Marcus Fuller blog: Brewster says no quarterback change for the Gophers right now

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Brewster says no quarterback change for the Gophers right now
By Marcus Fuller

Despite a fifth straight loss Saturday, 41-23 at Wisconsin, Gophers coach Tim Brewster said he would not make a quarterback change this week.

Brewster talked entering the season about senior quarterback Adam Weber having to lead his team to victory to keep from losing his job to sophomore backup MarQueis Gray.

The Gophers aren't winning, obviously. But...

"If I thought like we would be a better team, have a better chance to win playing MarQueis Gray at quarterback, I would do it in a heartbeat," Brewster said.

Weber completed just 44 percent of his passes against the Badgers, going 11 for 25 for 249 yards. Weber threw three touchdown passes, but two of them were to Da'Jon McKnight when the game was out of reach in the fourth quarter.

I'm certainly not advocating for Gray to replace Weber. But I asked Brewster how he knew Gray wasn't the spark the team needed to win if he hasn't had an opportunity to play at quarterback so far this season.

Gray hasn't been used in the Wildcat formation this season. He didn't even get a chance against Wisconsin when the Gophers faced a 25-point lead with six 1/2 minutes left in the game. Last year, Gray played at the end of a blowout loss at Ohio State and had success.

"I feel good about the play that we're getting from Adam Weber," Brewster said. "And I feel that we're a stronger team right now with MarQueis at receiver and Adam at quarterback. That's a very simple answer."

Again, I asked Brewster if he would feel the same way about the quarterback situation if the team kept losing this season.

"Offensively, we've been pretty darn good," he said. "What we've got to do is stay with the plan offensively and continue to improve on defense."

I gave Brewster a hypothetical situation if Gray were his starting quarterback though. And he said that the Gophers would then likely have to make some adjustments offensively to fit Gray's athletic ability.

Like I said, I believe Weber hasn't played poorly enough overall through six games to be benched. I don't think he will play bad enough this season for that to happen. He's also the most durable and experienced quarterback in the nation, sort of college football's version of Brett Favre in that regard. So Gray probably won't get to start this year because Weber gets injured.

I think the only way Gray starts at quarterback this season is if the Gophers decide to play for next season at some point. They would start getting Gray comfortable with his receivers and with the tweaks to the offense now, which would help him make an easier transition in 2011. But that probably won't happen, because Brewster can't feel certain if he'll be around next season.

-- Teams are starting to key on Gray and are limiting his impact on the game. He has just four catches for 21 yards in the last two games. Brewster said that it should open up other receivers. And he said that Gray had to "be unselfish" and "just take advantage of opportunities that come (his) way when they present themselves."

-- The fact that McKnight is getting better each week makes me believe that he'll be a great go-to receiver for Gray next season, along with tight end Eric Lair. Receiver Bryant Allen also showed some nice things against Wisconsin with two catches for 73 yards, including a 60-yard catch late in the game. Running back Duane Bennett is also a nice pass-catching threat.

-- There was speculation that sophomore defensive end D.L. Wilhite dropped some expletives in the direction of Brewster when he walked off the field angered after back-to-back costly penalties in the third quarter Saturday. Wilhite also bumped senior cornerback Ryan Collado on the way off before that.

But Brewster, who put his hand on Wilhite's arm to settle him down, said that never happened.

"You know what he said, he said, 'Coach I'm trying to get to the passer. I'm trying to make a play'," Brewster said. "He's a wired-up kid. We don't deal with emotionless robots."

-- Brewster said holder Adam Lueck took the blame for kicker Eric Ellestad missing the extra point try against Wisconsin. Brewster was proud to say it was the first PAT missed during his coaching tenure at Minnesota.

-- The Gophers "probably will" wear the white helmets again against Purdue this week, Brewster said. The brand new helmets were his idea to try something different to spark the players last week.

-- Brewster said athletics director Joel Maturi agreed with what he did after the game by showing his frustration for Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema going for a two-point conversion with a 25-point lead at the end of the game.

"I would be less of a man if I didn't stand up for my kids who I would fight to the death for," he said.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/10/brewster-says-no-quarterback-c.html

Go Gophers!!

-- Brewster said holder Adam Lueck took the blame for kicker Eric Ellestad missing the extra point try against Wisconsin. Brewster was proud to say it was the first PAT missed during his coaching tenure at Minnesota.

Other than the two that Joel Monroe missed in 2008, I suppose.

won't start gray when season is obviously lost-delusional

weber gives us the best chance to win-delusional

white helmets to spark a win (intimating that all other things they are doing are just dandy)-delusional

Offensively, we've been pretty darn good-delusional
it just goes on and on!
You can't make this stuff up.

Polite

Logical interpretation of this exchange:

"I gave Brewster a hypothetical situation if Gray were his starting quarterback though. And he said that the Gophers would then likely have to make some adjustments offensively to fit Gray's athletic ability."

Meaning, they would have to change the game plan on offense because Gray can't hit the broad side of the barn with a football.

Meaning, they would have to change the game plan on offense because Gray can't hit the broad side of the barn with a football.

Really? Like Weber has any accuracy whatsoever??? Once in a while the ball finds its way towards the receiver, but certainly not with what anyone should expect out of a 4-year D-1 starter.

-- Brewster was proud to say it was the first PAT missed during his coaching tenure at Minnesota.

Wow. Just wow. Is this what we've been reduced to? Our pride is winning time of possession, scoring last and not missing PAT's? I'm proud to be a Gophers fan Brew! Tremendous.

For whatever reason Adam Weber = 3 and out. Even if the gophs woulda got that 2nd half fumble it would have been 3 n out. it is time for something different.

I know Brewster's optimistic but WOW. Pretty sure he must think we are the other team each week.

Wow. Just wow. Is this what we've been reduced to? Our pride is winning time of possession, scoring last and not missing PAT's?

And, it isn't even true. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Monroe missed two PATs in 2008. So, he's proud of something that isn't even reality.

1) will Gray play after the Gophers lose two more games, thus losing the bowl eligibility enough for Brewster to understand what the rest of us already know?

2) white helmets caused a spark in the time? A highly talented multi-dimensional QB could do that... (see Gray).

1) Brewster is just a moron. WTF were those 'robot' comments? Yeah, some guys are emotional and all but you aren't a 'robot' if you ask about a possible issue on the sideline.

2) He is a really big moron.

3) I'd rather see Alipate than Gray at QB. I still believe Gray would be wise to move to WR full-time. He could be a high NFL pick given his size and fluidity at WR. He would have to be a hell of a passing QB to be picked that high at QB.

"I gave Brewster a hypothetical situation if Gray were his starting quarterback though. And he said that the Gophers would then likely have to make some adjustments offensively to fit Gray's athletic ability."

ya right OGEE!!! weber misses most of his open receivers by overthrowing them the two touchdowns late were just luck on his part and a receiver that could catch

Gray looked pretty accurate against Ohio States backups last year...

I'd rather see Alipate than Gray at QB. I still believe Gray would be wise to move to WR full-time. He could be a high NFL pick given his size and fluidity at WR. He would have to be a hell of a passing QB to be picked that high at QB.

Frankly, I really don't care all that much about how high guys get drafted. Sure, it's a nice side bonus and helps you somewhat in recruiting, but winning helps a hell of a lot more. I don't know whether Gray at QB will help us win more games than Weber has, but it would be very difficult for him to be worse.

Frankly, I really don't care all that much about how high guys get drafted. Sure, it's a nice side bonus and helps you somewhat in recruiting, but winning helps a hell of a lot more. I don't know whether Gray at QB will help us win more games than Weber has, but it would be very difficult for him to be worse.

Well the arguement for keeping Weber at QB is: Would you rather have a good, not great, 5th year senior QB with a dynamic athlete to throw to at WR or a dynamic athlete at QB that's unproven (may be a better QB, but could make costly beginner mistakes) and lose the threat at WR? He can't throw to himself and it's not like he and Weber can just switch positions, so you're basically losing a player by making that move. I'm not saying which is right and which is wrong, but unless Gray is a significant upgrade at QB, all that would be accomplished is losing a great WR.

The current coach only has a future if he wins games now. He believes this gives him the best chance. He is going down, but he is going down his way.

Meaning instead of calling zone stretch out of the I, they call zone read out of the gun. It really is that simple. People think you have to change the entire offense when you switch to a more mobile QB. You don't, you just have to call different plays within the same offense.

Gray isn't better then McKnight...

Better THAN? So?

McKnight + Gray + Lair + Allen > McKnight + Lair + Allen

That's all I'm saying. Gray would be in a more difficult situation than Weber because Weber has Gray to throw to. That doesn't mean he couldn't do better than Weber, but if he's only slightly better, then it makes sense to have Weber in there.

Gray would add a running element, either planned or from scrambling. We don't know how good a passer he is, because he never plays! I think Brew is stubborn and bull-headed and can't admit he's wrong. If Gray went in and won a game for us it would make Brew look like a dunce - he won't permit that. Besides, he thinks Weber is Favre!

It makes 0 sense to start a senior in a lost season.

Yes the season is lost. I would guess Brewster sees the logic in this. If the Purdue game is lost, the chances that a different QB goes in goes up greatly (it is the best chance for a win). If the team loses to Purdue and Penn State, the chances that a new QB starts the Ohio State game is nearly 100% IMO. 2 games left in the Weber era assuming they are both losses. If they win a game then Weber probably starts the whole year (because he has shown he can lead the team to a Big Ten win).

Top Bottom