Marcus Carr to Phoenix Suns for NBA Summer League

60's Guy

Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 4.34.25 PM.pngI would have linked this but there were so many popups it was no fun to try and read.
Carr, could be in a good spot. They need minimum salary guys with their four max contracts and the new salary cap restrictions. Good luck to Marcus!

I think Robbins has NBA skills. I would be very surprised if either Carr or Kalsheur ever made an NBA regular season roster.
I think Carr could find a way to the bottom of a roster simply because he is skilled. If someone can convince him that there is an actual structure involved in the game of basketball, they might have something. He looked more in control with Texas last season, but then all of sudden he would revert into his previous pattern which we saw when he was with the Gophers.

Agree on Robbins. He may never be a big contributor at the NBA-level, but a 7-footer with an outside game who can also defend around the rim has a chance.

"second all-time in minutes played in division 1 history", thanks Richard! Quite an accomplishment none the less, even if having a 5th season of playing time.
The other guys on the gophers must have hated playing with him. Standing around watching a guy play one on five can't be much fun.

The other guys on the gophers must have hated playing with him. Standing around watching a guy play one on five can't be much fun.
It made it really hard for fans to watch. I can say that firsthand. You can’t let the inmates run the asylum.

I don't blame Carr at all for that. Pitino the Younger's offense is basically the same at Pitino the Elder's and it's really point guard centric. Carr has a ton of talent and a good set of skills, but I don't see him as a true point guard.

I think he can play at the next level if he can either sharpen his court awareness and truly play the point or be a "burst" guy off the bench. There are worse players on NBA rosters.

The continued complaints about Carr are quite funny considering he was the best player on a team that went to the elite 8 and was a top 5 ranked team nationally.
And for the 2019-20 Gophers he averaged just short of 7 assists per game and just over 2 turnovers per game shooting 36% from 3. And, he scored 15 ppg and picked up 5 plus rebounds a game but he's not good??
He did this during covid and led the team to 9 Big Ten wins and had them on a run until covid canceled their streak.
Might take Ben four years to get to 9 Big Ten wins....with good fortune he'll get it done in 3 years.
Very pleased Carr was a Gopher!

I've been following the Gophers closely since around 2000. Carr is the best point guard we've had in the last 20+ years by a fairly significant margin. The style of ball he played here was a result of the offense installed by the coach. If you want a reminder of the Pitino offense, you can find Mashburn essentially doing the same thing for New Mexico now.

And for the 2019-20 Gophers he averaged just short of 7 assists per game and just over 2 turnovers per game shooting 36% from 3. And, he scored 15 ppg and picked up 5 plus rebounds a game but he's not good??
He did this during covid and led the team to 9 Big Ten wins and had them on a run until covid canceled their streak.
Might take Ben four years to get to 9 Big Ten wins....with good fortune he'll get it done in 3 years.
Very pleased Carr was a Gopher!
He should have averaged at least seven assists a game. He had the ball in his hands about 90% of the time. Whatever passes there were that led to hoops were coming from him.

Marcus Carr was talented. He just wasn't a team player in a team game.

He should have averaged at least seven assists a game. He had the ball in his hands about 90% of the time. Whatever passes there were that led to hoops were coming from him.

See post #15 - Carr was following the game plan

I have a problem with “he should have averaged 7”. Carr was 2nd in the big ten in assist behind Zavier Simpson, who was far ahead of the pack. Simpson is the only guy in the league that year to reach 7 assists per game (without rounding up).

Oturu’s usage % was 28.8%, which ranked 6th in conference. Carr’s was 24.8%, so more of the offense actually ran through Oturu.

I just think we had two excellent players that year, one slightly above average 3 and D guy in kalscheur, and almost nothing else.

I think Carr could find a way to the bottom of a roster simply because he is skilled. If someone can convince him that there is an actual structure involved in the game of basketball, they might have something. He looked more in control with Texas last season, but then all of sudden he would revert into his previous pattern which we saw when he was with the Gophers.

Agree on Robbins. He may never be a big contributor at the NBA-level, but a 7-footer with an outside game who can also defend around the rim has a chance.
PG is the single most difficult position to stick in the NBA. There are tons of very good colllege PGs that don’t stick. I think Carr will have trouble. He is older and he isn’t typical of an NBA PG - who run the offense, get others involved and are usually just a very steady type of player (Tyus, JMac, etc.). That’s just not Carr’s game. He is a ball dominant scorer and to stick in the NBA with that skill set at PG, you need to be an elite scorer.

He is skilled. He has a chance, but I think he will just go make a ton of money in Europe.

See post #15 - Carr was following the game plan
I agree that it was Pitino's pg dominant offense, run to a greater degree by Carr than Pitino's previous pg's.

In terms of usage rates, it's a classic case of stats versus the eye test. Carr was the most ball dominant pg that I've seen in a gopher uniform in my many years as a fan.

PG is the single most difficult position to stick in the NBA. There are tons of very good colllege PGs that don’t stick. I think Carr will have trouble. He is older and he isn’t typical of an NBA PG - who run the offense, get others involved and are usually just a very steady type of player (Tyus, JMac, etc.). That’s just not Carr’s game. He is a ball dominant scorer and to stick in the NBA with that skill set at PG, you need to be an elite scorer.

He is skilled. He has a chance, but I think he will just go make a ton of money in Europe.
You're likely right. When I think of the Pitino offense (both Elder and Younger), I think of the kind of modified point guard role and the best at it was Russ Smith, who played the position for Elder at Louisville a little over a decade ago and was the best player on the 2013 national championship team. Smith was an All-American and a better player than Carr and he only sniffed the NBA. He's largely been a basketball vagabond (Europe, China, Israel). NBA rosters have expanded and the D-League is more developed now, but I think there are questions as to whether Carr's current skill set will translate.

I agree that it was Pitino's pg dominant offense, run to a greater degree by Carr than Pitino's previous pg's.

In terms of usage rates, it's a classic case of stats versus the eye test. Carr was the most ball dominant pg that I've seen in a gopher uniform in my many years as a fan.
No argument. And as such, I don’t think it happens unless the coach is requesting and encouraging it.
New Mexico starting out undefeated and ranked last year was reminiscent of the same philosophy. Difference was they had/have two guards trading off as the orchestrator.
House got hurt, they lost a handful of last possession games and flamed out.

Carr or anybody is not ThAT ball dominant without the coaches blessing.

Top Bottom