Marcus Carr Appreciation Thread

RogueGopher

Reaction score

Carr has been a joy to watch in his Gopher career. I would love to see a highlight tape of his best performances over the last couple years, had a good number of memorable clutch moments. He'll be missed next year.

I wonder if this year will leave a bad taste in his mouth and decide to return for another year

We've had very few Gophers over the last decade plus that could be described as clutch, but Marcus certainly fit the bill. Wish he could have gotten a chance to make a run in the tournament. I hope he gets a shot and is able to stick in the NBA.

No player more than Marcus Carr has made me feel that, down by a possession or two in the final minute of the game, we still had a chance to win.

I wonder if this year will leave a bad taste in his mouth and decide to return for another year
All I can say is that this season is leaving a bad taste in fans' mouths, and I hope that doesn't affect our memories of Marcus. He's simply had a couple of the best seasons in program history. He's done some amazing things out there. He can do things that other people can't do. He's a big star.

I just wonder what he could of done with a little bit better guidance.

He has been pretty awesome left on his own but I feel like he has left a lot on the plate.

It might be wishful thinking, but I don’t think it’s a given that Carr leaves. I suspect he might even be interested to find out who the new coach is.
This. I don't think that it has been helpful to Carr's NBA prospects to play on a team that collapsed like this. He is certainly not going to be drafted. Another year, under a different coach with a different group of team mates might do him well and help him show off a more team oriented game. His route to the pros is as a facilitator, not as a gunner. He is not a good enough shooter, but in a lot of ways he has NBA skills. Carr has a lot of heart and guts and I love that.

He has been pretty awesome left on his own but I feel like he has left a lot on the plate.

This is an insane take. He has lifted this team to above .500 with 0 consistent help from any other guards. He plays ~40 minutes per game. Guidance isn't the issue. Imagine what he'd do if he had actual shooters to pass to when he is doubled? Is that his fault his teammates suck?

I get that 90% of your recent posts have been shots at Pitino but come on.

This is an insane take. He has lifted this team to above .500 with 0 consistent help from any other guards. He plays ~40 minutes per game. Guidance isn't the issue. Imagine what he'd do if he had actual shooters to pass to when he is doubled? Is that his fault his teammates suck?

I get that 90% of your recent posts have been shots at Pitino but come on.
Lately I have been on Pitino pretty hard. But I was a Pro-Pitino guy for a good 5 or 6 years.

Imagine if he played defense and didn't dribble the ball flat.

Last edited:

We've had very few Gophers over the last decade plus that could be described as clutch, but Marcus certainly fit the bill. Wish he could have gotten a chance to make a run in the tournament. I hope he gets a shot and is able to stick in the NBA.

He's someone who probably won't make the league right away but very well may get a shot a few years down the road.

I'm selfish so I always hope the guys stay but I don't know if there is much more he can do here besides win. With the situation I feel like it might be harder next year than this year to win consistently but we shall see.

If he wants to have a successful year of college basketball he needs to transfer.

Lately I have been on Pitino pretty hard. But I was a Pro-Pitino guy for a good 5 or 6 years.

He is far from the worst defender on the team. You love Mash and he is an inferior defender to Carr

He is far from the worst defender on the team. You love Mash and he is an inferior defender to Carr
I do not love Mash. In fact, there are currently zero Gophers I am head over heals with. Every single one of them has at least one Achilles heel.

Not a complete player in the bunch.

Carr, Robbins, Kalesheur and Johnson come the closest.

pitino has done this with his lead guards since he's been here. i would be very interested to see what he'd do with a different offense

pitino has done this with his lead guards since he's been here. i would be very interested to see what he'd do with a different offense
There could be so much more to Carr's game! Pitino never exploited. Can he shoot off-the ball coming round a screen? How's his movement off the ball in a movement based offense? he passes well in the open court, what could he have accomplished with some back door cuts to the basket built into the offense?

It's not Carr's fault we have no idea.

Marcus might be the best recruit that RP brought in. I hope to see him next year and he will be making money playing ball one day..

There could be so much more to Carr's game! Pitino never exploited. Can he shoot off-the ball coming round a screen? How's his movement off the ball in a movement based offense? he passes well in the open court, what could he have accomplished with some back door cuts to the basket built into the offense?

It's not Carr's fault we have no idea.
I agree very fully.

I do not love Mash. In fact, there are currently zero Gophers I am head over heals with. Every single one of them has at least one Achilles heel.

Not a complete player in the bunch.

Carr, Robbins, Kalesheur and Johnson come the closest.

I think they all have two achilles heels.

I'll also say I have seen VERY few complete college players. At Minnesota. Bobby Jackson probably the closest? but thats over 20 years ago

I think they all have two achilles heels.

I'll also say I have seen VERY few complete college players. At Minnesota. Bobby Jackson probably the closest? but thats over 20 years ago
Lol

Hoffarber probably got 99% of what he was capable of.
Oturu was getting there.
Coffey was nearly there.
Murphy was close to 100% of his physical ability.

Yes they have heels but some like Murph and Hoff couldn't of possibly given us more.

Lol

Hoffarber probably got 99% of what he was capable of.
Oturu was getting there.
Coffey was nearly there.
Murphy was close to 100% of his physical ability.

Yes they have heels but some like Murph and Hoff couldn't of possibly given us more.

Getting what you're capable of doesn't mean you don't have an achilles heel.

Murphy could have developed a mid range game. Hoffarber could have extended his range, been a better defender and been better at going to the basket.

Oturu could have been better passing out of double teams and avoiding foul trouble.

Coffey could have been a better slasher and creator.

We can do this all day but that isn't what this thread is about. Carr is as complete as anyone you're naming. If not more. He is better offensively than anyone on that list. He creates more for his team than anyone on your list.

Marcus might be the best recruit that RP brought in. I hope to see him next year and he will be making money playing ball one day..
Oturu was the best recruit RP brought in. If he had stayed 4 years- his college career would have been amazing.

Getting what you're capable of doesn't mean you don't have an achilles heel.

Murphy could have developed a mid range game. Hoffarber could have extended his range, been a better defender and been better at going to the basket.

Oturu could have been better passing out of double teams and avoiding foul trouble.

Coffey could have been a better slasher and creator.

We can do this all day but that isn't what this thread is about. Carr is as complete as anyone you're naming. If not more. He is better offensively than anyone on that list. He creates more for his team than anyone on your list.
Yeah, he is in the top 5 of the Pitino era. I'm not going to crown him as the best. Other players did more for their teammates IMHO.

I agree with you.

(But on the other side, no one else being able to shoot hurts).

I really like Carr. I know he has flaws but a lot of that is whats around him (or not around him). He has provided some amazing moments in his couple years as Gopher and its a damn shame he didn't get a chance to play with Coffey and Murphy on that tournament team. He would have excelled with those guys, Gabe and Daniel.

Yeah, he is in the top 5 of the Pitino era. I'm not going to crown him as the best. Other players did more for their teammates IMHO.

Agree to disagree. He does hold the single season assist record for the program.

Top Bottom