Maggie Mendelson has entered the Transfer Portal

Belzx009

Reaction score
I didn’t know where to post this, so I just started a new one. Maggie has entered the VB transfer portal. She seemed to be interested in Minnesota a few years back. I’m not sure if she still plans on playing both. She would be a great backup for Hart.

It
I didn’t know where to post this, so I just started a new one. Maggie has entered the VB transfer portal. She seemed to be interested in Minnesota a few years back. I’m not sure if she still plans on playing both. She would be a great backup for Hart.
Seems likely, if there's a scholarship. Her volleyball final 4 were NE (leaving), TX (doesn't need her), WA (when Cook was there!) And MN (where Cook is now).

Guessing she might want to decide quickly and transfer at semester so she can play spring ball at new school?

During her recruiting I thought her high rankings in the two sports made her an intriguing recruit. Wondering if in practice that trying to do both maybe wasn't the best for her development as a player.

If volleyball recruited her could we get a bonus basketball player? Football scholarships trump basketball scholarships if you play both. Same for volleyball over basketball?

If volleyball recruited her could we get a bonus basketball player? Football scholarships trump basketball scholarships if you play both. Same for volleyball over basketball?
I actually think it would be the other way around. Basketball gets 15 and VB gets 12. She would probably need to be on a basketball scholarship. I believe there is one available.

The other Gopher sports forum maybe

There is some talk she might be prioritizing one sport, which might change her options a lot

At this point, it is unknown if she will play both basketball and volleyball at her next destination. Head coaches Amy Williams and John Cook had to walk a tightrope trying to balance Mendelson’s schedule, as the two seasons overlap.

Mendelson’s eligibility is also an interesting road to watch. She has two years of eligibility left for volleyball but also has three years of basketball eligibility remaining. Mendelson did not see any action this season for the Huskers’ women’s basketball team before entering the transfer portal.
[...]

So, what does this mean?

For Husker women’s basketball, likely not much. Nebraska has been humming along to a 9-3 start to the season without Mendelson, along with a 1-0 record in Big Ten play. Mendelson was the tallest big on the team, with junior center Alexis Markowski and senior forward Annika Stewart standing at 6-foot-3.

Markowski has been shining this year, with seven double-doubles in twelve games. Freshman forward Natalie Potts and senior guard Jaz Shelley have also been key contributors to the Husker’s success as starters. Freshman guard Logan Nissley, junior forward Kendall Coley, and sophomore guard Callin Hake have been big bench pieces.

But for Nebraska volleyball, the situation is a little different. Mendelson was one of three middle blockers on the team, alongside Andi Jackson and Bekka Allick. Jackson is a rising sophomore and Allick is a rising junior.

I *think* she might have one more year of basketball eligibility than she does in volleyball. She’s definitely putting some thought into basketball. Another volleyball message board mentioned she and Kim Mulkey recently started following each other, in addition to Kim’s recruiting coordinator assistant.

That our volleyball program is a bigger draw than LSU’s and we are in need of middles shouldn’t hurt, in addition to our basketball team being the rise.

I *think* she might have one more year of basketball eligibility than she does in volleyball. She’s definitely putting some thought into basketball. Another volleyball message board mentioned she and Kim Mulkey recently started following each other, in addition to Kim’s recruiting coordinator assistant.

That our volleyball program is a bigger draw than LSU’s and we are in need of middles shouldn’t hurt, in addition to our basketball team being the rise.

She's also following Lauren Crowl and Julia Hanson of Minnesota Volleyball. Maybe others, I didn't look through all.

1703532304157.png

In response to an earlier question, if a player plays both basketball and volleyball, and is on scholarship, it has to be a basketball scholarship. It’s an NCAA scholarship rule, unless it changed in the last 7 years.

Top Bottom