Marcus Fuller blog: Gophers likely to run with two-back rotation against Badgers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gophers likely to run with two-back rotation against Badgers
By Marcus Fuller

Gophers freshman running back Donnell Kirkwood showed some potential in his first two games this season, but a hamstring and calf injury will probably keep him sidelined for the second straight game this week against Wisconsin.

Kirkwood was in a protective walking boot Wednesday and missed practice. It's too bad if he can't play Saturday, because it would have been exciting to see Kirkwood and Wisconsin freshman James White, both Florida natives, showcasing the future backfield talent for both teams. White actually received a scholarship offer from Minnesota.

Juniors Duane Bennett and DeLeon Eskridge will most likely carry the rushing load for the Gophers against a physical Badgers defense. But which one of them will be the player that gets a majority of the carries?

"I feel really good about DeLeon and Duane," Brewster said after Wednesday's practice.

But Eskridge is coming off rushing 22 times for 119 yards and a touchdown in last week's 29-28 loss to Northwestern. Bennett, who has two 100-yard games this year, still leads the team with 400 yards rushing.

I think Bennett should get the start. If he isn't having success early, then Eskridge should be allowed to get more carries to get into rhythm. Last season, Eskridge had a solid game with 14 carries for 60 yards in a 31-28 loss against Wisconsin. Bennett had just two carries for 20 yards in the game, but that included a 1-yard touchdown to cut it to a three-point deficit late in the fourth quarter.

Even if Bennett isn't the feature back against Wisconsin, the Gophers have to keep finding ways to involve him in the passing game. There could be some big-play opportunities against Wisconsin if the communication is there between Weber and Bennett, especially on blitzes.

-- I forgot Badgers quarterback Scott Tolzien had a career-long 47-yard run in last year's Border Battle game at TCF Bank Stadium.

I think Gophers quarterback Adam Weber should be used as a runner more often, because he has confidence in his legs. Just as long as he protects the football, Weber should be able to make some plays.

Wisconsin also hasn't seen an athletic player like sophomore MarQueis Gray, but I doubt Brewster will use him at quarterback even for a few plays in the Wildcat formation. Opponents have had an easy time figuring out Minnesota's basic and conservative offense at times. So maybe there will be some tricks similar to last week's halfback touchdown pass from Bennett to tight end Eric Lair.

-- Junior receiver Brandon Green practiced Wednesday. But Brewster said Green still needed more time to recover from a knee injury to be ready to play.

-- Several Gophers players were chatting about the Vikings bringing back All-Pro receiver Randy Moss after a trade with the New England Patriots. Junior receiver Da'Jon McKnight said "of course" when asked if Moss was his favorite NFL player in high school.

"That was my guy," said McKnight, who possesses a Moss-like 40-inch vertical leap.

Before walking out to the practice field, Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi joked that the Gophers were trying to acquire Moss from the Patriots, but the Vikings beat them to it. But why would Brewster want Moss when he has a future first-round pick in Gray?

-- Brewster said he was 90 percent certain that sophomore Mike Rallis wouldn't play Saturday after being diagnosed with an abdominal sprain on Monday. Rallis did participate in part of practice Wednesday, but he is still feeling pain.

-- From watching practice, I think sophomore Ryan Grant will get the start to replace Rallis. But Brewster said redshirt freshman Aaron Hill and Grant would likely split time at strong-side linebacker.

-- Gray hasn't been limited in practice so far this week with plantar fasciitis. He did have to switch his insoles when I watched him Wednesday. Gray appeared to be in pain at times, but he still ran routes pretty well. If he doesn't have an impact Saturday, I don't think the Gophers have a chance to pull off an upset. So that will be something to watch.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/10/gophers-likely-to-run-with-two.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom