Mack Brown considering playing ineligible receiver Tez Walker

hello-world

Reaction score

Title is purposely inflammatory. I wouldn't be upset if they did this because he should have been ruled eligible, but it was interesting to hear a coach considering it.

Last edited:

Unless there is more the thread title is a little misleading. Don't think Brown is really considering it because he knows full well what would happen if he plays an ineligible player.

The fact that they are still complaining about this proves that the real reason the player wanted to transfer was to play at UNC and play right away this year. Grandma was just the excuse they tried to use to get past the NCAA.

Unless there is more the thread title is a little misleading. Don't think Brown is really considering it because he knows full well what would happen if he plays an ineligible player.

The fact that they are still complaining about this proves that the real reason the player wanted to transfer was to play at UNC and play right away this year. Grandma was just the excuse they tried to use to get past the NCAA.
His quote was, "Somebody says, 'play him!' Let's find out. Can you play him? If you do, then what are the repercussions?"

I don't think that thread title is misleading. That's Mack Brown pondering what would happen if he put this guy in a game.

Last edited:

It be a penalty “on that particular play or plays” if a ineligible player was on the field.. Right?

It would be a forfeit to play with an illegible player. But that ruling wouldn't happen until after the game. So we'd see the outcome.

We're not playing with our player that hasn't been given a waiver either.
I don't know all the ins and outs of the rules but there has to be a harsh penalty for knowingly playing an ineligible player beyond just the forfeit.

But again, Mack might be playing dumb in the press conference but he 100% knows what the penalty would be because I guarantee he found out as soon as Walker was declared ineligible.

The Last Forfeit in College Football

“There are two instances in which NCAA statisticians change official won-lost records. They are: 1. When a case ruled on by the NCAA Committees on Infractions include penalties of forfeits or vacancies; or 2. By NCAA executive action”
-NCAA Policies, Page 23
The forfeit is not something seen nowadays in College Football. Sure, there are vacated wins, where a team that finishes the year 10-2 will have those wins erased, but a forfeit works a little differently. Instead of 0-2, that team would finish 0-12 if the NCAA ordered those games to be forfeited. Like I said, it doesn’t happen often nowadays. In fact, a forfeit hasn’t occurred during the 21st century. The last game to officially have been forfeited was on September 12th, 1998. Since it is the 21st anniversary of the occasion, let’s talk about it...

The Game​

It was a rather cool day in College Station, relatively speaking. The number 17 Texas A&M squad was coming off of a 23-14 loss against the number 2 ranked Florida State Seminoles while Louisiana Tech had just been shellacked by Nebraska the prior week. Nobody expected A&M to lose to a Tech team that would wind up 7-5 at the end of the season. But that’s exactly what the Aggies did.
Technically.
Texas A&M would start the game 21-0 and wind up winning the game 28-7. So how the hell did Texas A&M lose? Well, it’s simple: they had an academically ineligible player playing on the field: D'Andre Hardeman.

Hardeman had a fantastic game for the Aggies: 79 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. Two years prior, he had rushed for 669 yards and 17 touchdowns, so this wasn’t just a flash in the pan player. He was a bona fide star for the Aggies. After a bit of a down year in 1997 he looked to come back with a vengeance in 1998.
It would not come to pass.

The Forfeit​

On September 23rd, Texas A&M announced that it would forfeit their victory over Louisiana Tech on September 12th. Coach Slocum had already suspended Hardeman before their game against Southern Miss. The athletic director of A&M, Wally Groff, would go on to suspend Hardeman the entire season, stating “A&M officials discovered an inadvertent clerical error in the posting of grades at the registrar’s office which resulted in Hardeman being cleared for competition... There was no impropriety in the erroneous posting of the grades. The error was clerical in nature and was made outside of the athletic department. Besides this clerical error, no violation of NCAA and Big 12 rules was found.″

Essentially, Groff was declaring that nobody was at fault for what was essentially a typo. While it’s unlikely A&M would have lost to Tech had Hardeman not played, it can’t be guaranteed (especially since he accounted for all three of A&M’s touchdowns). So, now the game sits in the record books as an A&M loss, one where they outscored Louisiana Tech 28-7.

Aftermath​

Louisiana Tech would have a rather meh season, finishing it by being shellacked 63-30 by Tulane. Without the forfeit, they would have finished the season 6-6. With the newly acquired win, they finished 7-5 without a bowl appearance.

Texas A&M never took a poll hit from the “loss”, with the polls that came out on September 28th placing them 18th instead of 17th. They would string together 9 straight wins after Tech, including over Nebraska, defeat Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship and then fall to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. They refuse to accept the forfeit as a loss to this day.

D'Andre Hardeman, while he would be reinstated to the school in 1999, would never play another down for the Aggies. As of 2015, he was a mechanic for the city of Houston and personal trainer.

Wally Groff would relinquish his position as Athletic Director on December 31st, 2002, largely due to the new president of the university.

The Last Forfeit in College Football

“There are two instances in which NCAA statisticians change official won-lost records. They are: 1. When a case ruled on by the NCAA Committees on Infractions include penalties of forfeits or vacancies; or 2. By NCAA executive action”
-NCAA Policies, Page 23
The forfeit is not something seen nowadays in College Football. Sure, there are vacated wins, where a team that finishes the year 10-2 will have those wins erased, but a forfeit works a little differently. Instead of 0-2, that team would finish 0-12 if the NCAA ordered those games to be forfeited. Like I said, it doesn’t happen often nowadays. In fact, a forfeit hasn’t occurred during the 21st century. The last game to officially have been forfeited was on September 12th, 1998. Since it is the 21st anniversary of the occasion, let’s talk about it...

The Game​

It was a rather cool day in College Station, relatively speaking. The number 17 Texas A&M squad was coming off of a 23-14 loss against the number 2 ranked Florida State Seminoles while Louisiana Tech had just been shellacked by Nebraska the prior week. Nobody expected A&M to lose to a Tech team that would wind up 7-5 at the end of the season. But that’s exactly what the Aggies did.
Technically.
Texas A&M would start the game 21-0 and wind up winning the game 28-7. So how the hell did Texas A&M lose? Well, it’s simple: they had an academically ineligible player playing on the field: D'Andre Hardeman.

Hardeman had a fantastic game for the Aggies: 79 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. Two years prior, he had rushed for 669 yards and 17 touchdowns, so this wasn’t just a flash in the pan player. He was a bona fide star for the Aggies. After a bit of a down year in 1997 he looked to come back with a vengeance in 1998.
It would not come to pass.

The Forfeit​

On September 23rd, Texas A&M announced that it would forfeit their victory over Louisiana Tech on September 12th. Coach Slocum had already suspended Hardeman before their game against Southern Miss. The athletic director of A&M, Wally Groff, would go on to suspend Hardeman the entire season, stating “A&M officials discovered an inadvertent clerical error in the posting of grades at the registrar’s office which resulted in Hardeman being cleared for competition... There was no impropriety in the erroneous posting of the grades. The error was clerical in nature and was made outside of the athletic department. Besides this clerical error, no violation of NCAA and Big 12 rules was found.″

Essentially, Groff was declaring that nobody was at fault for what was essentially a typo. While it’s unlikely A&M would have lost to Tech had Hardeman not played, it can’t be guaranteed (especially since he accounted for all three of A&M’s touchdowns). So, now the game sits in the record books as an A&M loss, one where they outscored Louisiana Tech 28-7.

Aftermath​

Louisiana Tech would have a rather meh season, finishing it by being shellacked 63-30 by Tulane. Without the forfeit, they would have finished the season 6-6. With the newly acquired win, they finished 7-5 without a bowl appearance.

Texas A&M never took a poll hit from the “loss”, with the polls that came out on September 28th placing them 18th instead of 17th. They would string together 9 straight wins after Tech, including over Nebraska, defeat Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship and then fall to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. They refuse to accept the forfeit as a loss to this day.

D'Andre Hardeman, while he would be reinstated to the school in 1999, would never play another down for the Aggies. As of 2015, he was a mechanic for the city of Houston and personal trainer.

Wally Groff would relinquish his position as Athletic Director on December 31st, 2002, largely due to the new president of the university.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just another form of whining by the entitled Tar Heels.

This is just hyperbole by Mack Brown. He would not jeopordize a chance at conference title or bowl game eligibility by playing an ineligible player.

His quote was, "Somebody says, 'play him!' Let's find out. Can you play him? If you do, then what are the repercussions?"

I don't think that thread title is misleading. That's Mack Brown pondering what would happen if he put this guy in a game.
I guess it is open to interpretation but when I listened to it I didn't take it as his musing but more him tossing out things that he has heard from other people in regards to the situation.

I feel very confident Mack knows exactly what would happen if he played him because again I am sure he went and found out as soon as the decision came down. They have compliance departments who know all the ins and outs when it comes to eligibility and what not.

I guess it is open to interpretation but when I listened to it I didn't take it as his musing but more him tossing out things that he has heard from other people in regards to the situation.

I feel very confident Mack knows exactly what would happen if he played him because again I am sure he went and found out as soon as the decision came down. They have compliance departments who know all the ins and outs when it comes to eligibility and what not.
Let's not jump to conclusions concerning a forfeit - it is North Carolina!

Just register Walker for those phony UNC no attendance or work required classes that athletes get to register before any other students. The bogus classes that should have gotten UNC major penalties for academic fraud. Instead the NCAA gave them a slap on the hand with a promise to never do that again, or at least dont let us catch you doing it. Can’t punish the blue bloods too much, you know! But if Cleveland State did it they’d get the death penalty.

Top Bottom