Lou Holtz'a Perspective on Minnesota

At the time, he may have had a point.

He's still a king of douchebaggery, however.

What does he say about Minnesota. all i see is So I took the worst job in the country at Minnesota. what does that have to do with the current football team.

unless i missing something esle. i read all 3 pages. i still reading it and see 1 thing on Minnesota. unless i skipping over stuffs.

Lou knows his audience

Lou is very comfortable in his Anthony Robbins type appearances. He plays to the crowd and is knowledgeable of the crowd. One would think that Minnesota is equivalent to Prairie View A&M according to his comments.

But, I also recall in the early 90's, Lou was retained to speak at the company I worked for. It was a top sales exclusive club, where money was not spared. I was in a supporting role, however, I was able to attend some of the events. I made sure I listed to Cock a doodle Lou. He knew that many of the folks in the crowd were from Minnesota. Funny, he didn't speak about Minnesoa in those terms at that point. He said it was a wonderful job, one of the top in the Big 10. He gave all of the reasons that Minnesotans like to hear such as National Championship History, Fortune 500 companies, diversity, the Twin Cities, blah, blah, blah. By the end, he had those sales guys so ramped up, they probably thought Touchdown Jesus could be found in the corridors of the Metrodome.

Lou wants to retain a squeaky clean image, but he's got a lot of explaining to do. He can wax poetic about the glory years, but if he is ever questioned about possible scandals, the conversation is over. Can't blame him. It's worked for 30 years. Why change now?

I think if you consider the context,where he was at, and what level of coaching he was at. Minnesota might have been the worst job he could possibly consider. So I think it's quite possible that we could have been the worst job and one of the top jobs in the B10 both at the same time. So while both phrases are incompatible in the same sentence, both ideas are not.

And you know what, I think we might have been the worst job at the time. Pre TV exposure, unfair schollie limits, unsuportive admin, crappy stadium situation. He essentially had high expectations without a reasonable environment to achieve those expectations. It would be better to be at a small school and over achieve ending up in the middle, than being in the middle with no hope of reaching the top. Which is where we were. Notice, that all the barriers are removed, at least to the larger degree.

Who cares what Holtz has to say about anything? He's mastered the art of talking out of both sides of his mouth, so who cares what he thinks. He's ESPN football's version of Digger Phelps, too busy telling everybody how great Notre Dame is despite evidence to the contrary.

On top of that, the fact that he would take the Minnesota job out of spite and anger at another school's AD is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No wonder he left for Notre Dame two years later, all the while apparently openly lying to Gopher fans and supporters along the way. Ad that to the NCAA problems he had and you get a really nice picture of Holtz's true character.

But hey, Notre Dame is great, just ask Lou. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apparently, his wife forgot to tell him not to bad mouth Minnesota.
LOL!

Lou's 16 months in the state of Minnesota hardly qualifies as a chapter in his life.

Worst job in America? No way! Worst program? Its difficult to debate that.

Slew took over from Smokey Joe who had lost 19 consecutive Big Ten games on top of losing to Neb 84-13, OSU 69-18, Wisky 56-17, Michigan 58-10 and Iowa 61-10 his last year. Pretty pathetic.

Who knows what Slew would have accomplished if he would have stuck it out.

When Lou Holt coaches a team that doesn't get in trouble with the NCAA as soon as he leaves, then I will care what he has to say.

Worst job in America? No way! Worst program? Its difficult to debate that.

Slew took over from Smokey Joe who had lost 19 consecutive Big Ten games on top of losing to Neb 84-13, OSU 69-18, Wisky 56-17, Michigan 58-10 and Iowa 61-10 his last year. Pretty pathetic.

Who knows what Slew would have accomplished if he would have stuck it out.

Say....Lou must "not have been left much talent" by the previous regime?? How in the world did he manage to get 4 wins against BCS competition in his first year??? Kid Rock Brewster is still looking for number 4 going into year 3. He is 3-14 vs BCS competition?

Say....Lou must "not have been left much talent" by the previous regime?? How in the world did he manage to get 4 wins against BCS competition in his first year??? Kid Rock Brewster is still looking for number 4 going into year 3. He is 3-14 vs BCS competition?

I fail to see your point, what are you implying?

Zero substance but loads of question marks... Try harder next time.

Who cares what Holtz has to say about anything?

He was an asshole the minute he came here and left as an asshole and still maintains himself as an asshole today.

My favorite Lucifer Holtz coached team was that 99 South Carolina squad.

Top Bottom