Marcus and Gabe

Jamal Mashburn 1st Team All Conference Mountain West
Hero ball that has brought a spiraling death to a tournament invitation.
There is a reason why the OP chose Carr and Kalschuer.

There was never a question that Pitino recruited a bunch of quality players but for whatever reason the results of those players playing together left a lot to be desired and led to him being fired.
Would be amazing to peer into an alternate universe where, any other staff in the country that you wanted, was actually the staff here with the same roster.

What would they do differently? And would it work? Or is there really some cosmic curse located right here?

Gabe finally found his shot again his senior year....good for him.....they say shooters just gotta shoot themselves out of a slump and it took him 2 years of chucking to get back in the groove

There was never a question that Pitino recruited a bunch of quality players but for whatever reason the results of those players playing together left a lot to be desired and led to him being fired.

On a personal level, I didn't like Pitino by the end of his second year but I always gave him his due when I thought he did something well. I was very impressed by the transfers and other recruits he managed to corral going into his last season. The fact that the end result of the 2021 season was almost the same as the 2020 season (where he had a pretty thin roster) made his last season the most disappointing of all for me.

Gabe finally found his shot again his senior year....good for him.....they say shooters just gotta shoot themselves out of a slump and it took him 2 years of chucking to get back in the groove
He has had quite the journey shooting 3s. 1st two years he was lights out (especially his freshman year). Next 2 he was dredful from behind the arc. This year he is back to what he was doing his first 2 years.

He has had quite the journey shooting 3s. 1st two years he was lights out (especially his freshman year). Next 2 he was dredful from behind the arc. This year he is back to what he was doing his first 2 years.
exactly

It’s cool they are doing well, but personally, don’t get into the “what could have happened”. Think Sid was, of course, the first person I can recall doing it. Believe he would mention George McGinnis and what could have been if he would have only came to the U. Also the endless John Wooden stuff, etc. Fleck really stabilized the football side of things. It can certainly happen with this sport also.

Had an interesting conversation with a hoops fanatic who is also a believer in "Shooters Shoot" to get out of a slump. He has also, on several occasions, lamented that "You're shooting 27%, you can't keep shooting 3's". Kinda typical of many fans-Great if it works, awful if it doesn't. So I asked him, so what is the threshold of moving from Shooters Shoot to You Gotta Stop Shooting? Is it struggling through 20 shots? 50 shots? 75? Even more complicated if there doesn't seem to be a technical flaw and the player is still making shots in a practice setting. Unfortunately, he had no real answer to that question. I get the feeling that there isn't an actual number threshold. It's more "when are you starting to frustrate me as a fan.". We fans are fickle and pointing out our lack of logic and perspective just upsets us more. :)

He was "lights out" his freshman year and that's all. According to an article a few years ago from Sports Illustrated, the average team 3 point shooting percentage had pretty stable variation between 34% and 35.9% from year to year although the 2020 season fell below the normal average range.

Gabe percentages for his career are:

2019: .410

2020: .341

2021: .245

2022: .235

2023: .352

So, an accurate description of Gabe's three point shooting performance over his collegiate career would be that he was very good in his first year, average for his second and fifth seasons, and flat out terrible for the two seasons between those.

By the way, even looking at Gabe's best season (.410), we'd discover that this percentage, while very good, is not exactly remarkable. According to a search on Sports Reference, there have been 255 players with 30 or more 3 point attempts this season who have shot at least that well.

He was "lights out" his freshman year and that's all. According to an article a few years ago from Sports Illustrated, the average team 3 point shooting percentage had pretty stable variation between 34% and 35.9% from year to year although the 2020 season fell below the normal average range.

Gabe percentages for his career are:

2019: .410

2020: .341

2021: .245

2022: .235

2023: .352

So, an accurate description of Gabe's three point shooting performance over his collegiate career would be that he was very good in his first year, average for his second and fifth seasons, and flat out terrible for the two seasons between those.

By the way, even looking at Gabe's best season (.410), we'd discover that this percentage, while very good, is not exactly remarkable. According to a search on Sports Reference, there have been 255 players with 30 or more 3 point attempts this season who have shot at least that well.
Fair enough on the characterization of the his individual years. Gabe hit a lot of clutch 3s his freshman year and was a player everyone was really excited about, which made his slight dropoff in year 2 and then massive dropoff in year 3 so frustrating to watch.

Good buddy is an ISU fan, they are sliding and he cited Gabe going cold…

So if Pitino stayed we could of had:

Carr
Mashburn
Kalesheur
Robbins
Some other guy

What isn’t mentioned in these accolades is how Beard made Carr a better player by taking away his green light to shoot.

Having Carr and Mashburn fight to hog the ball and hoist shots while ignoring the big guy in the post would have been hysterical!

Just because someone does well elsewhere doesn’t mean they would have been good here. We would still need a good coach.

If you look ok at the Big 12 Conference only game stats, Gabe’s conference stats ate pretty good:

- 8th in Scoring
- 6th in FG%
- 3rd in 3PT made per game
- 40.9% 3PT

That’s in basketballs best conference. If they lost when Gabe slumped, it makes sense because he’s likely been a critical part of there success on offense, plus being all conference defense.

Hero ball that has brought a spiraling death to a tournament invitation.
There is a reason why the OP chose Carr and Kalschuer.

I prefer the wonderful team ball the gophers play. There was no spiraling death unless you count the fan base

Pitino is frequently derided as a terrible recruiter. But depending on perspective, that statement is maybe not entirely incompatible with acknowledging that there were talented players on the team, especially if criticizing team depth in particular more so than top end talent.

Pitino is frequently derided as a terrible recruiter. But depending on perspective, that statement is maybe not entirely incompatible with acknowledging that there were talented players on the team, especially if criticizing team depth in particular more so than top end talent.
Pitino failed to land the elite in state guys but I never saw him as a bad recruiter in terms of finding talented players. He just couldn't figure out how to make the pieces work together.

Pitino failed to land the elite in state guys but I never saw him as a bad recruiter in terms of finding talented players. He just couldn't figure out how to make the pieces work together.
Or they would all get injured at once it seemed like

Top Bottom