Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn commits to Michigan State

if the guys we're recruiting go to big ten schools, that doesn't help us at all.

Does that apply to Isaiah Dahlman, too?

Lighten up, fellas. The sun will come up tomorrow, and the next day.

Biggest nonsense is that he will just get recruited over at MSU posts. Of course at Minnesota Pitino would never try something like that.

Biggest nonsense is that he will just get recruited over at MSU posts. Of course at Minnesota Pitino would never try something like that.

Exactly.

If Riley LaChance commits to the U and two days later Tyus Jones tells Pitino he's committing to the Gophers, what do you think Pitino would do? Say, "Sorry Tyus, we don't have room for another PG."

Exactly.

If Riley LaChance commits to the U and two days later Tyus Jones tells Pitino he's committing to the Gophers, what do you think Pitino would do? Say, "Sorry Tyus, we don't have room for another PG."

Can see the point. Every coach in America would obviously take that deal. But Michigan State is an elite program and getting recruited over is much more likely, even with a good prospect like Nairn. Programs like Minnesota and Oklahoma aren't elite, so the chance of being recruited over is much less likely.

I was serious. You seemed pretty passionate about him going to IU or MSU. You got what you wanted.

I honestly don't mind that he ended up at MSU. If you think about it, they'd likely have a similar rated PG as him when playing us each year, whether they landed him or not.

At least he didn't pick IU. I can't stand Crean, and I NEVER want him to land a recruit.

I was serious.

That's what scares me, that someone can get this riled up when an 18-year-old kid decides he doesn't want to go to the local U. Turn the page. There are more fish out there. Hopefully Pitino gets the right ones for this program.

Exactly.

The effort of recruiting over him isn't the point at all, it's whether or not they will succeed in recruiting over him. If he had come here, we would continue to recruit highly rated players, but being that Izzo and MSU are more proven, they would be more likely to actually bring in a better point guard who could take his spot.

Having said that, I fully believe in Pitino and expect him and our staff to put together some very good teams here. Can't wait to see what he can do.

This reminds me a bit of the Naadir Tharpe situation. Similarity rated PG who went the "blue blood" route.

Haven't really heard from Tharpe since.

Exactly.

Good thing lachance can play the two

This reminds me a bit of the Naadir Tharpe situation. Similarity rated PG who went the "blue blood" route.

Haven't really heard from Tharpe since.

He'll be their starting PG this year and possibly next as well.

Bucket List visit to Phog Allen

He'll be their starting PG this year and possibly next as well.

I'll give a report on Tharpe's progress after the Jayhawks' season opener Nov. 8 vs. UL-Monroe. My SO's brother has season tickets for KU, so he generously offered me a visit to Phog Allen Fieldhouse while the ladies go to a Keith Urban concert in Kansas City. Seeing a game at The Phog has always been on my bucket list (along with the Palestra and a big-time college game @ MSG), so I couldn't pass on the opportunity even though it means I'll miss the Gophers' season opener vs. Lehigh.

I guess going to church with Crean, which a couple of posters were convinced made him a lock for Indiana, didn't do the trick.

Tum Tum is such a stupid nickname anyways. Good riddance. Yes, I'm bitter.

That's what scares me, that someone can get this riled up when an 18-year-old kid decides he doesn't want to go to the local U. Turn the page. There are more fish out there. Hopefully Pitino gets the right ones for this program.
Really doubt SS "wanted" him to go to MSU (can anyone really get into law school these says?) He is a run of the mill recruit for IZZO doubt if Izzo will need him to have a better team than gophs.

Really doubt SS "wanted" him to go to MSU (can anyone really get into law school these says?) He is a run of the mill recruit for IZZO doubt if Izzo will need him to have a better team than gophs.

This is my last post regarding this... He did want him to go to MSU (or IU). He was very specific about that because he objected to a number of other posters (myself included) that would have preferred he went to Oklahoma to stay out of the Big Ten.

The only good part about this is that Indiana missed out on another recruit.

This is my last post regarding this... He did want him to go to MSU (or IU). He was very specific about that because he objected to a number of other posters (myself included) that would have preferred he went to Oklahoma to stay out of the Big Ten.

Don't want to get in the middle of this, but I think he wanted him to go there if and only if he chose not to be a Gopher. Pretty sure he wanted him to be a Gopher first.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really stand that smug little whiny prick Izzo. (This of course has nothing to do with Narin)

I agree 100000%. He is the most self loving coach. He is only a notch below the grinch.

I don't think MSU is a bad spot for Nairn at all. In fact, I think they have been struggling to recruit lately and Nairn will see a good chunk of PT right away if he proves capable (i.e., not a bust like Isaiah Dahlman). If you look at past MSU rosters, such as 2009, they had a lot more talent than the MSU roster will have next season when Nairn joins - they had 5 or 6 solid top-50 recruits on that team (Lucas, Allen, Summers, Morgan, Roe ... Gray also was top-50 and played about 10 mpg) in addition to a 2009 NBA draft second-round pick and Walton who was a great glue guy ... not to mention future NBA'er Draymond Green as a frosh and another good frosh in Lucious. Look at next year, they definitely lose G Appling and F Payne have potentially at most Harris and Dawson as their only former top-50 recruits and nobody else was particularly close except maybe Nairn. Big step back in talent and quality depth for MSU compared to what it used to be, so yeah I see Nairn as having a fairly easy path to PT at MSU provided he isn't a bust.

Don't want to get in the middle of this, but I think he wanted him to go there if and only if he chose not to be a Gopher. Pretty sure he wanted him to be a Gopher first.

Obviously, but it was pretty apparent that we weren't going to get him. The discussion centered around the question of where would you prefer he go if he doesn't end up at the U. I don't understand how a "Gopher fan" can hope a recruit goes to a conference rival if he doesn't go to the U. I want to beat our conference rivals, so why would I hope they end up with a player that we really wanted?

Assume we miss out on the Big 3, are you really telling me the Gophers are better off with all 3 of them going to Big Ten rivals? In-state or out of state, it is better for us if our rivals don't load up on talent, especially players we were trying to get ourselves.

Top Bottom