Manny's or Murray's?

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
Coming up for the game and bringing some friends from TCU and they always like to experience a fine steakhouse. I know these places are expensive, but we are blowing it out this weekend. Can I get some help on where to take my friends from TCU? Manny's, Murray's, JD Hoyt's or other suggestions?
A little guidance would be helpful and appreciated. BTW, my taste is more along the lines of a Big Ten Sub at every meal.

Butcher

Coming up for the game and bringing some friends from TCU and they always like to experience a fine steakhouse. I know these places are expensive, but we are blowing it out this weekend. Can I get some help on where to take my friends from TCU? Manny's, Murray's, JD Hoyt's or other suggestions?
A little guidance would be helpful and appreciated. BTW, my taste is more along the lines of a Big Ten Sub at every meal.

Butcher and the Boar better food, better ambiance and better value.

I'd also go to Burch before Mannys or Murrays.

Murray's>Manny's for ambiance. Manny's really does not separate themselves from the pack relative to their prices.
There
Personally, I'd go with Jax Cafe in Northeast jaxcafe.com. There is a touch of class from a bygone era that makes it stand out in my mind versus the other contestants.

Also, could save it for the Sunday brunch.

For my money Jax cafe is a better deal than Mannys or Murrays

Murray's>Manny's for ambiance. Manny's really does not separate themselves from the pack relative to their prices.
There
Personally, I'd go with Jax Cafe in Northeast jaxcafe.com. There is a touch of class from a bygone era that makes it stand out in my mind versus the other contestants.

Also, could save it for the Sunday brunch.

You can get a damn fine steak at Jax cafe with better service and prices in my opinion than Mannys or Murrays. Don't buy the hype, the steaks at Mannys and Murrays is no better than Jax cafe and you get a better overall dining experience and better overall food at Jax cafe.
Just because it isn't downtown doesn't make it any less of a place, Jax cafe does fine dining and steaks as good as those downtown places, and they will put a few bucks back in your pocket.

If you go to JD Hoyt's, you go for the pork chops! They are awesome.

Quit thinking about all this steak crap and get some real football food. Go to Matt's in south Minneapolis for a "Juicy Lucy" hamburger! 1 pound of hamburger lovingly stuffed with cheddar cheese on the inside. As seen on "Man vs. Food".

On the St. Paul side, if you like kitch, Mancini's is the place to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you go to JD Hoyt's, you go for the pork chops! They are awesome.

Quit thinking about all this steak crap and get some real football food. Go to Matt's in south Minneapolis for a "Juicy Lucy" hamburger! 1 pound of hamburger lovingly stuffed with cheddar cheese on the inside. As seen on "Man vs. Food".

*Jucy :)

The above suggestions are good, but I'm sure you've seen the awards for both of those Steakhouses (Manny's & Murray's). Between the two, I'd go to Manny's as it really is a great place to pick up a good dry aged steak. Men's Journal has it as one of the 10 Best Steakhouses in the World. I wouldn't put it necessarily in the Top 10; but for the Twin Cities, the Midwest, or even the Nation, it's right up there. Of course it's pricey, but it does have a lot of awards and tradition. They really do a nice job with service, presentation, and taste.

You cannot go wrong with either Manny's or Murray's though. You'll be happy with either one.

Let us know where you go and your thoughts.

I'm not really into expensive food, but I did take my wife to Murray's for an anniversary dinner once, and it was very good. Never been to Manny's.

I've been to Jax Cafe a half dozen times, and it's excellent. Very classy, a little old fashioned, and the food was of a very high quality.

Is Kincaids still operating in Bloomington? I used to go there and enjoyed myself every time, except the one time I asked for a glass of water and instead they brought me a bottle of imported Italian water and charged me $13 for it. That cheesed me off.

Yes I would also say Jax for good food and unique charm. Manny's is not unique in my opinion. Burch's is new world charm and what Jax's and Burch's have is that they are located in a neighborhood. You could go for an after dinner stroll at Burch's and show them Kenwood.

Yes I would also say Jax for good food and unique charm. Manny's is not unique in my opinion. Burch's is new world charm and what Jax's and Burch's have is that they are located in a neighborhood. You could go for an after dinner stroll at Burch's and show them Kenwood.

Sure, but at Jax you have the entire Nordeast to explore.

And every Billy Kozlak that runs the place is a huge Gopher fan. And yes, I'm including the next one who is probably in 7th grade this year.

Regarding Manny's vs Murray's. I have been to both of them recently and agree both are very good. From those recent experiences I got the feeling Murray's was a bit better value but if money isn't in question Manny's was better overall.

Regarding Manny's vs Murray's. I have been to both of them recently and agree both are very good. From those recent experiences I got the feeling Murray's was a bit better value but if money isn't in question Manny's was better overall.

If we're talking about only Murray's vs. Manny's...Agreed.

If I go to Murray's I only sit in the bar and have the steak sandwich. Manny's has better beef.

If we're talking about only Murray's vs. Manny's...Agreed.

If I go to Murray's I only sit in the bar and have the steak sandwich. Manny's has better beef.
Do you get to pick out the cow out back? I'm betting they use pretty similar quality beef.

Do you get to pick out the cow out back? I'm betting they use pretty similar quality beef.

Unless something has changed, Murray's no longer dry ages their beef. Can't speak on sourcing but I prefer Manny's end result.

Both are very good though.

Agree with one of the first recommendations here, Butcher & Boar. I would go there or to Burch for any type of meat before Manny's or Murray's. Haven't been to Jax so can't comment there.

Butcher and the Boar better food, better ambiance and better value.

My experience at the Butcher and Boar was not good. Totally not worth the hype. Manny's is the best, but Murray's is a close second. As someone else said, JD's for a pork chop.

The Silver Butterknife steak at Murray's is better than any steak you get at Manny's. It is a big strip that you share with another person. However the cocktails at Murray's are a little disappointing and the sides are good, but not great. Manny's serves quality cocktails, excellent sides, and very good steaks. I like both. If I am taking my wife, I would choose Murray's (see steak for two). If I am out with the guys, I choose Manny's.

Following a Gopher game, I choose Jax. At Jax you'll get an excellent meal and there are always plenty of Gopher fans after a game. Nice atmosphere.

My experience at the Butcher and Boar was not good. Totally not worth the hype. Manny's is the best, but Murray's is a close second. As someone else said, JD's for a pork chop.

I didn't like Hoyt's at all. It reminded me of a diner. I felt bad I took my wife there when we had considered Murray's or Jax.

Manny's for the overall experience - and I'd hit Burch or even the Strip Club (Meat & Fish) in St Paul - before Murray's.

For steaks, you go with the classic. Murray's all day. But if you're just looking for the best food, go to Revival. Seriously, people. Or Parlour for the burger.

Manny's = Murray's. The difference comes down to your personal preference/dining experience you had at both. Both produce great food at a ridiculous price. Butcher and the Boar is great, one of my favorites. Jax Cafe is a classic where youcan get great quality food without paying the over priced downtown price (manny's and murrays). If money isn't really a deciding factor I'm assuming you will just choose a downtown one and you will not be disappointed.

One place I haven't seen mentioned yet would be Erte in North East. You can get a very good steak dinner for your money there. Fraction of the cost of the DT places. Plus you can hit Dangerous Man brewery before/after.

For steaks, you go with the classic. Murray's all day. But if you're just looking for the best food, go to Revival. Seriously, people. Or Parlour for the burger.

Great suggestions. The Parlour burger is still the best just plain cheese burger I've had in MPLS. The chef from there just opened a new restaurant in DT called Il Foro. Their lunch menu includes the Burger 2.0 which is suppose to be his improvement on the parlour burger. It was good, but didnt think it was as good as the parlour burger.

Revival is awesome! I would not recommend it though if you are bringing a group of people that you are entertaining. Been there twice and the wait was 2 hours each time to get a table (once on a wednesday evening).

Manny's if money is no object. Get the bacon appetizer for sheer insanity and hashbrowns.

Great suggestions. The Parlour burger is still the best just plain cheese burger I've had in MPLS. The chef from there just opened a new restaurant in DT called Il Foro. Their lunch menu includes the Burger 2.0 which is suppose to be his improvement on the parlour burger. It was good, but didnt think it was as good as the parlour burger.

Revival is awesome! I would not recommend it though if you are bringing a group of people that you are entertaining. Been there twice and the wait was 2 hours each time to get a table (once on a wednesday evening).

Second on the Parlour Burger! Apparently it is considered one of the best burgers in the country

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-33-best-burgers-in-america-2015

If you are specifically looking for steak options, 112 eatery has a really good sirloin (among other dishes) and Bar La Grassa has great Steak options among their many Italian dishes. For overall eating experience, Spoon and Stable is a fun spot with meat options, but a little hard to get into at a reasonable time for a group. Just throwing out some choices that offer creative experiences with food as opposed to just straight up steak.

Top Bottom