Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

I don’t know how people can say that he’s going to get stuck at the bottom of the depth chart. He is electric and will be a fan favorite at Oregon until he goes to the NFL. Best of luck to him.
He’ll have a shot. I think he’d have a better shot here though. Looks like Oregon already has similar style rbs.

I equate NIL with Biden forgiving student loans. The student is unwilling to fulfill a commitment they made knowing there be rocky times in /after their college career. Or perhaps the student jumps at the opportunity to get something for nothing either way it smells.

I equate NIL with Biden forgiving student loans. The student is unwilling to fulfill a commitment they made knowing there be rocky times in /after their college career. Or perhaps the student jumps at the opportunity to get something for nothing either way it smells.
Agreed. One thing to add- I overhear folks who are deep in debt saying- ‘like I am paying they off.’ It’s all kinds of debt people are simply waiting to walk away from.

I see, so right wingers like yourself are all in favor of capitalism until it becomes inconvenient for them?

Lost them early in the season, to injuries.
Yeah, those that want to panic about Thomas and Irving leaving like to gloss over just what it took for those two to even see the field last year.

I mean I get it, we all hate to see talented players leave, but the cupboard is absolutely not bare at RB and while there is some unknown in regards to the guys coming back from injury, the reports have been positive enough to think they will be ready to rock in the fall.

The Pac12 is perfect for his game, IMO.

How many of these deals are legit as laid out by the recruiters? These aren’t like professional sports contracts. If you don’t produce, or get hurt, the tap could be shut off. Be cautious. Pay your taxes. I’m getting old, as I can think of a million ways deals like this could go south. I hope Bucky (and other players doing this) have somebody very trustworthy looking over their affairs. It would be so easy to take advantage of kids if they’re left to deal with it themselves (or leave it to their agent). Getting paid is nice. But setting yourself up for future success is so much more important. Hopefully he found a place where he is getting both.
Let alone, just plain bad actors on the side of the NIL providers.

It will happen, eventually. It's the wild west. What's the player going to do, sue the booster? We'll be hearing about these stories within a couple of years ...

Hasn't this already been the case pretty much forever?

The college football playoffs has been around for 8 years now. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and Oklahoma make up 21 of the 32 appearances.
True, but Cincy got a shot, that one time. Maybe the Gophers could have, in 5-10 years at some point?

Now ... with how it's going, seems all but impossible?

Let alone, just plain bad actors on the side of the NIL providers.

It will happen, eventually. It's the wild west. What's the player going to do, sue the booster? We'll be hearing about these stories within a couple of years ...
And the kicker is that now a guy like Bucky has already used his "one time free transfer". So if he was sold a bill of goods and it doesn't turn out to be what he was promised, or the booster screws him, or whatever (like I said, a million things could go wrong), he can't just leave for another place. He'd have to sit out a year to play somewhere else. I hope the best for the kid, I just can't help but feel cautious for him. It might not be him specifically, but you are right, you'll start to hear horror stories in a few years, especially as the kids are beyond their NCAA playing days.

You can always move down to FCS and be immediately eligible. Still possible to make it to the league going that route.

But of course, hope it all works out for him!

another way to look at this:

MN got strong production in '21 from two guys who were 4th and 5th on the depth chart to begin the season.

That would suggest that MN has a system that knows how to feature RB's and put them in a position to succeed.

certainly, some backs have more physical gifts than others.

But - just like the Glen Mason teams kept cranking out 1,000-yd RB's, it looks like the Gophers under Fleck have cracked the same code.

If not Mo, then Potts. If not Potts, then Williams, If not Williams, then Thomas. If not Thomas, then Irving.

AND -if not Irving, then Evans. and the Wheel goes round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down.

I don’t know how people can say that he’s going to get stuck at the bottom of the depth chart. He is electric and will be a fan favorite at Oregon until he goes to the NFL. Best of luck to him.
He is unlikely to go to NFL, whether he stayed here or not. He is not very big, and he does not have breakaway speed at that level. He will be a good college back, but will split time in Oregon just as he would have here. Although, it would have been interesting to see just how much time he would have even received here if Mo and Potts both end up healthy.

Yeah, those that want to panic about Thomas and Irving leaving like to gloss over just what it took for those two to even see the field last year.

I mean I get it, we all hate to see talented players leave, but the cupboard is absolutely not bare at RB and while there is some unknown in regards to the guys coming back from injury, the reports have been positive enough to think they will be ready to rock in the fall.
Yep, no reason to panic. Let's be honest, both Thomas and Irving have talent, but not enough that they were guaranteed time here this fall. With Mo and Potts healthy, and the freshman from TX coming in, they may have been back at 4th and 5th string. My guess is Burns and Fleck honest with them about that. If they were guaranteed time here they likely wouldn't have left, although rumor Irving was maybe looking for NIL money.

Looks like he's headed to Oregon:

There are "Mama Bear" paw prints all over this one. $$$$$

We used to think of the end of the road for Gopher Football when we lost high-caliber talent like our two RBs from last season. Look at who is replacing them.

Top Bottom