Lovie Smith gone

Lovie may have had a tough time at Illinois but he was a class individual. I watch some of his press conferences. No excuses ... just honest down to earth answers. It was quite refreshing. He was likable and probably why he lasted as long as he dd.

Lovie has always been a likable guy, not a great coach.

I never thought it was good fit. I think Illinois factored there would be kids who wanted to play for an NFL coach, but I don't if Lovie had recruiting chops to make it. Illinois always ranked near bottom in recruiting

I'd look at Entz from NDSU or Leipold from Buffalo as mentioned

Lovie forgot his playbook from his time with the Bears; surround yourself with really, really good people. People love to point to his success with the Bears but forget that when he was with the Bears, he had THREE NFL Head Coaches on his staff holding him up. Maybe he just had a hard time getting quality staff under him at Illinois, whether it was the job or the salary.
I have a son who played for him 2 seasons. Lovie never had any fire in his gut, never showed any emotion, and seemed to have a hard time relating to 18-22 year olds after having coached in the NFL for 21 years. His OC and DC Garrick McGee and Hardy Nickerson were both duds. Considering the guy was a defensive coach his defenses were a sieve and only excelled at forcing fumbles. He didn’t want to do the things college coaches are expected to do such as address booster clubs, alumni and deep pocket supporters. He gave me the impression he was just there for the paycheck and the fact his wife is from Chicago.

I'd look at Entz from NDSU or Leipold from Buffalo as mentioned
Bolded: well they could just hire Craig Bohl from Wyoming. I don't think he or Entz are in the running at all.

I have a son who played for him 2 seasons. Lovie never had any fire in his gut, never showed any emotion, and seemed to have a hard time relating to 18-22 year olds after having coached in the NFL for 21 years. His OC and DC Garrick McGee and Hardy Nickerson were both duds. Considering the guy was a defensive coach his defenses were a sieve and only excelled at forcing fumbles. He didn’t want to do the things college coaches are expected to do such as address booster clubs, alumni and deep pocket supporters. He gave me the impression he was just there for the paycheck and the fact his wife is from Chicago.
Bolded: I totally get why some guys like coaching NFL better than college, and vice versa. If you can get those top level gigs, of course.

Bolded: well they could just hire Craig Bohl from Wyoming. I don't think he or Entz are in the running at all.
probably not but kleiman is doing ok at ks St. Entz knows Midwest, can develop

Wake Forest HC would be good hire imo

probably not but kleiman is doing ok at ks St. Entz knows Midwest, can develop

Wake Forest HC would be good hire imo
Entz, like Kliemann, know the upper plains. They were both Northern Iowa guys, though Entz also spent a lot of years at Winona State.

Most of the population and thus football talent is around the great lakes, though. Chicago and east, especially Ohio.

Entz, like Kliemann, know the upper plains. They were both Northern Iowa guys, though Entz also spent a lot of years at Winona State.

Most of the population and thus football talent is around the great lakes, though. Chicago and east, especially Ohio.
I am assuming Illinois isn't most attractive job, I'd look for guy eye for over looked talent and player development

LaVelle E Neal III was on KFAN and briefly talked about Lovie. Said that he just didn't work hard at recruiting. Didn't connect with Illinois HS coaches and was in Arizona during a critical time during the summer not providing leadership.

IL HS coaches had their summer clinic virtually and Fleck, Fitzgerald and Allen all spoke to the coaches, but Lovie did not.

LaVelle E Neal III was on KFAN and briefly talked about Lovie. Said that he just didn't work hard at recruiting. Didn't connect with Illinois HS coaches and was in Arizona during a critical time during the summer not providing leadership.

IL HS coaches had their summer clinic virtually and Fleck, Fitzgerald and Allen all spoke to the coaches, but Lovie did not.
Not a good look

Sounds like Tubby! My reputation precedes me, therefore things should just kinda happen without me having to really roll up my sleeves and DO anything

Sounds like Tubby! My reputation precedes me, therefore things should just kinda happen without me having to really roll up my sleeves and DO anything
Some think he knew the writing was on the wall.

Your leidner obsession is annoying and tired, get a new bit

Mitch was pretty far from perfect but as far as Gopher disappointments go . . . Mitch's shortcomings seem like a really bizarre thing to be hung up.

Wonder if the upset loss last night had anything to do with Liepold interviewing for the job and not focusing on Ball State.

If he keeps winning at Buffalo, like he has been, he'll get a P5 shot, no problem. Maybe even still this year.

Top Bottom