Luke McCaffrey

hungan1

Reaction score
There are some rumblings in Nebraska that McCaffrey is contemplating transferring if they try to switch him from QB...

Rats jumping the sinking ship.

How can he possibly win there next season? Play all RS and true freshman, and hope they're Alabama good? Even that probably doesn't do it, with how competitive the West has become.

I would not be shocked if he gets fired in the middle of 21, if things are looking really bad.

Rats jumping the sinking ship.

How can he possibly win there next season? Play all RS and true freshman, and hope they're Alabama good? Even that probably doesn't do it, with how competitive the West has become.

I would not be shocked if he gets fired in the middle of 21, if things are looking really bad.
I don't like Frost or Nebraska, but if it were my team, I'd give him some more leash unless '21 is an absolute disaster. Is anybody they get going to be an upgrade over Frosty? While every team has transfers (out), the sheer number would be distressing to me if I were a Nebby fan.

I don't like Frost or Nebraska, but if it were my team, I'd give him some more leash unless '21 is an absolute disaster. Is anybody they get going to be an upgrade over Frosty? While every team has transfers (out), the sheer number would be distressing to me if I were a Nebby fan.
Every team has transfers out, but which P5 teams are losing key pieces as non-grad transfers? Probably more than zero others, but still.

Back to the subject at hand, I think Nebraska is right and McCaffery should switch positions. He can't throw accurately enough and doesn't have the elite arm strength to be a high level college QB. And, if you watch him run, there is definitely some speed and wiggle there. Definitely not his brother Christian, but you can see flashes of it. He would be well served to play a different position. Depending on how good the USC transfer RB is, there's a good chance McCaffery is the most talented RB on the Nebraska roster. But, he's playing QB.

That said, maybe he went to Nebraska because they were one of the few who was going to give him a shot at QB and now that they want to change him, he can play another position for just about anyone.

He is super talented.

Reality bites. Switching to WR may be a blessing in disguise.

There is something to be said for continuity/stability IMO. Yes, better players could always show up and out play the previous who transferred out. However, pretty unlikely Neb ups the talent level it is getting (already recruit at a high level), and they will be less familiar with the system. They had 18 leave last year, and I think are around 10 or so this year? If they at least had some production on the field it wouldn't be as worrisome, but constant turnover and zero on field success...yikes.

I would think they would cut bait next season to get a start on targeting the top available candidate, but as said above, you never know with the pandemic this year and the financial situation.

He has a very fast first step and would be a dangerous runner in a jet sweep and if he can learn to run routes and catch could be serviceable WR.
But if he wants to be a QB transfer to a school that uses the QB as a runner in their offensive scheme.

Bo Pellini?

This might be the case where he jumps to another school because they'll 'give him a chance' at QB... but still he goes to WR.

Some guys it just has to be that second school before they make they're cool with the switch.

Granted I can understand that and ... hey who isn't leaving Nebraska anyway?

I looked at their roster because in my mind Adrian Martinez had to be a 4th or 5th year guy last year and was shocked to see he was only a Junior. Feels like he has been there forever.

McCaffrey might be a lot like Streveler was for us. Great athlete but not a power 5 level QB.

At this point it kind of feels like Frost is very good at recruiting athletes but isn't good at finding players that mix well together which is why they continue to struggle. Maybe he turns it around here at some point but so far the returns on the golden boy have not been great.

Bo Pellini?
If Bo P wasn’t such a moron he might still be the coach. He has for whatever reason lost it. It was probably the beginning of the end when he started calling his boss female genitalia in a public setting while the coach of Nebraska

I looked at their roster because in my mind Adrian Martinez had to be a 4th or 5th year guy last year and was shocked to see he was only a Junior. Feels like he has been there forever.

McCaffrey might be a lot like Streveler was for us. Great athlete but not a power 5 level QB.

At this point it kind of feels like Frost is very good at recruiting athletes but isn't good at finding players that mix well together which is why they continue to struggle. Maybe he turns it around here at some point but so far the returns on the golden boy have not been great.

There's a lot of talk about how Frost 'plays favorites' and if you're not a favorite you're not likely to see much playing time and life in the program is pretty hard....

That seems like a recipe for high turnover and depth issues.

There's a lot of talk about how Frost 'plays favorites' and if you're not a favorite you're not likely to see much playing time and life in the program is pretty hard....

That seems like a recipe for high turnover and depth issues.
Doesn't every coach have favorites? They are called starters.

Doesn't every coach have favorites? They are called starters.

The implications I've heard is that it isn't as performance based as you might hope and once you're not one life in the program involves a lot of borderline bullying.

Gratned this is all Neb fan scuttlebutt so who knows.

The implications I've heard is that it isn't as performance based as you might hope and once you're not one life in the program involves a lot of borderline bullying.

Gratned this is all Neb fan scuttlebutt so who knows.
What are they saying it's based on if not performance? Dance battle?

The McCaffery brothers might both end up in the portal. I believe his older brother is leaving Michigan. Nebraska's 2021 QB in from Nebraska, he is like 6'5" 185 pound kid that might end up as a receiver in the end. NDSU was after him, the NDSU commit is from Nebraska and they reached out to him after he committed to NDSU, they were considering him as a LB as well, 6"1 210, left handed. He came from the same HS as Stich who played at NDSU. NDSU then got a 4 star QB to transfer from VT, he looks more like a TE then a QB. He will run a lot for NDSU.

Good read on where Nebraska is at.

Boom.

8. What if Nebraska isn’t a football school anymore? Maybe we’re putting the Huskers in the wrong fraternity.

Since 2002, Nebraska has won 58.8% of its games. That’s 36th nationally, behind schools like Louisville, Michigan State and Missouri. Barely ahead of Kansas State, Stanford and Texas Tech.

Since 2015, Nebraska’s 31-39 record ranks 90th nationally out of 130 teams.
How long must this go on before this is just who Nebraska is?

This has happened. And it was going to happen no matter if Nebraska stayed in the Big XII or moved to the Big Ten, PAC, SEC, or ACC.

McCaffrey is a terrible quarterback, but an awesome athlete. Figure out a way to make it work. With Robinsons moving on along with other Florida players is paints an ugly scene in Lincoln.

Why would we conclude a guy who just started an NFL game two weeks ago is not a P5 level QB?

How do we know if Streveler was not a P5 level QB? He was never given a real shot, when there were times calling for him to get a real shot. I would hedge and say maybe given how it has turned out for Streveler, that maybe he was a P5 level QB and our coaches missed it and tried to move him to WR.

The guy threw for more than 6000+ yards and 54 touchdowns in two years at USD, including 4100+ yards/32 TDs, 720 rushing yards/11 TDs and was runner up for the FCS National Player of the Year as a senior (just 3 years ago). He won a Grey Cup and is currently on an NFL roster and even started a game this season. But, somehow we conclude he wasn't P5 level QB? At a minimum, how couldn't he get a real shot to beat out Mitch Leidner?

Martinez will be a 4th junior next year and a 4 year starter.

Since 2015, Nebraska’s 31-39 record ranks 90th nationally out of 130 teams. How long must this go on before this is just who Nebraska is?
In case you're wondering, Minnesota is 41-30 in that time.

Why would we conclude a guy who just started an NFL game two weeks ago is not a P5 level QB?

How do we know if Streveler was not a P5 level QB? He was never given a real shot, when there were times calling for him to get a real shot. I would hedge and say maybe given how it has turned out for Streveler, that maybe he was a P5 level QB and our coaches missed it and tried to move him to WR.

The guy threw for more than 6000+ yards and 54 touchdowns in two years at USD, including 4100+ yards/32 TDs, 720 rushing yards/11 TDs and was runner up for the FCS National Player of the Year as a senior (just 3 years ago). He won a Grey Cup and is currently on an NFL roster and even started a game this season. But, somehow we conclude he wasn't P5 level QB? At a minimum, how couldn't he get a real shot to beat out Mitch Leidner?

Because he wasn't a P5 level QB, that's why he didn't play QB at a P5 school.

McCaffrey is similar, he's not a QB at the P5 level.

.... Since 2015, Nebraska’s 31-39 record ranks 90th nationally out of 130 teams. How long must this go on before this is just who Nebraska is?...

SOT, but good conversation:

"We are who we are" o_O lamentation take years to marinate.

Jon Johnston (<---- this guy) of Corn Nation ought to compare notes with long suffering diehard Gopher fans. Some who've lived long enough to witness the Gophers 1960 National Championship. Maybe he doesn't have to lean against a tree that dogs have desecrated any more.

Good grief, I thought witnessing the 84-13 shellacking of the Gophers by the Huskers in 1983 was a long time ago! :eek:

Last edited:

Because he wasn't a P5 level QB, that's why he didn't play QB at a P5 school.

Got it. The CFL and NFL figured out the kid could play high level QB, but the Gopher offensive coaching staff at the time thought it best to play him at WR. He never got a real shot to even try to play QB at MN, so we really can't make the statement that he wasn't a P5 level QB. We can say he didn't play P5 QB, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have. Clearly, knowing what we know now, he could have, particularly on a team with a guy who was starting at QB, who had a career completion rate of 56% and a TD/INT ratio of about 1.1-to-1.

Last edited:

If Kill had started Streveler - the wins would have come and Jerry and his same coaches would be at USC or TN or TX but Jerry’s ego got in the way.

Top Bottom