offense. Gray can help, but he's not the answer at receiver. It's about time that Stoudermire, McKnight, Brandon Green and Hayo Carpenter become the consistent playmakers they were expected to be.

-- The defense actually intrigues me for next season, especially after I watched them dominate for the most part in the spring game. There doesn't seem to be any All-Big Ten caliber players. But the size of the defensive line should make it hard for opposing teams to run. I've written about the big tackles like Jewhan Edwards, Brandon Kirksey and Sean Ferguson. But I really like the speed of redshirt freshmen ends Matt Garin, Ra'Shede Hageman and Kendall Gregory-McGhee. They're young and need to work on improving their pass rushing technique, but at least one of them should become a star in time. My money is on Garin. But Hageman obviously has the most potential.

-- The safety position should also be better this year with more depth. I was impressed with safeties Kenny Watkins and Christyn Lewis, who replaced Kyle Theret and Kim Royston. Lewis, who looks pretty thin, delivered a big hit on McKnight to force a dropped pass Saturday. Watkins is also a pretty hard hitter, and he should be a good backup to Theret when he returns.

Brewster expects junior college transfer Herschel Thornton to compete for playing time at free safety in the fall, so the Gophers should be able to recover from losing Royston.

-- Linebacker really drops off from last year though. Sophomore Mike Rallis could lead the team in tackles next season if he performs like he did this spring. Redshirt freshmen Sam Maresh and Spencer Reeves made some nice plays Saturday. But sophomore Keanon Cooper really needs to raise his level of play and perform like he did at times last year. Cooper had an interception on Gray, but he hasn't separated himself from Aaron Hill at weakside linebacker. That's a good and bad sign, considering Hill didn't even play last season.

I'm not sure what Brewster will do with junior Gary Tinsley, who was arrested for suspicion of fleeing police and driving while intoxicated. But the Gophers need Tinsley to play this year.

-- The defensive position that concerns me the most is cornerback. I think sophomore Michael Carter will end up becoming an all-league player one day. Senior Ryan Collado is also as tough as anyone on the team. But there isn't much talent and depth there based on what I've seen this spring. Brewster can only hope that some of his newcomers like Dwight Tillman, Tyrone Bouie and Brock Vereen arrive ready to contribute.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/gray-confident-in-his-ability.html

Go Gophers!!

I have to disagree on one point after watching a couple practices and the spring game. There is a corner that has impressed, and that is Kyle Henderson. I think he is better than Collado now. The rest is pretty accurate. But I'm not sure Watkins and Lewis are not better than Royston and Theret now. After the spring game I would have last yrs. starters as # 2.

I have to disagree on one point after watching a couple practices and the spring game. There is a corner that has impressed, and that is Kyle Henderson. I think he is better than Collado now. The rest is pretty accurate. But I'm not sure Watkins and Lewis are not better than Royston and Theret now. After the spring game I would have last yrs. starters as # 2.

This is an interesting post. I too have watched three scrimmages and was intrigued by a player I had not ever heard anything about, eventhough he was always playing with the 2's. #34 Kyle Henderson looks like he can play. According to the spring game stats he led the secondary in pass break ups. I was told he's been in the 2 deeps all spring, but no one has even mentioned his name. Someone who is involved with he program told me he's there, not because of any injuries or other player issues. He played his way there. I found out that he actually had the best measurables of all the returning secondary when they tested during the pro day. The question is whether JC trasnsfer D. Tillman or one of the freshman can beat him out for the 2 deep spot. I also heard he actually knocked on the door and asked if he could play because he's always wanted to be a gopher. They had no idea who he was.... Gotta love that!!

I believe you are partially right. However, I will point out that the loss of Royston is a significant blow to the secondary no matter how you slice it. He was the defensive leader and we miss him every snap until he, hopefully, returns; Royston gave us a level of experience and skill that gave the D Coordinator so many options, we were going to give QBs in the Big Ten the flux trying to figure out what we throw at them coverage-wise. Now regarding Theret, he brings experience as well, BUT he was a liability in many situations and will be this fall as well.[U] Watkins is almost unquestionably better even as a redshirt freshman. His coverage skills are far superior, his speed is definitely superior and the young man smacks folks around. Finally, Watkins seems to exude confidence bringing great chemistry to the secondary. Lewis is another upgrade I would say but he will likely play more at the CB position once the huge safety Thornton arrives. Coach Brewster said he will play FS. Frankly, if Theret starts, THAT WILL BE PROOF POSITIVE THAT THE BEST PLAYER IS NOT ON THE FIELD. AND WE ALL WILL KNOW IT!

The safety position should also be better this year with more depth. I was impressed with safeties Kenny Watkins and Christyn Lewis, who replaced Kyle Theret and Kim Royston. Lewis, who looks pretty thin, delivered a big hit on McKnight to force a dropped pass Saturday. Watkins is also a pretty hard hitter, and he should be a good backup to Theret when he returns.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/gray-confident-in-his-ability.html

Go Gophers!!

Why do you believe Theret will win the starting position? Because he started last year? Just asking.

Fuller is an idiot if he thinks Gray is even an average passer at this point.

I believe you are partially right. However, I will point out that the loss of Royston is a significant blow to the secondary no matter how you slice it. He was the defensive leader and we miss him every snap until he, hopefully, returns; Royston gave us a level of experience and skill that gave the D Coordinator so many options, we were going to give QBs in the Big Ten the flux trying to figure out what we throw at them coverage-wise. Now regarding Theret, he brings experience as well, BUT he was a liability in many situations and will be this fall as well.[U] Watkins is almost unquestionably better even as a redshirt freshman. His coverage skills are far superior, his speed is definitely superior and the young man smacks folks around. Finally, Watkins seems to exude confidence bringing great chemistry to the secondary. Lewis is another upgrade I would say but he will likely play more at the CB position once the huge safety Thornton arrives. Coach Brewster said he will play FS. Frankly, if Theret starts, THAT WILL BE PROOF POSITIVE THAT THE BEST PLAYER IS NOT ON THE FIELD. AND WE ALL WILL KNOW IT!

", I will point out that the loss of Royston is a significant blow to the secondary no matter how you slice it."

This part I agree with. IMO Part of Mr. Roystons problems last season, is that he was forced into covering for others. I think that his return will be huge if he is able to focus on his assignment.

Some of Fuller's arguments make me question how much college football he has watched in his life.

He talks about us wasting Gray's freshman season because he only got to play sparingly. How often do most freshman QB get to play? I'd imagine the average is significantly less than Gray.

He also talks about that Gray "wouldn't be an answer at WR" but goes on to discuss how Hayo needs to step up (like that would be an answer). I'm not pushing the Gray to WR move, but I know that if Gray moved to WR he would be considerably better than Hayo the moment he made the switch.

He also talked about how unimpressed he was with the linebackers in the same breath that he talked about the D dominating. Well, if the D dominated, and Rallis was the best player on the field, I don't think the LB corp should look so discouraging.

", I will point out that the loss of Royston is a significant blow to the secondary no matter how you slice it."

This part I agree with. IMO Part of Mr. Roystons problems last season, is that he was forced into covering for others. I think that his return will be huge if he is able to focus on his assignment.

Who do you believe he was forced to cover for last season?

Why does Theret have to be bad in an argument for Roysten to be good, since they play different positons?

Why does Theret have to be bad in an argument for Roysten to be good, since they play different positons?

First of all, the idea is to get two safeties back there playing at a high level. All I am saying is that the facts (gamefilm), as I see them reveal that Mr Theret struggled against high end opponents. Secondly, the safety positions although different are quite interchangeable on the most part.

If I state my opinions in bold, it makes them more correct and awesome.

Who do you believe he was forced to cover for last season?

At times, it appeared to me that he was covering huge chunks of real estate. Like an assignment was blown and as safety he had to race over there to cover when he was already covering someone else.

First of all, the idea is to get two safeties back there playing at a high level. All I am saying is that the facts (gamefilm), as I see them reveal that Mr Theret struggled against high end opponents. Secondly, the safety positions although different are quite interchangeable on the most part.

Game film also shows that Theret calls most of the adjustments on the field for the secondary including covering for people who have blown their assignments.

However I have a hard time judging our safeties in general since our leading sack artist had 3 sacks last year. Both safeties and corners for that matter were put in positions to cover more ground longer then we would like in a defense. Nobody can doubt Theret's instincts to be around where the ball is. The more pressure we can create the more Theret's instincts will shine as he will be able to get in position as the QB will have to hurry his progression.

In addition I have no idea how much of Roysten's cover ability (one of his strengths) will be affected by his broken leg, or his improved ability to put his nose in on a tackle.

I like both safeties going into this year, mainly b/c I have hope that we will get more pressure from our d-line. More pressure from our D-Line will make blitzes from Cooper/Rallis more effective.

Finally I counter your bold, with ... (dots)

Game film also shows that Theret calls most of the adjustments on the field for the secondary including covering for people who have blown their assignments.

However I have a hard time judging our safeties in general since our leading sack artist had 3 sacks last year. Both safeties and corners for that matter were put in positions to cover more ground longer then we would like in a defense. Nobody can doubt Theret's instincts to be around where the ball is. The more pressure we can create the more Theret's instincts will shine as he will be able to get in position as the QB will have to hurry his progression.

In addition I have no idea how much of Roysten's cover ability (one of his strengths) will be affected by his broken leg, or his improved ability to put his nose in on a tackle.

I like both safeties going into this year, mainly b/c I have hope that we will get more pressure from our d-line. More pressure from our D-Line will make blitzes from Cooper/Rallis more effective.

Finally I counter your bold, with ... (dots)

Well, you seem to be wishing for a lot of things to happen to help your favored player, Theret, to look better and that is fine. But I support the team and if a player is a liability and others are better, I want the better players to be put on the field. We have not gotten any significant pressure on the QBs this spring from the Defensive front or ends, yet the young guys in the secondary have been very effective shutting down the passing game. You see, speed quickness and athleticism in the secondary is always going to make things better and the young guys just have more of those ingredients than Theret, whom you love so. Regarding your comment that Theret made the calls last year, how do you know that? He obviously did not make them this spring and the D did fine. In fact, the redshirt freshman, Watkins made all the calls including for the Spring Game. Why don't you go on Youtube and check out the Javis Best highlights; your hero Theret is featured therein. Look, I like the kid too, but Watkins is clearly better. All Kyle has on him is experience and I doubt the coaches are going to allow that to prevent them from tapping into his emmense talent to help them win games. Again a bold oppinion deserves bold type:cool:

Top Bottom