Many Gopher Fans Stink, 6-6 is what you predicted

minnyrules11

Reaction score
You always want to blame the coach but yet it's not their fault they have the ball inside the 20 twice and can't score. Players have to get it done at some point. It was obvious some of Brewsters recruits AKA Tinsley played awesome today. You want to email Maturi and whine that we should have a new coach. If that is the case we will lose all our good recruits because they want to play for Brew. Mason has ten years and had a great running game and got us nowhere and you want Brewster gone before a whole recruiting class? If you only cheer for a team because they are winners you are in fact losers like Badger fans. A new coach sends us back another five years.

The defense had an outstanding performance today but yet a bunch of grown adults want to huff and puff but yet we really haven't beat our rivals much in the past 20 years anyways. Give him a chance. Did anyone happen to notice our top two wide receivers were missing? How many like to belittle our QB and call one of our olineman fat, but then act like you deserve a new coach of Tony Dungy Stature?

Hey, jackass, watch another college team like UConn or Oregon or Boise and then tell me we have a good coach. He's pathetic.

yes I love the name calling, thank you for that. Honestly get a life. First year of an offense and your giving up. UConn is a great team as they beat mighty Notre Dame today. It's not like we are getting blown out in these games. You could mention Ohio St and Penn St but don't forget to mention the refs prevented us from making those games.

yes I love the name calling, thank you for that. Honestly get a life. First year of an offense and your giving up. UConn is a great team as they beat mighty Notre Dame today. It's not like we are getting blown out in these games. You could mention Ohio St and Penn St but don't forget to mention the refs prevented us from making those games.

Oh, I got it. So we can blame the refs, just not Brewster?

The defense had an outstanding performance today...... but yet a bunch of grown adults want to huff and puff but yet we really haven't beat our rivals much in the past 20 years anyways. Give him a chance. Did anyone happen to notice our top two wide receivers were missing? How many like to belittle our QB and call one of our olineman fat, but then act like you deserve a new coach of Tony Dungy Stature?

Honest question. Do you think our defensive performance today had anything to do with Iowa missing a starting O-lineman, their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string (and 4th string for a good part of the game) running backs and their starting QB?

If you're willing to blame our offensive problems on missing our two best wide receivers, isn't it also fair to downgrade our D's performance because of the missing players on Iowa's offense caused them to be less effective?

I never said that. However I was at the Ohio State game and the refs were horrible just like Penn St but nobody wants to admit these teams get the calls that completely take us out of games. Many of you predicted 6-6 but now want the coach gone? You call the players, coaches names and the fans who disagree with you. Some poster just tried saying UConn is good but they are 5-5. We are a couple plays away from being 9-3 or 3-9 with one of the tougher schedules in the country. This is not Basketball as it takes time. He deserves a full recruiting class.

Honest question. Do you think our defensive performance today had anything to do with Iowa missing a starting O-lineman, their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string (and 4th string for a good part of the game) running backs and their starting QB?

If you're willing to blame our offensive problems on missing our two best wide receivers, isn't it also fair to downgrade our D's performance because of the missing players on Iowa's offense caused them to be less effective?

hmmm, I thought the same Iowa offense looked better against the tOSU defense in Columbus than they did against us at home. Are you saying our defense is better than tOSU's defense?

I agree with your title, but no as much with your facts. If you predict 6-6, don't be dissapointed when we go 6-6. You say, "Oh,well, we weren't IN every game...I expect we'd be in it atleast every game." .500 teams usually take a few lumps and have games where they go flat and get beat bad.

Stupid thread...Brewster is not coaching this team well at all and everybody can see it.......

6-6 does not tell the final story of the season. It was how we LOST the six games and BARELY won the other 6.

Remarkable year to have finished 6-6 and a bowl as expected...although many here anticipated more. Probably would have been a stronger finish with Deck on board, but no one expected a repeat of 2008 in that regard.

MSU was really puzzling. Deck out. Team rallies. Ex penalties, a huge confidence booster for the O. Good fortune...all the stars aligned...or just the result of hard coaching/player work and terrific execution? No one here seems to have a definitive answer.

Then the November O collapse...consistent inconsistency. Frustrated and deflated Holers.

A 6-6 finish not really a change from the previous regime. However, unlike previous years, there seem to be a very large number of talented players in the pipeline and they appeared to be getting better with experience as the season unfolded. That's encouraging player development and a good indication that the depth problem is being solved.

Also, another positive indicator for me...this version of GG fb came from behind in all of their wins. No mailing it in...no quitting by coaches or players...no soft 2H collapses.

Yes, they were not talented or deep enough to overwhelmingly dominate opponents, but they demonstrated a capacity to come back and overcome adversity. Weak-willed teams do not have this ability and strength of determination...especially defensively.

Determination starts with the coaches and flows to the players...I tip my hat to all involved and look forward to more of that attitude in the future as the pipeline starts producing more Ws.

I would be OK with 4-8 if I saw promise ... they didn't score an offensive TD in 4-games (the garbage-time TD vs. the Ohio State third-teamers doesn't count for me) ... they led the Big Ten in penalties for a 2nd straight year ... the QB was very good in '08, terrible in '09 ... that has to be all the changes (new off., throwing style, etc...) ... they had a persnal foul penalty in all but two games ... in-game adjustments outside of a couple games have never been Brew's strength 37-games into his tenure ... not winning 1-game vs. Wis. and Iowa in 6 attempts is not acceptable ... dressing down Maturi in front of the team, dressing down marketing officials after they couldn't sell out the Dome in his 1st game, calling Charlie Weis fat in '07, and tweeting about someone's weight also acceptable ...

All of that crap being said, and clearly I'm not happy, it would be unfair not to give him 2010, where he can have Gray start at QB, and start all of his own guys (Collado though a Mason recruit) ... I just lack evidence that things will be better next year with all the guys he's losing ... this was the year in a crappy Big Ten to make some noise, and they failed.

Charlie Weiss IS fat and so is Ruesse...it is a statement of fact. Definitely not a fireable offense. They should really lose weight. It's starting to make sense now...I had no idea Ruesse had that much pull in this town (please no jokes having to do with "pull" and gravitational force. I don't want anybody losing their jobs). Minneapolis officially has a fat joke watchdog group.

GopherHomer -- It's still not a road that Brewster should've gone down ... let me add this on the defense: Great yesterday, love Kirksey and Edwards, but how will they generate a pass rush next year? Love Cooper also, but can he hold up for 60-something snaps a game? His size, for me, makes him an ideal safety, so can he survive playing LB? Will the corners have leeway and be allowed to play near the line of scrimmage? As good as the defense was the last two games, they still allowed Big Ten opponents to convert approx. 48% of their 3rd downs ... that is still among the worst in the nation, and it went down 6% or so based on yesterday's nice performance.

6-6 does not tell the final story of the season. It was how we LOST the six games and BARELY won the other 6.

I have heard this before, and it is a bogus statement. Fans will ALWAYS be upset with the way games are lost and ALWAYS look for how wins could be bigger. To say this season is any different is just allowing your frustration to cloud your judgment.

I heard about the other ones, but can you elaborate on this one

Souhan had the note in his column Friday ... word is ... it was in reaction to what Maturi told Marcus Fuller for a story leading into the Mich. St. game (contract extension related) (maybe the Oct. 28 or Oct. 29 edition of the Pioneer Press) ... not entirely sure that that is the only time something like that has happened.

the "garbage time" TD against OSU didn't count for doogie! can someone call the big tenn and the NCAA and have them remove them from the statistics!

Hey, jackass, watch another college team like UConn or Oregon or Boise and then tell me we have a good coach. He's pathetic.

Yep, that's what Colorado said when they hired Boise State's first genius coach. Ask them how they like Hawkins now. The Oregon coach is coaching talent left from a great coach. Brewster is coaching crap left behind by Mason.

For every example like that, we could mention Ed Orgeron ... good recruiter at Ole Miss, bad coach ... Nutt is now there coaching up all that talent has won some big games the last 2 years.

Yep, that's what Colorado said when they hired Boise State's first genius coach. Ask them how they like Hawkins now. The Oregon coach is coaching talent left from a great coach. Brewster is coaching crap left behind by Mason.

Yet he refuses to bench that crap...signs of a bad coach.......

I'd like to know what kind of goggles some people are wearing when they're watching these games, because it must be nice to see the illusion that Brewster & Fisch do NOT look in over their heads.

As someone stated earlier, it's not so much the record as the way the looked in amassing it.

As someone stated earlier, it's not so much the record as the way the looked in amassing it.

That is a ridiculous statement. 6-6 is 6-6. If you are honest with yourself, you will say that you will never be happy with the way the team got to 6-6.

The way they looked in amassing it is losing 6 games. You will never be happy with the way a team loses a game, and neither will I. To say otherwise is just looking for a reason to dislike a coach.

To all of those unhappy with "the way we lost," please provide an example of a loss where you were happy with everything that went on in the game. This is the worst line of reasoning I have heard, and a ton of people buy into it (much like the "identity" argument- what does it even mean?) because they are frustrated. Please use your heads.

That is a ridiculous statement. 6-6 is 6-6. If you are honest with yourself, you will say that you will never be happy with the way the team got to 6-6.

The way they looked in amassing it is losing 6 games. You will never be happy with the way a team loses a game, and neither will I. To say otherwise is just looking for a reason to dislike a coach.

To all of those unhappy with "the way we lost," please provide an example of a loss where you were happy with everything that went on in the game. This is the worst line of reasoning I have heard, and a ton of people buy into it (much like the "identity" argument- what does it even mean?) because they are frustrated. Please use your heads.

Because in most of our losses we could've won if we didn't look unprepared, undisciplined, sloppy, confused & inconsistent........

Because in most of our losses we could've won if we didn't look unprepared, undisciplined, sloppy, confused & inconsistent........

Exactly. There is always a reason. If it wasn't that, people would be upset because of a play call, or bad QB execution, etc. Every loss is "a game we should have won." It is the nature of fandom. In this case, the prevailing thought is that it is bad coaching. What's new? Welcome to the life of a fan. If/when the new coach comes along, this board will still blame the coaches for every loss. It is how things go.

Also, an ellipsis is only three periods. You use it on every post, so I figured you would want to use it properly.

Brewster had a very Masonesque season with a 6-6 team (except he didn't blow any big leads). His best players are still young, let's just take it easy. Personally, I think he was screwed because they fired Mason too late in the year. That was weird.

Top Bottom